+ Reply to Thread

Default help with receding hairline

Hi all,I am about a 2 on the norwood scale and want to try and tackle the problem before it gets worse. I have been looking at rogaine, problem is it's not recommended for receding hair, only for the vertex. I then looked at laser combs, but feedback is not brilliant and once again, not really for receding hair.
    Should i try minoxidl? Is the kirkland minoxidl as good as regaine?
    I was also looking at ds labs revivogen shampoo. Anyone had experience with it or something better? Is there anyone out there who has been in a similar position and found something that works?
    Could you pls help me with a starting point?
    Not really keen on propecia due to the sexual side affects.
    Thanks for your time.
    andy

Wecome Bokkie, with that nickname where are you from? I heard good reviews of the Kirkland brand. I myself don't use minox, since I feel it is too much effort. Also it basically just keeps the hair in the anagen phase while the miniaturization process still continues. If you stop you could lose a massive amount of hair in a short period of time. I know there are bad review of propecia, but give it a try for a month or so to see how you cope. I would suggest to start of slow, like a pill every second day.

Also check out Histogen, Replicel, ARI and Follica (I think they are building a time machine) as a better treatment may just be around the corner.

Good luck and keep the faith

Yes, try Minoxidil. It is too affordable not to know what it can do for you.

Yes, you will lose the hair you gained if you were to stop applying it, by why would you stop?

Thanks for reply. I am a Rugby mad South African, bokkie is the mascot for the springbok rugby team which is where I got my Nic from.
    Think I am going to try Kirkland Minox and Nizoral shampoo for a few months and see how i get on. my hair loss is gradual so i think i have time to try it out before taking the plunge and getting propecia, which is pretty expensive.
    My concern is that Minox is only recommended for vertex and not receding hair.
    Any thoughts on my choice? anything better shapoo wise than Nizoral?
    Am I right in saying that you need a prescription for propecia? Didn't really want to go to my gp about it.
    Thanks again
    Keep the advice coming
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by bokkie View Post
    Have no concern. The issue is that they are only legally allowed to state that it is effective in the vertex area because official tests were not conducted in other areas. This is an FDA mandate, however many people have had success with Minoxidil in the temple/frontal areas. Search around this forum and you will see the evidence. Of course, that is not a guarantee that it will work in your individual case.

Am I right in saying that you need a prescription for propecia?
    That is true in the United States. I am not sure of the laws of South Africa. You might be lucky and not need one. Either way, educate yourself about the potential side effects of Propecia (finasteride) first.

Thanks for reply. I am a Rugby mad South African, bokkie is the mascot for the springbok rugby team which is where I got my Nic from.
    Think I am going to try Kirkland Minox and Nizoral shampoo for a few months and see how i get on. my hair loss is gradual so i think i have time to try it out before taking the plunge and getting propecia, which is pretty expensive.
    Any thoughts on my choice? anything better shapoo wise than Nizoral?
    Am I right in saying that you need a prescription for propecia? Didn't really want to go to my gp about it.
    Thanks again
    Keep the advice coming
    Andy
    Hello, fellow Saffa, maybe we can win the Rugby World Cup this year? and then get rid of Snor. You would need a prescription for Fin in SA, it easier to see a Dermatologist as they deal with this issue more often. However, brand name propecia is not available in South Africa, only the generic Finpecia. Its better to fight it on two fronts. Its dead cheap, like R130 for finpecia and R300 for 6 months supply of Kirkland minox from the minox store. If you go to Discom Pharmacy for there minox you would pay about R200 for 1 month supply.

Bokke all the way! Thanks for that, but i actually live in the uk at the moment.
    I was hoping you didn't need a prescription in sa so i could pick some up on my next holiday there. Oh well
    Come on bokke!