+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

film Video Presentation of PRP Injection Procedure for Hair Loss

The patient shown participated in the original PRP/hair loss study. This video depicts his second procedure at 11 months.

New to all this but keen to expand my knowledge, I noticed that Dr Greco was using a '1mm microneedle' in this proceedure, do you think something like the Nanogen Scalproller, which I think is 0.5mm, would have an effect in prp?

I can kind of understand the benefit of using a microneedle in a clinic but is there any real benefit for home use?

Many thanks

Andy

Default Hi...PRP

This procedure is good, though properly it will not bring back hair once the follicure is dead, but it may help heal the daying once. QUESTION: HOW MUCH DOES THE PROCEDURE COST?? DOES ANY ONE KNOWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman79 View Post
    New to all this but keen to expand my knowledge, I noticed that Dr Greco was using a '1mm microneedle' in this proceedure, do you think something like the Nanogen Scalproller, which I think is 0.5mm, would have an effect in prp?

I can kind of understand the benefit of using a microneedle in a clinic but is there any real benefit for home use?

Many thanks

Andy
    Good question Andy. I look at the micro needling as both a stimulation devise and a delivery devise. It will initiate the Stat 3 and if patients are using a topical I think delivers the product into the scalp better. JG

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Joseph F. Greco View Post
    Good question Andy. I look at the micro needling as both a stimulation devise and a delivery devise. It will initiate the Stat 3 and if patients are using a topical I think delivers the product into the scalp better. JG
    Many thanks for your reply Dr Greco,

So, in principal, the potential additional benefits of using a scalproller may make it worth thinking about for use with topical solutoins at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman79 View Post
    Many thanks for your reply Dr Greco,

So, in principal, the potential additional benefits of using a scalproller may make it worth thinking about for use with topical solutoins at home?
    I think so Andy I have recommending this to my patients for quite some time. JG

Quote Originally Posted by pdouble View Post
    This procedure is good, though properly it will not bring back hair once the follicure is dead, but it may help heal the daying once. QUESTION: HOW MUCH DOES THE PROCEDURE COST?? DOES ANY ONE KNOWS.
    That is correct it will only work on hair that is there. However, in Alopecia Areata, where the stem cells are dormant and hairs are not seen, 70% of the patients in our study it did grow hair back in the PRP treated group. The procedure cost $800 to $1K. in my clinic. Thank you. JG

Default prp

That is correct it will only work on hair that is there. However, in Alopecia Areata, where the stem cells are dormant and hairs are not seen, 70% of the patients in our study it did grow hair back in the PRP treated group. The procedure cost $800 to $1K. in my clinic. Thank you. JG

Dr. greco, what would you say your success rate would be with androgenic alopecia? Also Id like to know your reasoning as to why prp would not work on someone who has just started in the thinning stages?... Ive seen people say they have had no success with it and had mostly a decent head of hair..

Quote Originally Posted by brentipold View Post
    Dr. greco, what would you say your success rate would be with androgenic alopecia? Also Id like to know your reasoning as to why prp would not work on someone who has just started in the thinning stages?... Ive seen people say they have had no success with it and had mostly a decent head of hair..
    Thank you for your questions. First, what are we defining as success and what realistic expectations should patients have? A successful treatment would be some or all of the following: (1) “maintaining” existing non transplanted hair (2) noticing or having others notice an improved condition of your scalp and hair (3) a decrease in shedding of hair (4) an increase in the aesthetic density of your hair.

That being said, most patients we have treated noticed some of these. Does this work in all of patients and is everyone pleased, absolutely not, just as is the case with other therapy including hair transplant surgery. What is most important, no patients, have reported side effects or shedding post treatment with PRP we treated the past two years..

Promised or perceived unrealistic expectations would be: (1) to expect a full thick head of hair (2) to expect to grow hair in an area that experienced miniaturization for years or a bald area (3) to expect hair to look thicker if hair is cut short.

I don’t understand your question, “Id like to know your reasoning as to why prp would not work on someone who has just started in the thinning stages”? A young patient just beginning to thin is a good patient for this.

Bottom line is that physicians must explain and patients must realize this is an experimental therapy, but safe, therapy that we are beginning to understand.Thanks for your questions, JG

Thank you for your questions. First, what are we defining as success and what realistic expectations should patients have? A successful treatment would be some or all of the following: (1) “maintaining” existing non transplanted hair (2) noticing or having others notice an improved condition of your scalp and hair (3) a decrease in shedding of hair (4) an increase in the aesthetic density of your hair.

That being said, most patients we have treated noticed some of these. Does this work in all of patients and is everyone pleased, absolutely not, just as is the case with other therapy including hair transplant surgery. What is most important, no patients, have reported side effects or shedding post treatment with PRP we treated the past two years..

Promised or perceived unrealistic expectations would be: (1) to expect a full thick head of hair (2) to expect to grow hair in an area that experienced miniaturization for years or a bald area (3) to expect hair to look thicker if hair is cut short.

I don’t understand your question, “Id like to know your reasoning as to why prp would not work on someone who has just started in the thinning stages”? A young patient just beginning to thin is a good patient for this.

Bottom line is that physicians must explain and patients must realize this is an experimental therapy, but safe, therapy that we are beginning to understand.Thanks for your questions, JG

I apologize for the bad wording. I guess what im trying to ask is, What is your theory on why is it not as effect as it is in some people, and very effective on others.?