+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When is the very best time to have a HT?

Hello all,

I wanted to put a question out there, from the title line you'll know what it is, a simple question but of course the answers and opinions are probably not.

All research done, HT surgeon chosen, money aside and all that personal stuff...

When is the very best time to have a HT?

- when you've just started thinning?

- you've been thinning for a while, you're on Finesteride and you think it's stabalised but want extra thickness?

- you've gone past the thinning stage and though the drugs maybe working you'd like to get it done before people could notice they you've had a HT stage (if that makes sense)?

- you're completely bald and you know what you're dealing with?

etc etc

The answer list is endless i guess but i'd like peoples opinions and i think the only people that know the score are the people that have had a HT done!

I look forward to replies from all professionals, non-so-professionals and everyone inbetween.

Regards,
    57mph

Personally I'd recommend giving Fin a try for at least one year and then making your decision on where you stand at that given time. Depending on the type of your loss, simply being on Fin could do wonders for your current situation. I think everyone on this board will suggest that you get on Fin immediately to prevent any additional loss. Best of luck.

thanks for the reply teg101, i was speaking metaphorically though.

I've been on Fin for nearly one year but wanted an understanding of how people thought about the best time to go for a HT.

Quote Originally Posted by teg_101 View Post
    Personally I'd recommend giving Fin a try for at least one year and then making your decision on where you stand at that given time. Depending on the type of your loss, simply being on Fin could do wonders for your current situation. I think everyone on this board will suggest that you get on Fin immediately to prevent any additional loss. Best of luck.
    But what's the point in Finasteride are you seriously prepared to take this drug for the next 10 years or until better treatments come alone (IF EVER THEY DO) I rekon wer gonna be stuck with fin for the next 20 - 30 years at this rate of progress.

thanks for the replies but it doesn't quite answer my question, can you give me honest opinions or experiences of when you think the best time is to have a HT?

I've looked through a lot of threads and posts and i can't quite get the answer i'm after, not that there is an answer but...

From what I've read when you transplant into existing hair that may continue to miniaturize you could possibly experience shock loss. Some doctors say that by being on finasteride helps prevent this. I would PM some of the doctors or their reps like Spex or Mattij

I think that patients who fit into all but the first of the four groups you listed would be considered candidates by most doctors, but there are so many more variables at play that even someone who has just started thinning (and who isn't on medication to stop it) might not be a terribly risky patient.

Having reached a state of complete baldness would obviously put you in a position of knowing exactly how much ground will need to be covered. This would be the ideal patient from a perspective of minimal risk. Most men don't want to wait that long though, and they might be waiting for an advanced hairloss pattern that they aren't actually destined to reach.

Really it's a personal choice based on how badly you want to avoid looking bald, and how bald you're willing to look before you say "that's enough"; and the main thing is to ensure that you're fully informed when you make that choice.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    But what's the point in Finasteride are you seriously prepared to take this drug for the next 10 years or until better treatments come alone (IF EVER THEY DO) I rekon wer gonna be stuck with fin for the next 20 - 30 years at this rate of progress.
    Not to go off topic in this thread, but..

The point? To prevent further loss and keep what you have. There is a ton of people out there that have taken the pill for 15+ years, and they are doing alot better than they would have been doing had they decided to not take action in their early stages of hair loss. I think the majority of people out there that are on the pill would agree to this. Take advantage of the hair loss solutions which we have in this present day and age, and should some better alternative come out in the future, switch to that.

interesting points mattj, thanks.

i think we all know, HT is one massive mine field, when; where; who; how, argh!

anyone else like to add to the thread?

I think 'mattj' has bought up some good points. I agree with in that only you will be able to make that final decision as to when is the right time for you. Personally, for me, it came down to two factors, finding the right doctor by continuously researching and viewing the results of a few key doctors in the biz, and knowing how i could maximize that amount of time I could take off from work and social events. While cost was another big factor, I think rates within North America are just marginal in difference, (depending on the type of surgery you go with) for some of the top docs. Every so often, I do question, what if I continue to lose more?? I am a NW 2, and my dad is in between a NW 6/7! I suppose its just a matter of telling yourself that you need to be prepared and comes to terms with the fact that hairloss and restoration could be an ongoing process for some. Apart from taking into account the obvious factors which i mentioned, i think it comes down to a question of how bad do you want it?