+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You don't need to apologize for having questions. If I don't want to answer then I won't.

Considering your age and that you have very minor loss (if any), I would say that it's statistically unlikely that you will reach an advanced balding pattern. However, hairloss can be unpredictable and I cannot say for sure. Some guys don't start losing their hair until their thirties and then start losing it fast, but most men who end up with the 'horseshoe' start losing hair young.

You're right that hair goes through cycles. It grows, it sheds, the follicle rests and then it grows again. This doesn't cause there to be any noticeable loss of density as it is continuous with approximately 10% of hairs in the Telogen (resting) phase at any one time.

You could consult with a dermatologist and ask them to examine you closely for signs of miniaturization. This is when hairs start to grow back thinner and thinner until they become unnoticeable. They will also notice if the area of concern has reduced density in comparison to the surrounding hair. It wouldn't harm to get some better photos to show us though. How good is your hairline? Is it the same as when you were in your teens and twenties?

I'd say that you're a maybe, with a strong possibility of having mild crown loss. You should start reading about Propecia and Rogaine and decide whether you want to start using them. I normally advocate Propecia use as when it works it can work very well, but there can be side effects and for very slowly progressing and insignificant hairloss it might not be worth it. Rogaine too has it's side effects, and it can be a hassle to apply (and you must commit to using it), but it could be the best option for regrowing and maintaining at the crown if you want to avoid hormone level-altering internal drugs like Propecia.

Regarding hair transplants, it is possible to have a transplant to the crown but you are most definitely not in need of one.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hey mattj, I greatly appreciate it again & I have learned a lot. I'm going to visit a dermatologist soon. My barber has told me recently that he said that I'm "very" good for my hair at my age and I respect his opinion but I feel getting other perspectives are always good. Thank you once again and have a great day!

Default L shape

With this split in the left middle of my head, it goes down into my whorl area where that is more of a circle shape and it looks like it makes a "L" type shape. Could this be a pattern of mpb? Just kind of concerned that this could maybe form a "u' shape & maybe swallow up the hair in the middle, if this is possible? Looking at nw scales and it looks like the spot in the back evolves out and eventually meets the hairline. Thanks!

Default Question for mattj

Hey mattj ...when you said that you noticed thinning or less density of that split picture, were you talking about the left side of the part looking down? Reason I'm asking is that it seems like the hair in that area is starting to get smaller in size and seriously messing with me. Have been taking some Biotin so don't know if the hair is responding to that or it's a shed or what...thank you.

I was talking about that area, but I am not certain that I see any thinning.

Default one more question

Hey mattj. Thanks for getting back to me. One more question, would propecia or actually rogaine filled in this spot where scalp is exposed or is it too large of an area? Would probably rather do propecia so hopefully that would work. I have beem taking a biotin supplement for about a month now so maybe the biotin could possibly be causing more thinniing? Or is it kicking out the dead hair and regrowing..trying not to obsess sorry.

Also could malnutrition cause hair thinning? Reason i ask is that i am 6"1 and weigh 118 lbs and have been losing weight almost daily recently. Would this be something my dermatogolist could help me with for hair wise or my reg md? Thanks again, i greatly appreciate it.

I'm not sure if Biotin causes shedding like Propecia and Rogaine can.

If you have lost hair at the crown then Propecia or Rogaine could re-grow it, but I don't think (based on the photos) you've lost hair for sure.

Your weight issues (which sound quite serious) would not really be the area of expertise of a dermatologist. Malnutrition can certainly have an effect on hair.