+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thumbs up

Spoke to Chris at length. My Pizzaro transplants are great, except there are very few of them that is. It looks like a picket fence. There are 700 at most. Since it was my first operation I analyzed every single graft at the recipient site daily. Those of us who have done a procedure know what I mean. Every single one she planted grew. Ergo, she did not implant the 1333.

Well, Dr Searle is going to do anywhere from 2500 to 3500 grafts to get it over with once and for all. Price is great of course.

There costs to operate are far lower than others so they can offer lower prices per graft. They also have to entice us to go out to Colorado.

I am having it done Sept 16th. Ten months after my first surgery.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billruppp View Post
    I went to the Colorado Hair Institute in Lone Tree Colorado (Denver Suburb) and am questioning the legitimacy of this clinic. I talked to Chris McTyre (Director) and he seemed to have all of the right answers such as: lateral slit technique with customized blades, Follicular Unit Extraction or Strip Extraction, Trichophytic Closure, Single hair placement at hair line, etc. I noticed that his business card didn't list him as a Dr. when he mentioned a winter special of 2$ a FU I became suspicious.
    Does anyone out there know anything about this person or clinic?
    The Medical Director is listed as Laura Darby M.D.
    I couldn't find much info online.

Bill
    The hair transplant industry is such a mixed bag. I have seen great work performed by doctors I have never heard of and terrible work performed by doctors people cheerlead in the forums. I did find a Laura Darby MD listed in Google... but I'm not sure if this is the Laura Darby MD you are referring to:
    Her profile lists hair restoration.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office in Atlanta, GA
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 08:09 AM.

Dr Searle does the procedure for CHI now.

Cool This is a strange industry

I have a receipting hair line and had the procedure done by Colorado Hair Institute several months ago. Here's how it went... Had the consultation with Chris and was told I needed less than 2000 grafts. We agreed on the amount and I was off to the races. Got there and was given my sedagive which did the job nicely. I really had no idea what to ask or how the procedure would be done (and Chris really didn't say) so I watched intently at everyone and their roles on 'D' Day.

Here was the procedure in a nutshell:

*MA's prepped the site and Dr. Searle did the incision and removal of the strip. Chris McTyre showed him where to cut. - No problem there except I would have expected the Doc to know without McTyre's help.

*My doner strip was transferred just outside the procedure room to a 'harvest counter' where two MA's dissected the strip for the 'follicular harvest.'

*Once my doner strip's follicular harvest was done, the hair follicles were transferred in a dish back to procedure room - No problem

*A medical assistant prepped the site for implantation - No problem

*An RN made the receiver sites with a scalpel - Not happy with this because an RN has no business cutting someone. That's not their core competency by a long shot. Searle stepped in as is likely required by law but otherwise was nowhere in sight. I didn't like it that Searle was being used for his license and solely for the surgical removal of the strip of my scalp. I had no idea the procedure was going to be done this way but the meds were kicking in so like a whore being raped I sat there and tried to enjoy it.

*Two medical assistants (maybe an LPN) sat on either side of my head while I lay on my back in a dentist chair with head slightly raised, and implanted the hair follicles into the sites cut by the RN. - At this point I was literally at these two's mercy. Two MA's who have zero formal surgical training except for whatever Chris showed them. This was the part I disliked like the most.

*The procedure began around 9am and ended around 5pm. In the end, I felt that they rushed and this was obvious to me.

*I drove home because the meds wore off and I was okay to drive.

I sat and slept upright for about 10 days. There was some pain at the incision site put Chris made sure I left with a script so the pain was easily managed.

Went back for a few laser treatments to stimulate the scalp and grow areas and that was the last time I was there.

