+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post New to this and looking for some feedback / advice

Hi, I am a new member and have used propecia on two separate occasions. Once for 3 days, then got side effects, basically numbness, couldn't feel my penis. I tried it again about one year later and whilst the side effects were not as bad, I still had numbness and lost my morning glory... The good thing was that after stopping taking the drug both times the side effects disappeared. The first time it took two weeks and the second time they disappeared within 5 days. So I am wondering if only taking half the dose, 0.5mg per day, would eliminate the side effects, but still give me some of the benefit of the 1mg dose. I would be interested to hear from other people about their experiences of taking 0.5mg per day instead of 1mg and whether they had any success with hair regrowth and reduced or no side effects, thanks...

Doctor Representative

Red face

Almost all of our patients that have side effects while on Propecia resolve while staying on the medication. Usually within 30-60 days. It's often just an adjustment phase for your body.

On a personal note, my husband had some issues when he started it and took .5mg for a few months. He had no symptoms and after 90 days, he went to the full dose with no problems at all.

So, if it's okay with your doctor, it's worth trying.
    I am a representative for Paul J. McAndrews, M.D.
    My goal is to help answer questions about hair loss and hair restoration in an unbiased and informative manner. For more information on Dr. McAndrews, click here http://www.iahrs.org/DisplayProfile....%EA&sID=%B2%9A or http://www.hairgrowthdoctor.com/.

Smile

Thanks for the reply. I will give the 0.5mg a try and see how it goes, hopefully the side effects will disappear and I can then increase to the 1mg per day. My fear was that the side effects were still prevalent even after continuing with the treatment and also the risk that they could become permanent.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It is true that the side effects from Propecia often go away in 1-2 months if the patient continues taking medication. Unfortunetly, most patients panic when they think they are experiencing a side effect and immedietly discontinue taking the medication. I have a few patients that tried taking .5 mg daily and the side effects subsided. Some of these patients eventually were able to increase to 1 mg per day recommended dose.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    Hi, I am a new member and have used propecia on two separate occasions. Once for 3 days, then got side effects, basically numbness, couldn't feel my penis. I tried it again about one year later and whilst the side effects were not as bad, I still had numbness and lost my morning glory... The good thing was that after stopping taking the drug both times the side effects disappeared. The first time it took two weeks and the second time they disappeared within 5 days. So I am wondering if only taking half the dose, 0.5mg per day, would eliminate the side effects, but still give me some of the benefit of the 1mg dose. I would be interested to hear from other people about their experiences of taking 0.5mg per day instead of 1mg and whether they had any success with hair regrowth and reduced or no side effects, thanks...
    alot of people have this result with propecia...I think in 20 yrs we will know what the longterm results of this drug and my suspicions are it wont be good!try beta sitosterol i have had very good results and no side effects i have tried everything.i take 2 350mg am and same p.m.wwwphysician formulas.com goodluck!

The herbal products can have the exact same sexual side effect or even worse then Propecia. It’s always a risk taking supplements that alter your hormones because they are not regulated.

herbal products can be worse than synthetic pharmaceutical drugs???? ok...right ...

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Can you post more detailed ionformation about Beta Sitosterol 350 mg? Is it only compounded by private pharmacies? What is the cost?
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

beta sitosterol is a plant steral..just google.I buy mine online at www.physician formulas.com I take 2x350 mg am & pm..it works for me.it actually increases sex drive with me!

I have been on 1mg of Propecia for 4 months. My sex drive has tanked. I know Propecia is very effective in stoping hair thinning so after reading some internet comments I decided to take .05mg. I understand it is 80% as effective as 1mg. Started the half dose 2 weeks ago. No improvement yet but have my fingers crossed.