+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Keto shampoo every day?

I always hear "do not use keto shampoo more than 1x-2x weekly"....I asked why one time because the main study showing its effectiveness for MPB used it 2-4x weekly. People said using it more often can make you shed, someone even said it can accelerate MPB if used too often (how??)

For a long time I used keto shampoo 1-3X weekly. My scalp took a turn for the worse in the last 5-6 months....too much oil, shedding, possible "andro alopecia itch" (never used to know what that was but now it seems like I have it... am a diffuser but, I have areas w/ more aggressive loss & they seem to tingle/itch more than anywhere else). I am using dut + fin every day BTW

Finally I got sick of the discomfort & started using my 2% keto shampoo like 4-6x weekly (started maybe 2-3 weeks ago), exactly what we are told NOT to do. Followed by conditioner as usual. My scalp feels insanely better....minimal itch, minimal oil, & I notice much less shedding

Before I was shedding a decent amount including thicker hairs, pull tests would usually produce 1-2 hairs. Now most of the shed hairs are miniaturized/weak & pull tests virtually never produce any hair (just now I pulled like 6-7 times in the parts of my scalp where hair loss is most aggressive....not a single hair came out)

Question to consider. Is this just the calm before the storm, and if I keep using so much my hair will take a huge hit? Or is it possible we are under-utilizing this part of the MPB regimen which is usually overlooked/ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    Thank you for sharing. I have not seen data showing daily use is bad. Can you share the source with us so we can review it.

Most of the current protocols are based on treating scalp fungus. This is why you hear the 2-3x/week usage guidelines(its just copied over from the more common usage guidelines). However, maybe a study exists on adverse effects of over usage that I am not aware of and would love to see it.
    Thank you
    This is the thing....I do not know of any studies showing daily use to have ill effects. But it is like a universal saying on hair loss forums that 1-2x weekly is the most you should use keto shampoo

I developed a rash after doing this, and it didn't go away after stopping. It's not as bad now, but it's still there.

I used revita everyday for about a year but after a while my hair seemed a little dry so I've switched to regenepure Dr and my hair no longer feels as dry. Can't say I've noticed any other negative effects from using keto daily apart from the dry hair.

Quote Originally Posted by lukey View Post
    I used revita everyday for about a year but after a while my hair seemed a little dry so I've switched to regenepure Dr and my hair no longer feels as dry. Can't say I've noticed any other negative effects from using keto daily apart from the dry hair.
    Has it helped your hair loss Lukey?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
    Has it helped your hair loss Lukey?
    Well I'm on Fin and Minox as well so how much the shampoo is contributing I don't know. Can't imagine it's doing a lot but every little helps.

Going to continue w/ this for now. Making my hair dryer than I would like but my scalp feels so much better. Will update if anything worth posting here

I sometimes get small sores on my head, which sometimes bleed a bit, from 1% keto, even when used only once or twice a week. Weird thing is I don't really remember having this problem on the 2%.

I also make sure not to use more than 2-3 times a week.
    The reason (for me at least) is to minimize systematic absorption since using ketoconazole on wet scalp increases absorption. Systematic (oral) consumption of ketoconazole introduces risks to the liver and adrenal gland. you can read the FDA take on it here: link.

So I guess 2-3 times a week for the long run is just a safe bet.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Going to continue w/ this for now. Making my hair dryer than I would like but my scalp feels so much better. Will update if anything worth posting here
    Hey man, so you are still on the DUT? I remember you from a year or two ago about to go all kamikaze on antiandrogens. So I guess the DUT is working, how long did it take before it started to benefit you?