The hair took about six months to start coming in and in the beginning it looked promising. I followed directions and used Nioxin system like recommended. After a few more months I noticed two things about my head and new hair. The hair I originally had on top had fallen out and all that remains is the hair CHI implanted. I found out this was due to shock from the procedure but it has not returned. Searly and Mctyre both told me about 80% of the hair transplanted would survive. That was the avg they said. Not in my case. I should look like Elvis if that happened. As it is, I estimate I have kept less than 50% of what they implanted. But to be perfectly honest, I am still happy I did it because I do look better now and even though the clinic was run the way it was, McTyre knows his shit. He's doing it for a low price because he knows what he's doing isn't rocket science. He knows exactly what has to be done and is training people to do it. This obviously included Searle, the doc. Knowing what I know now and understanding the procedure better, this isn't the worst way to have this procedure done by a long shot. The aseptic technique was professional and the clinic was run well. McTyre hires and trains the staff and to a point, oversees them. The more he trusts them the more rope he'll give. Face it folks, at two bucks a pop, you really do get what you pay for.

Everyone's results will be different so don't let all a I said scare you off from CHI. McTyre can't help it if he has salesmanship in his blood. It's part of who he is. He's also a very knowledgeable, experienced and accomplished medical surgical professional who takes his responsibility serious. Here is how I think he can charge so little.

Approximate staff pay per procedure:
    * 1 Receptionist@$12-14/hr x8hrs$96-112
    * 2 MA (LPN)@$15-25/hr x8hrs = $240-300 (add 1 MA or LPN = $120-160)
    * 1 RN @ $35-40/hr x8hrs = $280-320
    * 1 Doc = $400-500
    ************************Total $1200-1300

Clinic/McTyre pays triple net suite rental, phone, supplies and advertising broken down per day (apprx $300-500) and takes the rest.

So even at the low low price of $2/graf, Chris and his staff still do quite well. Especially if he schedules two or three in one day.

Mind you, the business side is pure speculation but just to give you an idea how this business/industry works.

Here is my end appraisal:

After all said and after all I know now and been thru, the thing I would look out for the most is experience and technique. Assuming you do everything you should, you still need to make sure the people doing the harvesting know how to:
    1) dissect/extract without mishandling and f,ucking up their prep of your hair follicles
    2) the incisions in your scalp are done by an experienced and qualified person
    3) the implantation of those follicles to be put in the receiver sites are done by AN EXPERIENCED PROFESSION (hopefully by the Doc because this is the absolutely most crucial part of the procedure and he should be the artist creating the hairline and filling in the areas needed)and without harming those VERY FRAGILE follicles. I mean, don't you want the smartest most qualified person in the room doing this job? The follicles are extremely sensitive and need to be inserted correctly to have the best chance to survive.
    4) don't believe the bullschitt about the strip not leaving a scar
    5) the receptionist removed the sutures from the incision and left a couple. There is a practice in medicine that you are supposed to know how many were put in so you know how many to remove. You have to actually read the chart to know this. This wasn't done and two and still logged in my skin and my skin grew over them. No huge deal but come on...
    6) pictures of people who have had the procedure with great sculpted hairlines and thick hair throughout is laughable compared to what I'm left with. That said, everyone is different, but lower your expectations of a perfect look by this clinic. Mine doesn't look natural at all but comb it so it's not immediately noticeable. I can live with it.
    7) my next procedure will be an FUE where the follicles are taken out individually rather than a strip and just fill in the work Chris' staff did.
    8) a clinic like this will have turnover so if you really want the highest quality work done, make sure you know how long the people doing the harvest have done it and how many procedures they have done. This is really a crucial part I think. Just make sure (or pray) you don't have some slappy they hired last week and has schitt for brains doing your procedure. Say bye, bye to your expectations if this happens.
    9) the hairline is close to non-existent except for the thin weird picket fence appearance and the fill in spaces where the widows peek on the sides/center looks even thinner. Hard to know who's to blame, my physiology or them.

That's all I can think of. So now that you know all I know, good luck and go in with some idea of what you're stepping into.

It's worth it I think and remember, you couldn't look worse than you already do.. so what do you have to lose.....

And if you chicken out, at least your mom still loves you.....

