• 03-09-2013 08:41 AM
    baldozer
    Beard + Scalp Hair for transplantation
    I assume that a NW7 must still have at least 15000 follicular units, from which 6000 could be extracted for transplantation. A NW2 has around 40,000 follicular units overall, or around 80,000 hair. So a NW7 needs 25,000 FUs to become a NW2. However, it is well known that even 50% of density is enough to give an illusion of a full head of hair. Therefore, I think 13000 FUs would be enough, and if you don't bother about the crown, then even 10,000 would be quite good.

    So I think a NW7 can be restored to a NW2 by the combination of scalp and beard hair, let us say 6000 scalp and 4000 beard hair. The surgeon could place more beard hair in areas where hair quality doesn't matter that much, like corners of the head and temporal peaks, and the area on top which is farther from the hairline.

    What do you think. Is such kind of a procedure viable?
  • 03-09-2013 10:15 AM
    mpb47
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    I assume that a NW7 must still have at least 15000 follicular units, from which 6000 could be extracted for transplantation. A NW2 has around 40,000 follicular units overall, or around 80,000 hair. So a NW7 needs 25,000 FUs to become a NW2. However, it is well known that even 50% of density is enough to give an illusion of a full head of hair. Therefore, I think 13000 FUs would be enough, and if you don't bother about the crown, then even 10,000 would be quite good.

    So I think a NW7 can be restored to a NW2 by the combination of scalp and beard hair, let us say 6000 scalp and 4000 beard hair. The surgeon could place more beard hair in areas where hair quality doesn't matter that much, like corners of the head and temporal peaks, and the area on top which is farther from the hairline.

    What do you think. Is such kind of a procedure viable?

    I think you are right and that you would need to hide the beard hair as i had a 3 month beard once. Besides making me look like a neanderthal/terrorist , i noticed that beard hair is totally different than scalp hair. 1) at 3 months it was plenty long enough to comb it yet even doing so it would try to curl up or at least be wavey and my scalp hair is straight. 2) Texture- beard hair is much thicker/courser than scalp hair. This might be a good thing for density but if you could see it, it might be noticeable contrast. 3) Color- don't understand this one, but even the color was off. Scalp hair is brown, but beard had red tint to it.

    If a dr could work around this, then it could work as you would get a lot of thick hair in return. Plus not having to shave would be a nice bonus.
  • 03-09-2013 10:24 AM
    baldozer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    I think you are right and that you would need to hide the beard hair as i had a 3 month beard once. Besides making me look like a neanderthal/terrorist , i noticed that beard hair is totally different than scalp hair. 1) at 3 months it was plenty long enough to comb it yet even doing so it would try to curl up or at least be wavey and my scalp hair is straight. 2) Texture- beard hair is much thicker/courser than scalp hair. This might be a good thing for density but if you could see it, it might be noticeable contrast. 3) Color- don't understand this one, but even the color was off. Scalp hair is brown, but beard had red tint to it.

    If a dr could work around this, then it could work as you would get a lot of thick hair in return. Plus not having to shave would be a nice bonus.

    Well both my beard and head hair is black, although they have started graying now, so If I ever have a transplant, I would be deying the hair anyway :)! And like you said beard hair is quite different, that is why it was my idea that only 30 or 40% should come from beard. If you have 70% scalp hair and only 30% beard hair, then I don't think it would be that obvious, plus you could always place most of the beard hair on places which are least visible, like I mentioned before.

    Moreover, I also read a blog from a HT patient who had some beard hair transplanted, that beard hair start to flat out and somewhat resemble the head hair after a year or so.
  • 03-09-2013 02:03 PM
    mpb47
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    Well both my beard and head hair is black, although they have started graying now, so If I ever have a transplant, I would be deying the hair anyway :)! And like you said beard hair is quite different, that is why it was my idea that only 30 or 40% should come from beard. If you have 70% scalp hair and only 30% beard hair, then I don't think it would be that obvious, plus you could always place most of the beard hair on places which are least visible, like I mentioned before.

    Moreover, I also read a blog from a HT patient who had some beard hair transplanted, that beard hair start to flat out and somewhat resemble the head hair after a year or so.

    If it does become straight then it would be very hard to tell the difference.
    Well one difference might be a good thing- I bet it would grow faster than scalp hair. I have never shaved my head so i don't really know how fast it grows, but I do know that by 2-3pm I need to shave again. It's obvious enough that other people can see it. At work one girl kidded me about it saying I am always forgetting to shave.

    Another "good" problem would not to go overboard with it as it would probably look weird to not have any recession at all. If I got my 14 year old hairline back it would be way way lower, straighter than now stand out like a red flag and would make me look very feminine. Guys probably wouldn't notice but I bet some women would think something was wrong or it was fake.
  • 03-10-2013 05:27 PM
    topcat
    Baldozer what you are proposing has been done. Look up SL the rep for BHR. Not sure of his norwood pattern but it is very high. I have seen the work in person in various light and it is the best HT I have ever seen. Completely undetectable at a one guard or so and this is a mixture of beard and scalp hair.

    Somewhere around 8000 fue. I wish I had that kind of beard hair but if you do some amazing work can be done.
  • 03-11-2013 11:46 AM
    drybone
    Didnt someone already say that the reviews are mixed so far? The actual regrowth varies?
  • 03-11-2013 12:23 PM
    aim4hair
    Beard hair won't look natural unless you keep your hair buzzed (as the guy who was mentioned by topcat).
  • 03-11-2013 02:28 PM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aim4hair View Post
    Beard hair won't look natural unless you keep your hair buzzed (as the guy who was mentioned by topcat).

    About a month ago, I took a look at some photos of our patient who has fine, straight blonde hair. He had a decent number of beard hair grafts transplanted to his crown. His beard was gray/blonde as well as coarse with a curl. He looked a lot better in person than he did in the photos. In cases like this in particular, the beard grafts must be blended in over a wide area in order to look natural.

    -35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
  • 03-11-2013 03:31 PM
    baldozer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    About a month ago, I took a look at some photos of our patient who has fine, straight blonde hair. He had a decent number of beard hair grafts transplanted to his crown. His beard was gray/blonde as well as coarse with a curl. He looked a lot better in person than he did in the photos. In cases like this in particular, the beard grafts must be blended in over a wide area in order to look natural.

    -35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office

    Can the transplanted beard hair be dyed with a normal hair dye if its gray?
  • 03-11-2013 07:34 PM
    topcat
    aim4hair I have beard hair on my scalp and I don't buzz my head. It blends in exceptionally well but of course everyone is different. Obviously you would not use it in the hairline but the same could often be said about strip. Taking hairs from the back of the head where there are the thickest in caliber and placing them in the hairline more often than not screams hair transplant and this is what makes fue hands done superior for the most critical area the hairline.

    Bladozer hair is hair. It can by dyed, cut, curled, permed......etc.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Dr Klein promox patients! Read if you need help.
08-21-2014 09:44 AM
by Jazz1
Last Post By shininghead
Today 07:07 PM
All booked in for FUE.
10-07-2018 09:05 AM
by 37L
Last Post By Karlsch
Today 06:29 PM
Do i have MPB ?
Yesterday 10:04 AM
by Markoni
Last Post By olyphant
Today 01:27 PM
RU58841 and washing your hair.
08-10-2018 03:59 PM
Last Post By LimitedHairOnHead
Today 11:12 AM