+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: bimatoprost

Also, this may be of interest:

"Prostaglandin E2 induces fibroblast growth factor 9 via EP3-dependent protein kinase Cdelta and Elk-1 signaling."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16982695

So it seems there is a link between PGE2 and FGF9, which could be interesting for those following these two strands of research. Now I don't know if this relationship is sufficient to induce the kind of feedback signaling that Cotsarelis describes in his article in Nature as being necessary to instigate follicular neogenesis, but it seems to me that the main thing coming out of that article is that they need to introduce some chemical that either induces FGF9 production or mimics FGF9 (similar to how bimatoprost is a PGE2 analogue and not PGE2 itself) that they can introduce during the wounding process. They used some chemical to induce FGF9 production in mice during the studies reported in the Nature article, so either that chemical, or perhaps a PGE2 analogue. Or maybe just the PGE2 analogue could play an important role in FGF9 production without other processes.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    Agree with this 100%, alot of reason for cautious optimism but unfortunately this biotech industry moves at SUCH a slow pace I cant imagine anything significant being done without going grey market and taking a few risks.

I think histogen will come out and give you a solid 20-30% hairloss boost which is great, but full-out cures and alternatives wont be coming in the next few years, unless we go out ourselves and buy a product in early trials, which in itself is very risky!

judging from the latest theories, it seems to me that it wont be one single thing that cures your hairloss, but a combination of 2-3 different medicines(say PGD2 inhibitors, wounding/FGF9 to kickstart the cell, then PGE2 supporters) PGE2 we have in a minor way with say Minoxidil or the oils i believe, PGD2 we are very close to finding something grey market wise, however the major need may be that FGF9 wounding process, which I dont believe we may be able to do ourselves yet.

I think single medicines like histogen may reinforce and boost your hair, or FIN may maintain your hair, but i think the process to actually reverse hairloss will take multiple things.
    Rdawg, from what we understand of the concepts underlying the recent research, I think you're spot on that some sort of multi-faceted approach like what you describe (in fact, exactly as you describe it) would most likely be required. It's a little scary to think how long each of these components would take to get FDA approval.

Default Darkening of Skin

Is Bimatoprost known for darkening the skin of the scalp within the area it is being applied?

Default Question

Or have I already asked that question?

Default Pigmentation

Does bimatoprost change the pigmentation of your hair? So if I have brown hair, it'll change it to black?

The current product made by Allergan has been reported to have the potential to darken skin, but that product is made for eyelashes. From what I understand it is not common but it is listed as a potential side effect. It has also been stated by Allergan officials that they thought if their experimental product worked it might also darken scalp hair, but that is theoretical as that product does not exist yet (if it ever will).

You can ask others on here that have experimented with Bimatoprost or similar PGE2 analogues as to what kind of results they've had, but I haven't heard any evidence, either anecdotal or scientific, that the current formulations will do anything noticeable for scalp hair. It's really tempting to want to do something, even if there's no real evidence that it will work, but to be honest there's a very good chance you may spend a lot of money and not get any results at all. You may want to wait, as hard as that may seem, to see if Allergan is able to produce something for scalp hair that has shown evidence that it will work.

Default Wait

But wait for how long? How long will it be?

Default Promising

Are there any promising drugs that are in the pipeline for hair loss maintenance as alternatives to propecia?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris511026 View Post
    Are there any promising drugs that are in the pipeline for hair loss maintenance as alternatives to propecia?
    Histogen's HSC...which should be available in Europe by late 2015 and USA by 2018.

Also CB, which should be out in America by 2016..2017 at the latest.