I got a FUT done here by Dr. Searle, and a tech that was flown out from I believe chicago. Pretty similar experience. I had 1600 grafts placed. They dont list who they use as their surgeon now, as Dr. Searle was indicted for a large marijuana scheme. I pretty much regret going here. The strip scar is pretty wide and it was supposed to be a trichophytic closure. not all the grafts took and now in the recipient area I have some pock marks and scarring as well. I have a consultaiton scheduled with Dr. James Harris in October to discuss either using FUE to cover my FUT scar and/or using FUE to fill in the recipient area. I have attached some pics of both the recipient area and the donor area. the recipient area is not terrible, but not a lot of the 1600 grafts seemed to take and there is some scar tissue and pock marks that I cannot seem to cover. The FUT scar is really the issue. this was supposed to be a trichophytic closure with a few mm scar at most. in the image you can see it is quite large and there is very little hair growing through it. again you get what you pay for.....now i have to spend $$ going to a reputable surgeon to correct what these guys did.

http://s4.postimg.org/44ixa440d/photo_2.jpg
    http://s17.postimg.org/xmhoquzsf/photo_4.jpg
    http://s30.postimg.org/5wojla01d/photo_3.jpg

and actually I dont have a huge amoutn of experience maybe someone could comment on my results. am I crazy or is that FUT scar really large?

Unhappy Give implants more time

Implants look like they're still coming in so give more time. He butchered you in the back. My implants hardly took especially at the hairline. My donor strip scar is straight but very noticeable because my hair is beginning to grey around the nape of my neck and up so when they took the donor area, then pulled up the bottom to suture to the top there is a ridiculous 'demarcation line between grey and brown hair. Like you say we got what we paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by BolderBalder View Post
    I got a FUT done here by Dr. Searle, and a tech that was flown out from I believe chicago. Pretty similar experience. I had 1600 grafts placed. They dont list who they use as their surgeon now, as Dr. Searle was indicted for a large marijuana scheme. I pretty much regret going here. The strip scar is pretty wide and it was supposed to be a trichophytic closure. not all the grafts took and now in the recipient area I have some pock marks and scarring as well. I have a consultaiton scheduled with Dr. James Harris in October to discuss either using FUE to cover my FUT scar and/or using FUE to fill in the recipient area. I have attached some pics of both the recipient area and the donor area. the recipient area is not terrible, but not a lot of the 1600 grafts seemed to take and there is some scar tissue and pock marks that I cannot seem to cover. The FUT scar is really the issue. this was supposed to be a trichophytic closure with a few mm scar at most. in the image you can see it is quite large and there is very little hair growing through it. again you get what you pay for.....now i have to spend $$ going to a reputable surgeon to correct what these guys did.

http://s4.postimg.org/44ixa440d/photo_2.jpg
    http://s17.postimg.org/xmhoquzsf/photo_4.jpg
    http://s30.postimg.org/5wojla01d/photo_3.jpg

I wish my grafts were still coming in but it will be two years in January so I doubt that. I have started using a dermaroller which may be helping with growing hair, and also on the scar along with silicone gel to try and reduce the scar. Hopefull it will help. Either way I cannot recommend this clinic. They flat out lie telling people they have over 25 years experience when they are using any dr with a license and poorly trained MAs.

You guys should look into recell sray on skin by avita medical, regenerative medicine. Ih ave a scar and i will be recelling it in the near future

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticalme View Post
    Implants look like they're still coming in so give more time. He butchered you in the back. My implants hardly took especially at the hairline. My donor strip scar is straight but very noticeable because my hair is beginning to grey around the nape of my neck and up so when they took the donor area, then pulled up the bottom to suture to the top there is a ridiculous 'demarcation line between grey and brown hair. Like you say we got what we paid for.

The donor can be repaired.

FUE is not scarless BTW and FUE cost more than FUT. In the right hands, FUE allows hair to be cut shorter without evidence of scarring. Here is one of Dr. Cole's patients who stopped by yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	After-FUE-Donor.jpg

Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	34816
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 08:09 AM.