+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Follica

Default Follica

I know it has been discussed quite some times around here but i would like to come back on the technology follica is using to make new hairs grow.

First of all i noticed their site has been updated, which hasn't been done for years. They even never disclosed any kind of information for years but now there is even a 'newsroom'. Maybe this means they are now trying a different approach, trying to draw more attention to their product and actively searching for funding...

see: http://www.follicabio.com/

Second, i went trough their clinical trial protocol of 2007 in the european clinical trial register:

https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.e...9-018191-34/DE

This states clearly that they are doing a clinical trial on 'Lithium gluconate in hair follicle regrowth' and they are making use of the topical LITHIODERM 8% Gel.

The main objective of the trial is described as follows:

"Primary: To compare changes from Baseline to Day 84 in the number
    of photographically detected hairs in subjects treated with
    controlled cutaneous perturbation using dermabrasion (DA –
    a more superficial perturbation) plus the topical application of
    lithium gluconate 8% gel, to those subjects treated with
    controlled cutaneous perturbation plus the topical application
    of placebo gel."

So basically they are doing two things: 1. Dermabrasion 2. Applying lithium gel.

Furthermore, i found an article that states very, very clearly that they are making use of already know and safe methods and compounds. This is why their technology cannot be patented but has to be kept a 'trade secret'.

http://www.fiercebiotech.com/special...eloper-follica

I know there have been posts on this in the past etc. but then after a while i stopped hearing any news while this can be a way for the community to actually mean something and be ahead of all those multimilionaire pharmaceuticals. How nice would it be if the cure was just available to all of us, without anyone making any perverse profits of our despair?

So i just wondered if anyone has ever tried for a deliberate period of time to do some dermarolling and afterwards applying Lithium gel / Shampoo, and what was the result?

I used to be really hyped about follica but I think things didn't pan out for them in these last trials.

lithium didn't show great effects on human scalp after wounding. it only showed some success in mice, but as you know EVERYTHING grows hair on mice.

further, i can't take Dr. Cots (follica) serious anymore. they've been teasing us with almost ready cures and said they are able to consistenty grow new hair, something that no other company is capable of. and then, last year, Dr. Cots told desmond he needs money, and that a full blown cure will not come in the next 10 years. so what should we think of that?
    doesn't matter anymore. his hairloss guru status will be soon a thing of the past anyway, when iPS cells turn out to be successful and grow a lot of brand new hairs. nobody will talk about him and follica anymore. that's my opinion.

This forum's enthusiasm runs on news, and since Follica has been air-tight in that regard, people here have written them off. Nobody on here knows anything credible. On top of that, everyone on here is emotionally vulnerable to good news, bad news, or no news.

Stop counting certain companies out because they don't feed your reward center with positive bits of information all the time. They discovered the primary culprit of hair loss and can repurpose already known chemicals for a treatment. They made their announcement about PGD2 3 years ago, as fas as I know finasteride was approved for hair loss within a similar timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by It's2014ComeOnAlready View Post
    They made their announcement about PGD2 3 years ago, as fas as I know finasteride was approved for hair loss within a similar timeline.
    I don't think they'll release a PGD2 inhibitor instead of their complete solution when its supposed to be around the corner (relatively speaking of course).

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    I don't think they'll release a PGD2 inhibitor instead of their complete solution when its supposed to be around the corner (relatively speaking of course).
    Why do you believe that? I'm only asking because if this treatment to give a bald person a full head of hair is a decade away, what's the benefit in waiting that long?

Why do you believe that? I'm only asking because if this treatment to give a bald person a full head of hair is a decade away, what's the benefit in waiting that long?
    Because I dont think PGD2 was ever their goal, it was simply a finding by Cotsarelis rather than Follica's. The two aren't related.

Also, let's say bim does well and is released as a new treatment. PGD2 + bim would reverse a man (or woman's) hair loss in the early to mid stages. Giving a bald man a full head of hair is something completely different. Why not make billions from this product every year, instead of waiting a decade to put it all out there?

Also, let's say bim does well and is released as a new treatment. PGD2 + bim would reverse a man (or woman's) hair loss in the early to mid stages. Giving a bald man a full head of hair is something completely different. Why not make billions from this product every year, instead of waiting a decade to put it all out there?
    Because thats just snubbing the NW4+ men. That's not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Because I dont think PGD2 was ever their goal, it was simply a finding by Cotsarelis rather than Follica's. The two aren't related.
    Then why even talk about creating a new treatment? PGD2 is worth billions, and would be an effective treatment for millions and millions of men and women. There are a lot more people out there who are in the process of balding, then those who are completely bald. I think you're wrong about it not being their goal, or at least one of their goals. I think it stands to make a lot more money, than to give a bald person a full head of hair. A lot of those people have moved on, one way or another. If they don't like being bald, they'll be able to change that in the future, but there are a good number of men who can deal with it and have moved on.

And if you think the number of men and women who are completely bald is greater the number who are in the process of balding, you are completely wrong.