Colorado Surgical Center & Hair Institute-Need Real Patient Experiences? - BaldTruthTalk.com
Closed Thread

Exclamation Colorado Surgical Center & Hair Institute-Need Real Patient Experiences?

Hello,

I need some help. I live in Colorado so figured I would check out HT places local then move out from here if I can't find what I need. I am 24, hairline started moving at 19 so I decided to just shave my head completely when I was 21 and I am loving the look. I do wish to have hair so I am considering a HT but just a little worried with some of the horror stories and scarring issues. I realize either way I will not be able to wear my hair extremely short but would like the surgery that allows the shortest possible hair.

I went to Colorado Surgical Center & Hair Institute and spoke with Chris McTyre (Director) a while back. He recommended an FUT because I have a lot of hair on the back of the head and enough skin to use for the donor and he said they use a Trichophytic closure which would allow me to have my hair as short as a #1 clip guard in the back and the scar would not be visible. From what I am seeing on the forums, a 1 on the back will definitely show the scar no matter which type of surgery I choose but he assured me that it would definitely not be visible. From everything I have seen I guessed that I would need anywhere from 2000-2500 grafts and he stated that I would only need 2000, I asked if I could get more to make it more dense he said 2000 would be plenty. They do only charge $2 per graft which is great, yes I have heard the saying about getting what you pay for. I have found only 2 patients that are satisfied with results on the forums, but can't find anything else out about them. I would assume there would be tons of complaints if they were butchering their jobs but I would really like to speak with actual patients and see their results. If someone could please comment on here, or PM me and tell me what you think about this place. I asked who the doctor to perform the procedure would be and he said it will be Dr. James Boland but I can not find much information on him other than he was POSSIBLY previously involved in the MMJ industry, as well as Dr. Searle (who may no longer be here, I did see he was POSSIBLY convicted of some charges also in the MMJ industry).

Please understand I am not taking them being involved in MMJ as a deciding factor of where to go, I could care less about this. I do care about their quality of work, and would like to find out some more about them. I haven't found one complaint, but also can only find two actual experiences who were with Dr Searle who would not be performing my procedure. They said they can get me in early July but I would like to do all my research first. Any help would be appreciated.

He also said that I only need the front of my hairline done, and the rest of it will come back or be okay with Fin.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d108/ZSTiForums/photo_zpse0f09eaa.jpg[/URL]

[IMG][/IMG]

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZSTi View Post
    Hello,

I need some help. I live in Colorado so figured I would check out HT places local then move out from here if I can't find what I need. I am 24, hairline started moving at 19 so I decided to just shave my head completely when I was 21 and I am loving the look. I do wish to have hair so I am considering a HT but just a little worried with some of the horror stories and scarring issues. I realize either way I will not be able to wear my hair extremely short but would like the surgery that allows the shortest possible hair.

I went to Colorado Surgical Center & Hair Institute and spoke with Chris McTyre (Director) a while back. He recommended an FUT because I have a lot of hair on the back of the head and enough skin to use for the donor and he said they use a Trichophytic closure which would allow me to have my hair as short as a #1 clip guard in the back and the scar would not be visible. From what I am seeing on the forums, a 1 on the back will definitely show the scar no matter which type of surgery I choose but he assured me that it would definitely not be visible. From everything I have seen I guessed that I would need anywhere from 2000-2500 grafts and he stated that I would only need 2000, I asked if I could get more to make it more dense he said 2000 would be plenty. They do only charge $2 per graft which is great, yes I have heard the saying about getting what you pay for. I have found only 2 patients that are satisfied with results on the forums, but can't find anything else out about them. I would assume there would be tons of complaints if they were butchering their jobs but I would really like to speak with actual patients and see their results. If someone could please comment on here, or PM me and tell me what you think about this place. I asked who the doctor to perform the procedure would be and he said it will be Dr. James Boland but I can not find much information on him other than he was POSSIBLY previously involved in the MMJ industry, as well as Dr. Searle (who may no longer be here, I did see he was POSSIBLY convicted of some charges also in the MMJ industry).

Please understand I am not taking them being involved in MMJ as a deciding factor of where to go, I could care less about this. I do care about their quality of work, and would like to find out some more about them. I haven't found one complaint, but also can only find two actual experiences who were with Dr Searle who would not be performing my procedure. They said they can get me in early July but I would like to do all my research first. Any help would be appreciated.
    At your age, I would not recommend FUT (Strip) or FUE. IMO, you should try Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine. Evaluate their effectiveness when you are around 29. We had a patient in about a month ago whose hair improved dramatically after 3 years on Propecia.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

ZSTi,

Usually when one notices significant hair loss in their teens, it's an indication that they are headed for the advanced classes of hair loss such as Norwood class 7. After seeing your pics, my premonition is that you have Norwood class 7s on either side of your family history such as father, grandfather, uncles, brothers, cousins, etc.

I also agree that considering low dose finasteride would be critical for you to stabilize the loss in your crown which still appears in good shape. There are signs of diffusion there so IMHO, the quicker you can get a docot's guidance and prescription for it, the better chances you will have to preserve that area of your scalp. There are clinical trials to support that low dose finasteride works the most efficiently in the crown and mid-scalp.

Any of us that lose in the frontal zone and at a young age can feel the way that you do. We all want our hairline back. But I also caution you to approach this conservatively once you know how you respond to finasteride and even minoxidil foam. If you respond favorably, then restoring your hairline is very possible.

The minoxidil can potentially improve your hair shaft diameter in your crown and will make it look stronger and thicker but only the use of finasteride will inhibit the DHT that is the source of losing hair to MPB.

IMHO, any individual that has the genetic disposition to end up in the advanced classes of hair loss, meaning Norwood class 6 & 7, FUE is the way to go. Why? Because if you decide in the future to wear your hair buzzed liked it is now, you don't want a strip scar to contend with.

There are other skilled surgeons in your area in Denver who do FUE. Just look at the recommended surgeons within this community directory and you will find them. But make sure that they prove their work to you with real patients and real examples. Anyone can make promises but fewer have the proof.

IMHO you owe it to yourself to first get stabilized with low dose finasteride and possibly minoxidil. But it should only be done under a reputable doctor's guidance and supervision. In other words, don't just jump online and purchase it without consulting a doctor.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Pleas check my new post. I had a miserable Experience and terrible results at CSCHI.

I wonder if this guys decided to go to CSCHI to get his work done.

I'm very sorry to hear about your bad experience there, and thanks for posting in my thread regarding this. Good luck on everything!

No I did not end up getting a hair transplant at all. I couldn't find out much information on this clinic and pretty much ruled out a HT all together. I've decided to try out Rogaine and Fin for a few years, if I don't see the results I want I will probably end up getting all of the rest of the hair laser removed (I love my bald head, just tired of shaving every other day).

Also, thank you to everyone who responded here. There was a lot of great information for me.

ZSTi,

Awesome news that you decided to not move forward and instead are waiting to see how you respond to the hair loss meds. You just never know until you try them.

BTW, there is an established HT clinic in my area (greater Wash DC) and they also only charge $2.00 - $3.00 per graft, but they do horrific work..

I am always suspect of any clinic who aggressively gets their patients with low teaser graft prices.

And if you like the shaved look, then save your hard earned money and wear the look...some guys look very good with a completely shaved head and if you are one of them, more power to you!

Best wishes to you in your journey...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin