Hybrid View

Default From birth control pills to HRT

Dr Redmond,
    I will definitely buy your book. I recently menopaused so went from Demulen to combination estrogen (1.5mg) and progeterone (2.5 mg). I had experienced major hair loss while on the pill and unknowingly going through menopause. My derm says I have TE and angrogenic alopecia. He told me to use rogaine or he was afraid I would lose ALL of my hair! (I am not joking!)I couldn't tolerate the side effects of rogaine so he prescribed b12 and biotin. My hair is growing back and the shedding is decreasing but I am left with this horrible fear the my hair will all fall out because of his insensitivity. (And of course our biggest fear is that all of our hair will fall out when dealing with this scary issue!) After all of this, he told me if I coudn't manage my stress, I would only make it all worse! Please provide some feedback...thank you!

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cathleen View Post
    Dr Redmond,
    I will definitely buy your book. I recently menopaused so went from Demulen to combination estrogen (1.5mg) and progeterone (2.5 mg). I had experienced major hair loss while on the pill and unknowingly going through menopause. My derm says I have TE and angrogenic alopecia. He told me to use rogaine or he was afraid I would lose ALL of my hair! (I am not joking!)I couldn't tolerate the side effects of rogaine so he prescribed b12 and biotin. My hair is growing back and the shedding is decreasing but I am left with this horrible fear the my hair will all fall out because of his insensitivity. (And of course our biggest fear is that all of our hair will fall out when dealing with this scary issue!) After all of this, he told me if I coudn't manage my stress, I would only make it all worse! Please provide some feedback...thank you!
    In my opinion, based on treating between 5 and 10 thousand women with hair loss over more than 20 yrs, stress is not a factor in female hair loss. Being told that it is only makes women feel even worse. Stress is unpleasant of course, and very stressful in itself, but should not make anyone worry more about her hair. I am glad to hear that your hair is growing back.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.