+ Reply to Thread

Default Things to Do When Hair Loss Starts

I thought I'd compile a list of the top ten things to do if you start losing your hair to male pattern baldness:

1) Get on the 'Holy Trinity' of medications; Propecia, Rogaine 5% and Nizoral shampoo.

2) Start getting qualified in a profession where you can work for yourself. It will avoid a life time of being passed over for promotions if you can succeed on your talents rather than your image.

3) Start saving every penny you can, either for a future treatment or a hair transplant if you can't wait for that.

4) Keep your hair short, but don't shave it. Remember, when you cut yourself, you cover it up with a plaster. You don't cut a gauge of flesh out to make it look better!

5) Don't fall into the trap of thinking that expensive cars, clothes and gadgets will compensate for the hair loss. They won't. Hair loss is a license to give up on your image, not to have a midlife crisis. Nothing you wear or own will change the fact that in the eyes of the world you look crap.

6) Don't grow facial hair. It makes you look even older and it looks crap.

7) Don't have children. If you don't enjoy life any more because you're 20 and balding, why on earth do you think your children will be any different?

8) Get Toppik or Nanogen and start covering up. No one can tell you're using it and with the right hair spray it will not come out during the day.

9) Never laugh at a bald joke. Make sure you destroy the confidence and, if possible, the livelihood of any person who ever tried to make you the butt of a bald joke. I have had my job of deciding who to make redundant made far easier because of the stupidity of people who tried to cross me. It's a great feeling that takes your mind off your hair loss for a while. See what you can do.

10) Accept baldness as a license to give up on trying to reach the top. You can now enjoy a life of beer, comfy chairs and television!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    I thought I'd compile a list of the top ten things to do if you start losing your hair to male pattern baldness:

1) Get on the 'Holy Trinity' of medications; Propecia, Rogaine 5% and Nizoral shampoo.

2) Start getting qualified in a profession where you can work for yourself. It will avoid a life time of being passed over for promotions if you can succeed on your talents rather than your image.

3) Start saving every penny you can, either for a future treatment or a hair transplant if you can't wait for that.

4) Keep your hair short, but don't shave it. Remember, when you cut yourself, you cover it up with a plaster. You don't cut a gauge of flesh out to make it look better!

5) Don't fall into the trap of thinking that expensive cars, clothes and gadgets will compensate for the hair loss. They won't. Hair loss is a license to give up on your image, not to have a midlife crisis. Nothing you wear or own will change the fact that in the eyes of the world you look crap.

6) Don't grow facial hair. It makes you look even older and it looks crap.

7) Don't have children. If you don't enjoy life any more because you're 20 and balding, why on earth do you think your children will be any different?

8) Get Toppik or Nanogen and start covering up. No one can tell you're using it and with the right hair spray it will not come out during the day.

9) Never laugh at a bald joke. Make sure you destroy the confidence and, if possible, the livelihood of any person who ever tried to make you the butt of a bald joke. I have had my job of deciding who to make redundant made far easier because of the stupidity of people who tried to cross me. It's a great feeling that takes your mind off your hair loss for a while. See what you can do.

10) Accept baldness as a license to give up on trying to reach the top. You can now enjoy a life of beer, comfy chairs and television!
    Only #1, #3, and #8 are worth considering.

I actually thought this was a great idea for a post, but once I clicked and realized it was just another way for Fixed35 to brainwash freaked out hairloss sufferers into thinking their life is over, I was dissapointed.

See a psychiatrist please.

Are there any mods on this site?

11) Don't spend any more time on the hair loss forums then you need to. Get the HT information you need/get on the necessary meds, and be patient. Take pictures every 2 months, and wait 1-2yrs and see if you notice an improvement in hair growth/slowing down of hair recession. During this time, avoid the forums and the crazies that have a horrible attitude on life. Enjoy yourself as there are plenty of great things in life besides hair. Come back when necessary.

Sorry, but I struggle to take posts from you seriously since in one post you described your father as bald and in another you said he had a full head of hair. You have no integrity and I doubt your authenticity.

So sod off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    Sorry, but I struggle to take posts from you seriously since in one post you described your father as bald and in another you said he had a full head of hair. You have no integrity and I doubt your authenticity.

So sod off.
    This is somewhat personal, but I have 2 dads. One is my natural father and has a full head of hair (nw1 - nw2), the other is completely bald. I rather not delve into this topic further.

Question your sanity before questioning my integrity.

Believe what you will. That you claim to be a balding man who isn't discriminated against is enough for me to have no confidence in your authenticity whatsoever.

I should add to that that the only people baldness doesn't seem to bother, in my experience, are unskilled people who were going to be losers in life anyway.

Fixed_by_35, you are very angry about your hairloss. You feel it's unfair, you feel betrayed, you wish you had never existed. You feel life is not worth living with this horrible disfiguring condition.

Our hairloss all makes us feel that way. I feel the same way you do, and I'm not gonna tell you to 'get over it' or try to cheer you up because that's stupid.

I just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel. Hairloss is not your fault or mine, we were born with it.

The biggest mistake I made was to not educate myself properly...

THAT is what I recommend someone does when they first start to bald.

Seriously...if I did educate myself I would have been on finasteride or something since long ago and definitely would have preserved a lot!

I just though "hey if it gets bad once I am 25 or so I will just get a HT"

what a damn IDIOT I was. What a stupid idea. I still don't blame myself though... since this crap is not my fault. But I should have been better educated.

Why couldn't someone go, hey man you have good hair... you need to think of starting using at least nizoral or something now. Perhaps finasteride every other day and phase into it.

But noooooo. I just let the DHT termites eat away at my follicles.

Dammit.

I strongly believe my approach will make life far more tolerable than the 'head in the sand' group who go to the gym, get a tan and shave their head. They just look like they're going through a mid life crisis. I prefer to look like a physical victim of a disease, rather than a mental one!

If I followed their path, I'd let baldness beat me, let the cycle repeat itself on the next poor generation and I might even lead myself to believe my lack of corporate success is due to my business skills rather than my hair; that would be a massive blow to my self esteem, based on lies.

It's far better to know 'if I had hair, I would be more successful, the ' statistics back me up' than 'I work damn hard every day, but I must be rubbish at my job because I never get noticed or promoted.' It's frustrating knowing what is holding me back is out of my control, but at least I know it isn't my fault.