+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caffeinated Drinks and Hair Loss(Coffee,Green Tea,Soda)

So a little background...

For the last year I've been noticing a strong itch within several minutes of having Coffee, Green Tea, or any Caffeinated Soda.
    When I rub or scratch the itch, hairs fall out in that region.
    The same beverages also put me on edge to a degree. Why would it causes the itch/hairloss?

When I cut out soda/caffienated beverages, the itch is gone/I shed less.

Does this indicate anything? Has anyone else had the same experience?

Here's a quote from wikipedia's management of hair loss page, "Caffeine stimulates human hair growth in vitro, and reduced testosterone-induced follicle growth suppression. It has been demonstrated that the addition of caffeine to a shampoo-formulation is effective in administering caffeine to the hair follicles in the scalp. Further research must be done to evaluate the efficacy and adequate dosage of caffeine in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia."

In other words, it seems like caffeine would be beneficial, not harmful, to treatment of male pattern baldness. I drink tons of energy drinks and coffee and my hair looks much better than it did almost 2 years ago when I started finasteride. If you have male pattern baldness you really can't blame this on anything other genetics and hormones. Many shampoos such as Alpecin have caffeine added to fight hairloss, but really you gotta fix your hormones or its a losing battle.

There should be a distinction between ingestion and a topical solution.

It's possible that it just increases my cortisol levels, but from what I understand stress induced hairloss is delayed. Where as, my scalp starts tingling/burning within minutes.

When I dont drink caffeine, my scalp is relatively calm and I do shed less. Perhaps it aggravates a skin condition or something?

Green tea raises dht by something like 200%. I started drinking green tea a few years ago and I shed like a madman for about four months. I never really ever worried about hair loss back then, so when I started shedding THAT MANY hairs all of a sudden, I started googling around. I found a post on another forum that informed me of that little factoid. When I discontinued green tea, my shedding took a nosedive virtually over night.

I STRONGLY advise against drinking green tea.

As for coffee or soda, I have no clue. I've been drinking coffee for a long time and I've never noticed an increase of shedding from it. I really only itch when I'm thinking of my hair loss or on these forums, so I'm not the best candidate to bring up the timing of itching.

According to my own reading, coffee actually lowers testosterone by something like 20%. But I invite you to do your own reading.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoInchCircle View Post
    Green tea raises dht by something like 200%. I started drinking green tea a few years ago and I shed like a madman for about four months. I never really ever worried about hair loss back then, so when I started shedding THAT MANY hairs all of a sudden, I started googling around. I found a post on another forum that informed me of that little factoid. When I discontinued green tea, my shedding took a nosedive virtually over night.

I STRONGLY advise against drinking green tea.

As for coffee or soda, I have no clue. I've been drinking coffee for a long time and I've never noticed an increase of shedding from it. I really only itch when I'm thinking of my hair loss or on these forums, so I'm not the best candidate to bring up the timing of itching.

According to my own reading, coffee actually lowers testosterone by something like 20%. But I invite you to do your own reading.
    I can corroborate this. I didnt notice my hair loss until I started drinking green tea. I was shedding like a mofo. My desk at work at the end of the week was covered with hair....
    So I stopped green tea/coffee mostly... But every now and then I indulge.
    Im just wondering if its indicative of an underlying issue.

For me though.. Im noticing a Pepsi has a similar affect, but to a lesser degree. My scalp itches pretty badly for probably about 12+ hours.

Maybe Im pre-diabetes or something...

Anecdotal, but check out this article.

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/caff...op-20-symptoms
    Most Common Allergic Reactions to Caffeine
    1.Skin problems such as hives, eczema, rashes, acne, severe itching.
    2.Headaches/ migraines.
    3.Anxiety and panic attacks.
    Number 1 its itching...perhaps its related... I'll look for my articles on the topic.

I highly doubt green tea is causing hair loss...

If anything, it should help / do nothing.

Actually, I swear that since I've started drinking tea in the last few months my shedding has decreased. As I have been shedding massively the entirety of 2014 so far.

What a load of Crap!! Green tea does not increase your DHT by 200%, show me a backed scientific article on that. It's actually really beneficial for your health to drink it and can even help with reducing your fat. It's a natural antioxidant and contains caffeine how can that increase your DHT? FEAR MONGERINGG RAAHH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroes View Post
    What a load of Crap!! Green tea does not increase your DHT by 200%, show me a backed scientific article on that. It's actually really beneficial for your health to drink it and can even help with reducing your fat. It's a natural antioxidant and contains caffeine how can that increase your DHT? FEAR MONGERINGG RAAHH!!!
    Step back for a second.

I do not know how or why this happens, so Im not going to point to DHT. I do know that my scalp starts to tingle/itch whenever I have caffeine. I had gone 2 months without caffeine(believe it or not...I have some resolve) because I had noticed this being the case. Today I felt I needed a pick me up...and boy did things get itchy.

It doesnt necessarily have to relate to MPB directly. It could be caffeine and some unknown factor causing this. For me though, green tea and coffee exacerbates my hairloss/makes my scalp uncomfortable, which is why i choose to abstain as much as possible

I'd like to mention that when my hairloss started I was under intense stress, took sleeping pills/drank a lot.....and dosed on caffeine. (GF Cheated on me, New job stress, crushing student loan debt....)

Since starting propecia the itch is mainly gone and the hairloss has slowed....possibly due to propecia. However, whenever I have caffeine im back to square one with oily hair and an itchy shedding scalp.