+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Derivation of Hair-Inducing Cell from Human Pluripotent Stem Cells

Article has 15 mentions of the word 'mice'.

Don't expect any of the following people to move it to humans: Ksenia Gnedeva, Ekaterina Vorotelyak, Flavio Cimadamore, Giulio Cattarossi, Elena Giusto, Vasiliy V. Terskikh & Alexey V. Terskikh.

Just a healthy dose of reality!

Should we send it to Replicel?

Thanks for posting the full study, much appreciated!

All this scientific stuff makes me mad.:-D could someone break this down for me so I can understand the results.. :/

wow relatively detailed information here. i think other researchers could even be able to easily replicate this experiment, as the culturing methods and mediums are disclosed as well.

also interesting is that iPSC cells are less efficient than embryonic stem cells (hESC). however, those guys still suggest that iPSC could be a possible way to get enough cells. as these cells can be multiplied indefinitely you can afford if only a few percent of the cells are usable and inductive for hair formation.

also new is (and it seems to be the key to the DP cell creation) that they had to create the DP cells through an intermediate step called the NC cells. if this step is skipped, and DP cells tried to directly be differentiated from iPSC cells, then they lose their inductive potential.

further, i don't see them mentioning epithelial cells (the cells dr. Xu achieved to create from iPSC cells). if i read that correctly, their cluster of DP cells alone injected under the skin created new follicles.

what i don't understand is where did they get the human embryonic stem cells from?

so in the end i have to ask: what stops us (or other researchers) to replicate their method and make some human trials in japan? see what happens when these cells are injected under human skin. to me it seems that this is the cure already. of course, questions like hair diameter, direction etc. have to be seen. also i don't care about efficacy. anyway the study already showed more than 100 new formed hairs with the hESC-DP cells so the efficacy with these cells is quite good.

so what are the next steps? what other roadblocks can come into the way?

Human embryonic stem cell culturing is legal in most of the US, but it is controlled.

They use embryos left over from IVF procedures. I would think these guys got them that way.

It's a good paper anyway. There are now several methods being tried to bypass the problem of loss of induction with culturing, and it's highly likely IMO that at least one of them will work.

Standard 10+ years before it leads to a realistic treatment though, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post
    Human embryonic stem cell culturing is legal in most of the US, but it is controlled.
    Difficult to put into words how frustrating it is, in any situation, that religion steps in and retards the process of science and technology.

Looking forward to reading the article, which I am guilty of not doing before writing a comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    Difficult to put into words how frustrating it is, in any situation, that religion steps in and retards the process of science and technology.

Looking forward to reading the article, which I am guilty of not doing before writing a comment.
    Well it's not purely religious reasons - it's also medical ethics. They are using human embryos for these stem cells so the religious reasons have been largely overcome. But the industry is still heavily controlled for ethical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Article has 15 mentions of the word 'mice'.

Don't expect any of the following people to move it to humans: Ksenia Gnedeva, Ekaterina Vorotelyak, Flavio Cimadamore, Giulio Cattarossi, Elena Giusto, Vasiliy V. Terskikh & Alexey V. Terskikh.

Just a healthy dose of reality!

Please take a seat and read up on why they test things on mice. Thanks