+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Lightbulb

I'm trying to think through how this treatment would work in practice if it becomes a reality. Presumably you'd have to visit a clinic with the special Follica machine, make an appointment, shave yourself bald, have your head wounded by the machine and have the specially formulated topical treatment applied, however many times that wounding + topical solution combo was required to get results.

You're getting ahead of yourself.

Who cares what mechanism it's administered, so long as it works.

I know seriously. It's hard to stay off the forum but I am going to try to be here less often as at this point I don't see how there can be any additional exciting news in the near future. The only things we may hear are

1) a press release from Histogen before the end of the year regarding their new partnership and the beginning of phase 2B (because I don't understand why it would take them longer than that to find a partner like Replicel did and move on)

2) Maybe, something from Aderans. Although I'm inclined to think there is something not working with their technology, if we have learned something this past week is not to write off any companies as the two companies everyone had given up on just came out with great news. Plus, they did indeed just finish their last phase 2 test, so I would imagine if there is anything to say it will be said before the end of the year.

Besides that, we know Replicel is going to do their thing for a while (they might let us know when they officially begin phase 2B but for now it's pretty much sure it's going to be before the end of the year) and I doubt we'll hear more from Follica as they have shown to be very secretive.

I guess we may expect something from Allergan for its higher dosed version of Bimatoprost, but these other drugs are less important in the battle IMO.

I just don't understand why everyone is so frustrated, I mean very little news comes out of the Edinburgh congress and everyone is excited to read threads from Nigam who, with all due respect, can't even dream of having some of the credibility Follica has.

Now all the sudden within 7 days we get Histogen adding 48 week data, Replicel financing and phase 2B trial, and Follica growth factor news. And how would someone expect this news to be taken by the forum? Given the way they greeted Nigam I was inclined to think people would start shaving heads and saying "**** it the cure has been found already". And instead no everyone's here so depressed and calling Histogen a failure based on someone claiming it is toxic based on some deduction they made reading the same data that had been published before and was accessible to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    Just when Histogen seems to have let us down this pops up.

Is it a case of "Hope springs eternal" or “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of man”
    Nice post, I'm inclined to agree now more than ever before.

Has anyone read the description for the FGF9 research chemical?:

FGF-9
    FGF-9 is an autocrine and paracrine prostatic growth factor expressed by prostatic stromal cells. FGF-9 induces osteoblast proliferation and new bone formation in a bone organ assay. FGF-9 is produced by many prostate cancer cells and contributes to prostate cancer-induced new bone formation and may participate in the osteoblastic progression of prostate cancer in bone. It is also a an autocrine and/or paracrine neurotrophic factor that promotes the survival of motoneurons and upregulates choline acetyl-transferase activity.FGF-9 enhances survival of AChE-positive neurons, increases their mean soma size. It also up- regulates their choline acetyltransferase activity as potently as NGF and the effect is greater than that elicited by bFGF, CNTF, or GDNF. FGF-9 acts as a survival factor for neurons but does not promote neurite outgrowth. FGF-9 has been shown to mediate its effects by binding to FGF receptors. It efficiently activates the FGFR2c splice form of FGFR2 and the FGFR3b and FGFR3c splice isoforms of FGFR3.

http://www.reprokine.com/Human%20Fib...ant%20_id=3422
    Lol, Yeah... I think ill wait for their trial results.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Has anyone read the description for the FGF9 research chemical?:

FGF-9
    FGF-9 is an autocrine and paracrine prostatic growth factor expressed by prostatic stromal cells. FGF-9 induces osteoblast proliferation and new bone formation in a bone organ assay. FGF-9 is produced by many prostate cancer cells and contributes to prostate cancer-induced new bone formation and may participate in the osteoblastic progression of prostate cancer in bone. It is also a an autocrine and/or paracrine neurotrophic factor that promotes the survival of motoneurons and upregulates choline acetyl-transferase activity.FGF-9 enhances survival of AChE-positive neurons, increases their mean soma size. It also up- regulates their choline acetyltransferase activity as potently as NGF and the effect is greater than that elicited by bFGF, CNTF, or GDNF. FGF-9 acts as a survival factor for neurons but does not promote neurite outgrowth. FGF-9 has been shown to mediate its effects by binding to FGF receptors. It efficiently activates the FGFR2c splice form of FGFR2 and the FGFR3b and FGFR3c splice isoforms of FGFR3.
    Lol, Yeah... I think ill wait for their trial results.
    Now we know it, this is how we will get ... horny.

I think some of you are jumping the gun here.

If new follicles are created, they will most likely form in the same way that their neighbouring follicles were formed, which leaves them just as vulnerable to all the same hair loss problems.

We don't need more follicles, we need to get existing follicles working for good.

Quote Originally Posted by imom View Post

If new follicles are created, they will most likely form in the same way that their neighbouring follicles were formed, which leaves them just as vulnerable to all the same hair loss problems.

We don't need more follicles, we need to get existing follicles working for good.
    In 2011, Follica released research that showed the bald scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia retains hair follicle stem cells but lacks CD200-rich and CD34-positive hair follicle progenitor cells. Due to this problem, the hair follicles are producing microscopic hairs beneath the surface of the skin, their research therefore is aimed at bringing to the market a solution that will enable said stem cells/hair follicles to 'reactive' by producing the necessary CD-200 and CD34-positive hair follicle progenitor cells.

By researching the cascade of events that takes place during the wound healing process, they may have just done so.

I think it will have to be a case of mild to medium scalp pertubation and timing an injection of FGF9 appropriately to nudge the immune response into the creation of a new hair follicle, this is true regenerative medicine here, instead of the body going down the route of creating a scar, we're finding the key compounds from nature to induce regeneration of organs (hair follicles).

It's exciting yes, and we have to all understand something, that if researchers can't figure out ways to regenerate hair follicles, then they're going to have an equal amount of difficulty in regenerating larger more complex organs. Do you believe that will happen? I dont, especially when I look at the work coming out of Wake Forest (WFIRM); It's more a question of time now.

Quote Originally Posted by imom View Post

Another genius schooling UCSF and the UPenn med schools.

Thank you now they will realize they are all idiots!

Guys,

If you read the threads from 2007-2010 regarding Follica, you see a lot of talking about being cured by 2010-2012! Dr. Cotsarelis himself was found quoting that "IF everything pans out...we will have this available by 2010!" Back in 2007 though, all they had were mice data.

The problem is Proof of Concept studies start off with mouse and then move onto Human tissue...

So far, all of these recent breakthroughs have been in rats and such theories have not been tested on actual human grafts!

So, we shouldn't jump the gun and start yelling out "cure", when Dr Cotsarelis has NOT shown any increase in number of hair follicles on a HUMAN skin graft! For some evolutionary reasons, mice are meant to be incredibly hairy and triggering hair growth in them is far easier than humans!

Let's keep a watchful eye on Follica...as they may be onto something! But until we have HUMAN data be critical to all media releases.