• 08-03-2017 05:00 AM
    Dr. Lindsey
    Another young hair patient by Dr. Lindsey
    So I recognize that young guy hair transplants is controversial. Here's another one and in this short video I reiterate what I have said in all the other young guy videos...



    1. Plan for the future...get a mature hairline...not a 23 year old hairline

    2. Bring your parents to the consultation

    3. Plan on future surgery being needed.

    4. There is no rush....take your time and make the best decision for you (at any age...but particularly younger guys...as once you start down this road you can't back up).



    The video is: http://vimeo.com/user60880081



    Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
  • 08-03-2017 05:01 AM
    Dr. Lindsey
    Oops. I think the link went to the main vimeo page. This should work better.

    https://vimeo.com/228107756
    https://vimeo.com/228107756
  • 08-03-2017 08:25 AM
    partyboy123
    Hey Dr. Lindsey, I'm a young guy (20) and last Monday I went in for a consultation.

    My hair loss is similar to your young guy's 11 month post-op, I've got a good norwood 1-2 going on, hair loss and miniaturization on the temples, but I sport a longer hair style so even if I pulled up my hair line, if I didn't have miniaturization you wouldn't notice all that much.

    My question and my frustration is, why no 18 year old hairlines? The answer I got when I talked about my goals was "We don't do that here". It's a ****ing cosmetic surgery, I'm aware of the costs and the maintenance required, I would be okay with a 30-40k lifetime total, IF I GOT MY 18 YEAR OLD HAIRLINE BACK. If my goal is to be look young healthy and beautiful forever then why would I pay for a half complete job. The "Oh he's balding but not that much" look isn't what I'm after. I'm not here because my hairlines causing crippling insecurities(atleast not yet), I'm here because I'm interested in maximizing my looks and aesthetic qualities, which in a COSMETIC procedure seems to be an absolutely alien concept.

    I'm completely not following the reasons why transplants won't treat past a norwood two, some doctors say that the donor hair is too finite, some don't..

    Basically, the accepted arguement against it is and the overall notion I get is - You're too young to know what you want and when you get older you will regret it.

    Yeah, maybe for some, but I'm not one of those people, so let us not dick around.

    He mentioned "some doctors do it", Do you know any doctor who would restore my hairline back to 18? Sorry to come off a bit ranty and emotional, your input would be highly appreciated. I knew this post would be obnoxious, that's why the funny name aswell.. Overall I'm serious, if you could put me in touch with a doctor who when I go in for a transplant in 2-4 years when it's necessary, or if you could do that procedure yourself I would be an extremely happy patient.
  • 08-03-2017 08:46 AM
    Dr. Lindsey
    Hey partyboy 123. Be careful what you wish for. There are 2 doctors near me who have numerous patients who have shown up at my office regretting that low young hairline. In fact, JUST YESTERDAY..a 41 year old told me that one of those doctors said he'd "give him his hairline from when he was 18" and he "could just comb it back and look awesome".

    So they are out there. And I'm sure there are happy recipients of that work. I just don't see them. I see the ones who have regretted it.

    Dr. L
  • 08-03-2017 09:16 AM
    partyboy123
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dr. Lindsey View Post
    Hey partyboy 123. Be careful what you wish for. There are 2 doctors near me who have numerous patients who have shown up at my office regretting that low young hairline. In fact, JUST YESTERDAY..a 41 year old told me that one of those doctors said he'd "give him his hairline from when he was 18" and he "could just comb it back and look awesome".

    So they are out there. And I'm sure there are happy recipients of that work. I just don't see them. I see the ones who have regretted it.

    Dr. L

    Hey Dr. L, thanks for the speedy reply and I appreciate your input.

    I guess if I were to use your awesome knowledge and experience as a Hair Transplant Surgeon more constructively in my case the question I'm needing to know before going further with an 18 year old hairline is -

    What are the constraints of the donor area? Is there a point in family balding history where you could easily foresight that an 18 year old hairline wouldn't do, because the loss will be such that donor hair won't be able to cover the back of the head? If you could try to maybe give metrics to the capacities of the donor area.. Without accounting for the costs of the surgeries, as if money weren't the issue, only the finite number of donor hair available, where would you say that the hair loss is too much to consider reconstructing the 18 year old hairline? Is it a norwood 4, a norwood 5? How many grafts are available to be transplanted, can this be extended based on the thickness and strength of the donor hair?

    Maybe if I had the answer to those I could begin to maybe calculate if I will have to worry about the common regrets of your patients who recieved an 18 year old hairline.

    I understand that my hair might receed so much that the 18 year old hairline will become isolated, I understand how I could end up regretting it. I understand that to have this surgery would mean a lifetime commitment, every 5 years another 10k to cover the hair behind. But if we could introduce calculation and precision into the constraints and really zone in on if I'm a candidate who could construct that 18 year old hairline, that would be what I'm after Dr. Lindsey.

    Thanks again for your time Dr. L
  • 08-03-2017 09:22 AM
    Dr. Lindsey
    Well..if you have good genes and good donor hair...maybe there are no constraints. Can't tell without seeing you and knowing about your family and even then its a guess. The big issue is that I think guys over 30 with a low straight hairline look abnormal. As I state in many videos...I give guys something similar to my hairline. It will look unremarkable at age 30, 40, 50, and 60.

