+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Evidence for PRP (including growth factors)

So I've been considering spending the money on PRP to maintain what hair I have for long enough that I can switch to a superior maintenance drug when it comes on the market (maybe CB or setip?).

Here is the main study I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4338465/

This study was completed just a few months ago. I should add a word of caution that this study has only 22 total participants of which 2 are women. So of the 20 men, most of them were Norwood II or III and some were Norwood IV. They find a couple of very promising results. They labelled the times in the following way:

T1, beginning of study; T2, 3 weeks; T3, 6 weeks; T4, 3 months; T5, 6 months; and T6, 1 year.

The results are in the following link.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...8465/table/T2/

It seems that, on average, people still gained 10 hairs per square centimenter 1 year away from the treatment. That is effectively maintaining the amount of hair you have. They report that nobody in the study actually lost hair density over the year which means that every single person (of the 20) at least maintained their hair.

This is my first time looking at PRP studies--am I being too optimistic or does this seem very good? Granted, you need to spend up to 2k on the treatment but some people were easily spending $700/yr on Propecia which has to be taken every day and has potential side effects.

Any naysayers and people with evidence that this does not work are especially welcome. Please come forward.

Quote Originally Posted by kantian View Post
    So I've been considering spending the money on PRP to maintain what hair I have for long enough that I can switch to a superior maintenance drug when it comes on the market (maybe CB or setip?).

Here is the main study I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4338465/

This study was completed just a few months ago. I should add a word of caution that this study has only 22 total participants of which 2 are women. So of the 20 men, most of them were Norwood II or III and some were Norwood IV. They find a couple of very promising results. They labelled the times in the following way:

T1, beginning of study; T2, 3 weeks; T3, 6 weeks; T4, 3 months; T5, 6 months; and T6, 1 year.

The results are in the following link.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...8465/table/T2/

It seems that, on average, people still gained 10 hairs per square centimenter 1 year away from the treatment. That is effectively maintaining the amount of hair you have. They report that nobody in the study actually lost hair density over the year which means that every single person (of the 20) at least maintained their hair.

This is my first time looking at PRP studies--am I being too optimistic or does this seem very good? Granted, you need to spend up to 2k on the treatment but some people were easily spending $700/yr on Propecia which has to be taken every day and has potential side effects.

Any naysayers and people with evidence that this does not work are especially welcome. Please come forward.
    It's your money. You have the right to waste it as you please.

It doesn't work. It doesn't maintain. It just depletes your bank account. I have had this done personally with Dr. Greco, as did a friend of mine. Doesn't work. Did absolutely nothing for me but actually increased shedding.

It's weird that he publishes results showing that it works, and independent (presumably) researchers are also publishing results showing that it works.

When you say it didn't work, did you continue to lose hair at the same rate?

Yes, and with $1k less in my bank + travel. It literally did nothing. My shedding slightly increased and it did nothing in the form of a positive. I was desperate and willing to try anything. I don't regret it, but would never recommend it or do it again.

Pure scam IMHO.

I had it with Greco and noticed slightly thicker hair throughout, some thick hairs at my hairline, and a bunch of tiny hairs at my temples. Not a huge difference but I could notice it. My only other treatment was nizoral. I also shed a lot throughout which to me means it was doing something.

Justinian, did you essentially maintain the same amount of hair you had when you had the treatment to 6 months after the treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    I had it with Greco and noticed slightly thicker hair throughout, some thick hairs at my hairline, and a bunch of tiny hairs at my temples. Not a huge difference but I could notice it. My only other treatment was nizoral. I also shed a lot throughout which to me means it was doing something.
    You're grasping for straws in your experience with PRP.

What you describe is not worth the $1k+ this treatment is to do. It's just not and I'd bet you would agree. Slightly thick hairs at the hairline? Dude, PRP did not create those. Seriously? Don't let the OP throw away valuable cash. Have him use our experiences as a way to dodge this.

Honestly, to the OP, do what you want...but you have been warned. It is not worth the expense and hassle. The results are no way aesthetically pleasing and very difficult to even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by StayThick View Post
    You're grasping for straws in your experience with PRP.

What you describe is not worth the $1k+ this treatment is to do. It's just not and I'd bet you would agree. Slightly thick hairs at the hairline? Dude, PRP did not create those. Seriously? Don't let the OP throw away valuable cash. Have him use our experiences as a way to dodge this.

Honestly, to the OP, do what you want...but you have been warned. It is not worth the expense and hassle. The results are no way aesthetically pleasing and very difficult to even notice.
    It's all relative. 1k isn't that much to me and I don't want to nuke my body to fix my hair.

Also it was just a two hour drive for me. Way less of a hassle than any other treatment. Multiple treatments are probably better too.

And by thick hairs I meant I have a couple dozen hairs that got much thicker and stand out. Not a cosmetic difference but I can notice it was doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by kantian View Post
    Justinian, did you essentially maintain the same amount of hair you had when you had the treatment to 6 months after the treatment?
    Id say I've regrown a little. Not a lot, but a little that's probably only noticeable to me. Also, remember I was on nizoral which has been proven equal to minoxidil 2% in a study.