Has Beard/Body hair FUE advanced enough to use on Crown? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Has Beard/Body hair FUE advanced enough to use on Crown?

Hi guys,

I had great success with my strip hair transplant by Dr. Rahal two years ago, when I had my consultation before the operation Dr. Rahal told me that I did not have enough donor area in the back to cover my crown and he advised that I don't do another strip for the crown since as I age I should use the donor area that I have left for the sides of the front which should begin thinning as I get older.

That was a few years ago, what I am thinking is to possibly get some donor hairs from my beard to put on my crown so that I don't have to use Caboki that often anymore.

Has anyone succesfully gotten at least 1,000 FUE grafts from beard successfully transplanted into crown? If so who is the best surgeon for beard/body FUE?

Thanks!

ThatGuy87,

You were provided wise words of advice by your doctor because crown loss can and will demand as much as 60% of one's available scalp donor. Does your crown currently have some level of existing native hair or is your crown barren of any hair?

Generally speaking, BH whether from beard grafts, chest, etc., can potentially be a viable donor source when they are "blended in" with existing native hair or with an adequate amount/level of scalp donor. I say potentially because not everyone has success with BH including the use of facial hair as a donor source.

In other words, BH as a stand alone donor source can have issues with visual compatibility, duration of growth cycles, and also FU graft size. Most BH grafts are single hair FUs. Obviously, multiple hair bearing FUs provide more visual coverage versus single hair grafts. So it would take many more grafts numerically speaking to provide the level of visual coverage than multiple hair bearing grafts that for the most part, can only come from the scalp. It would take such a large amount of single hair grafts to achieve any real practical level of density and corresponding visual coverage especially if starting with a barren surface area.

I always recommend starting with a smaller trial session to see how you respond to the use of BH for the reasons that I stated. There has been quite a buzz in the hair loss community regarding the use of beard grafts yet how many of these guys have come back showcasing or giving testimonials of their results? Very few and I mean very few. Does that mean that I am against the use of beard grafts as a viable donor source? Not at all.

But what I have observed to date is success more so in the arena of scar repair such as the case of NEGuy who is a great success repair case IMHO. He has an ongoing intriguing thread in this same section of the forum and his surgeon is Dr. John Cole.

IMHO, there has not been any cases of what I would rate as successful when using BH as a stand alone donor with the exception of scar repair. Keep in mind that the definition of success can vary between individuals.

One last comment. I recently heard from a guy with photos who had a barren crown and he is using a partial hair system to cover his crown. He is using anchor/clips to hold it in place and I must say, it looked very natural. He had three separate HT procedures for his frontal zone and mid-scalp and he looks completely restored!

Best wishes to you in your journey...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

ThatGuy87, I'm glad you asked this question. I did a mega session (3200 grafts FUT) with Dr.Rahal 2-3 years ago to restore my hairline. Unfortunately to my horror, the top/crown agressively thinned out and I now have in my crown some complete baldness. I resigned myself to wearing a hair system Dec 2014 and on SOME days I'm happy with it, but most of the time I live with the discomfort of being "discovered".. by someone deciding to run their fingers thru my hair or someone noticing something weird in my hairline. So I recently contacted Dr.Rahal's office and apparently I would not have enough donor hair to sprinkle everywhere I want to fill in. So I asked about beard hair, which in my neck I dont mind getting rid of! They said they dont do it because of unpredictable results but recommended Dr. Umar in L.A. To tell you the truth, I'm still paying off my HT, and with the CDN dollar being what it is, Dr. Umar is not even an option right now. So maybe I will need to resign myself to going for a 2nd HT to fill in the middle and just get a partial hair system like was mentioned here.

I would love to see pictures of people who wear partial hair systems. (Im surprised to hear of clips being used in 2015. Adhesive liquid or tape is all that I know of that is being used...)

Clips may not seem ideal because of the scarring that can be left if the clips are ever removed and really should only be considered if there is a long term commitment to wearing systems.

I wore them for 11 years and used both tape and glue. I did not like either because the system can still come off with sports activity and perspiring, etc.

I used to have to go back to have new glue re-applied every 30 days otherwise it would begin to break down and loose its adhesiveness. Tape requires daily application and not the strongest option for the active individual involved in sports, workouts, etc.

But it is an option and better than having no hair...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Clips may not seem ideal because of the scarring that can be left if the clips are ever removed and really should only be considered if there is a long term commitment to wearing systems.

I wore them for 11 years and used both tape and glue. I did not like either because the system can still come off with sports activity and perspiring, etc.

I used to have to go back to have new glue re-applied every 30 days otherwise it would begin to break down and loose its adhesiveness. Tape requires daily application and not the strongest option for the active individual involved in sports, workouts, etc.

But it is an option and better than having no hair...
    Gillenator, is that you on the thumbnail with your username? Your hair seems to look really good. I'm still in awe when I see someone with a system wearing the front hair in a way that exposes the hairline... I have yet to be able to do that. Maybe thats why Im getting discouraged!

I think Gillenator is a bit pessimistic about beard hair:
    1. He says that beard hair does not cover as much as scalp hair because most of beard hairs are single units, which is not really true. Most of beard hairs are single units as Gillenator stated but they are much thicker than scalp hair thus they give more optical illusion of coverage. The reality is that a single unit graft of beard hair covers more than two units graft of scalp hair.
    2. He also said that there are very few successful cases shown in the net. And he mentions a case of Dr Cole, which is a good case, but he forgets to mention several cases of Dr Bisanga like Topcat, Ejj and some others. And what about Dr Umar who has plenty of them?. Or Mwamba who also showed a good repair case using beard hair. Also Lorenzo and Couto are using beard hair and showing positive results and growth...Even some Turkish clinics are using more and more beard hair with success shown in their websites.

I agree with Gillenator that cautious approach should be used because yield does not seem to be as predictable as with scalp, but everyday more and more Top Drs are using it when scalp donnor is depleted and they get a considerable success with it.
    On the other hand, I do not think body hair (different than facial or beard hair) really survives transplant and in this corner I must repeat Gillenator's words, almost no successful cases shown in net proves it.
    To sum up, beard hair works and it is more than shown and well documented in the net but body hair doesn't.

Gillenator, what do you mean by scarring caused by the clips? Are clips surgically implanted???? I thought clips were attached to the growing bio hair?

Also, you mention you wore a system for years... did you end up getting a transplant?