+ Reply to Thread

Question excessive body hair and hairloss, any correlation?!

So I've been noticing at the gym and in my surroundings that men with excessive body hair tend to have a higher chance of male pattern baldness. And the men who do not have excessive body hair (or no body hair) do NOT have male pattern baldness.
    Has anybody else noticed this? Is their any correlation to these 2 things?

It's friggin annoying because I'm losing my hair on my head and gaining it on my back. ****, human physiology is cruel. I'm spending money on fin and minoxidol to put hair on my head and I spent money to remove hair from my back. Meanwhile the guys that aren't hairy also DO NOT LOSE THEIR HAIR.

I think so. I dont know many bald teens and coincidentally once all the secondary male characteristics like body/facial hair start showing up is when baldness starts showing up. Androgens supposedly cause both to happen although propecia does not stop DHT and does nothing for T so its not a perfect indicator of that.
    Androgens cause baldness and body hair so I think there certainly is a pretty big factor although genetics and yet to be understood factors are probably at play too

The incidence of MPB is unrelated to body hair.

Of course its mainly genetic but I still think there is some link between androgen levels and hair growth in places where men get it and women dont.

While it seems logical, it's simply not the case. I for one am a very hairy guy on my face and body and I'm balding. I also know a few guys personally who are extremely hairy, even more so than me, and they are just fine in the head hair department. Also there are people I know in life and I have read on the forum, that don't have much body or facial hair at all and still have hair loss.

I mean MPB is mainly about androgen sensitivity first and foremost but we dont know much about how that works. I am saying after that it comes down to absolute androgen levels in most cases. I would take the bet that more men with bad baldness are very hairy then those that arent. Its not always true because genetics + sensitivity is more important though which are two pieces we dont understand well yet
    Also there is speed of hair loss which I would bet is faster and more aggressive in men with higher androgen levels than those with lower but again its not in all cases just most IMO. We could find out tomorrow that androgens dont do anything and its pgd 2 levels changing up/downstream from that which is really causing MPB. Its certainly way more complex than just androgen levels but this is just one step we are able to intervene currently and we have proof it works
    This is my opinion I dont know if there is any proof of a cause/effect relationship between androgen levels and baldness just based on castration preventing MPB and propecia seems to imply there is some connection.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    The incidence of MPB is unrelated to body hair.
    I read something that 80% ~ of males with excessive body hair have MPB.

Of course that doesn't mean much other than "fun fact statistic".

And the funny thing is I'm getting hair on my back and some hair on my ears and losing from the top of my head. F u mother nature and genetics.

Judging from the amount of women I see with lots of back hair and facial hair (not many) I think its a safe bet hormones like T and DHT are major players in head hair loss, and hair growth in all the other places for men. It seems like it pretty much has to be. Estrogen might be involved too but I think T is a huge one maybe more so than DHT when it comes to hair growth everywhere else which makes sense with how abundant T is in men and not women
    I am still curious to see someone use RU or CB before they grow any facial/body hair to see if it prevents it from coming in completely or not maybe just a small patch as an experiment. I think it would prevent hair growth completely if it stopped T and DHT nearly 100 percent.

agree with burtanderie