    Watch this one and its associated video of the surgery that is listed in the summary section below the video.

    Dr. L


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfdKu-I2rwk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfdKu-I2rwk


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BvbPXz2TdE&t=1s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BvbPXz2TdE&t=1s
  • 08-03-2017 11:49 AM
    Jackito
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by partyboy123 View Post
    Hey Dr. Lindsey, I'm a young guy (20) and last Monday I went in for a consultation.

    My hair loss is similar to your young guy's 11 month post-op, I've got a good norwood 1-2 going on, hair loss and miniaturization on the temples, but I sport a longer hair style so even if I pulled up my hair line, if I didn't have miniaturization you wouldn't notice all that much.

    My question and my frustration is, why no 18 year old hairlines? The answer I got when I talked about my goals was "We don't do that here". It's a ****ing cosmetic surgery, I'm aware of the costs and the maintenance required, I would be okay with a 30-40k lifetime total, IF I GOT MY 18 YEAR OLD HAIRLINE BACK. If my goal is to be look young healthy and beautiful forever then why would I pay for a half complete job. The "Oh he's balding but not that much" look isn't what I'm after. I'm not here because my hairlines causing crippling insecurities(atleast not yet), I'm here because I'm interested in maximizing my looks and aesthetic qualities, which in a COSMETIC procedure seems to be an absolutely alien concept.

    I'm completely not following the reasons why transplants won't treat past a norwood two, some doctors say that the donor hair is too finite, some don't..

    Basically, the accepted arguement against it is and the overall notion I get is - You're too young to know what you want and when you get older you will regret it.

    Yeah, maybe for some, but I'm not one of those people, so let us not dick around.

    He mentioned "some doctors do it", Do you know any doctor who would restore my hairline back to 18? Sorry to come off a bit ranty and emotional, your input would be highly appreciated. I knew this post would be obnoxious, that's why the funny name aswell.. Overall I'm serious, if you could put me in touch with a doctor who when I go in for a transplant in 2-4 years when it's necessary, or if you could do that procedure yourself I would be an extremely happy patient.

    You need to do your research and fast because a Norwood 2 is not balding. Look around you! No adult male has a Norwood 1. It's a mature hairline which almost every male transitions to during their 20's. Right now you're being too optimistic and greedy wanting a young youthful hairline and you will regret it if you continue to follow this path. you need to get over the fact that with the current treatments available in today's society.. Norwood 1 isn't an option. You're young and experiencing hair loss, no one knows how far your loss is going to progress.. only time and genetics can tell this so wanting a Norwood 1 is going to ruin your appearance in the future and your precious donor hair that is going to be needed elsewhere on your head.
  • 08-11-2017 12:02 PM
    pajason
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jackito View Post
    You need to do your research and fast because a Norwood 2 is not balding. Look around you! No adult male has a Norwood 1. It's a mature hairline which almost every male transitions to during their 20's. Right now you're being too optimistic and greedy wanting a young youthful hairline and you will regret it if you continue to follow this path. you need to get over the fact that with the current treatments available in today's society.. Norwood 1 isn't an option. You're young and experiencing hair loss, no one knows how far your loss is going to progress.. only time and genetics can tell this so wanting a Norwood 1 is going to ruin your appearance in the future and your precious donor hair that is going to be needed elsewhere on your head.

    Correct you don't know if your going to be a Norwood 4, where a 18 year old hairline might be possible, or a Norwood 6 where it's highly likely that no matter your budget you won't have enough donor. You will look like a freak because you will be really thin with a abnormally low hairline. Get on propecia and see where you are in a few years. Having had several hair transplants at a young age I can tell you as you get older you won't likely feel the way you do now. I really wish I wouldn't have done anything. Dr Lindsey is giving you honest advice.
  • 08-15-2017 12:00 PM
    JustShaveIt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dr. Lindsey View Post
    2. Bring your parents to the consultation

    I brought my mom to mine. Worst thing I've ever done in my life. Instead of being supportive and giving me emotional and metal support, I got a HT at 25 years old instead. 13 years later I'm ****ed psychologically and have situational depression.
  • 08-16-2017 06:44 AM
    Dr. Lindsey
    Sorry to hear that Just shave it. MAYBE you should not have proceeded. Part of my blunt demeanor is a no bullxxxx discussion on the easiest option...and the free one...is to do nothing at all.

    Dr. Lindsey

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Dermarolling Community Trial
07-23-2013 11:08 PM
Last Post By Reed
Yesterday 11:17 PM
Genuine thoughts on hairline? 23 years old
09-20-2018 04:22 PM
by Diego11
Last Post By mrclean
Yesterday 08:33 PM
THe Bald Truth LIVE NOW!
Yesterday 02:48 PM
Last Post By JoeTillman
Yesterday 02:48 PM
cant go to college bcoz of norwood 2
01-03-2016 04:11 AM
Last Post By robincurtz
Yesterday 01:46 PM
The Growing Dangers Of The Hair Transplant Industry!
09-18-2018 04:46 AM
by Spex
Last Post By Spex
Yesterday 04:20 AM