Alternative to Propecia

Printable View

• 04-25-2012 07:20 PM
    mack_435
    Alternative to Propecia
    Hello,

I tried Propecia and it did not work for me. I am currently using 5% rogaine foam as well as Nizoral. I would like to do something to reduce the DHT affect. I was wondering what would you all recommend as the best DHT Inhibitors beside Propecia? I am wondering if I should be taking saw palmetto or applying a topical cream like spiro?

Any response would be appreciated. Thank you
  • 04-25-2012 08:43 PM
    mack_435
    Any one tried and had success with using this cream . Topical Spironolactone S5 Cream?
  • 04-25-2012 08:56 PM
    Tracy C
    All I can say is that if I were a guy I would not touch Spironolactone in any form even with thick rubber gloves on.

If you have been on Propecia for a full year and you are still losing hair, you need to talk to your doctor to see what options might be available to you.
  • 04-25-2012 09:32 PM
    goldbondmafia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    All I can say is that if I were a guy I would not touch Spironolactone in any form even with thick rubber gloves on.

Not to sound ignorant but how come? I just dont understand the effects of spiro or what it even is...
  • 04-25-2012 11:10 PM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    I just dont understand the effects of spiro or what it even is...

Spiro is a potassium-sparing diuretic that is primarily used for high blood pressure and heart failure. It also has a long history of being used as an anti-androgen to treat female hirsutism as well as female hair loss and is often a component in hormone therapy for male to female transsexuals. I take Spiro for my hair loss. One of my best girlfriends used to be a boy. Spiro is one of the meds she took to feminize her body. To put it bluntly, Finasteride "might" cause negative sexual side effects for a male - but Spiro "will" cause negative sexual side effects for a male.
  • 04-26-2012 07:30 AM
    goldbondmafia
    Quote:

Spiro is a potassium-sparing diuretic that is primarily used for high blood pressure and heart failure. It also has a long history of being used as an anti-androgen to treat female hirsutism as well as female hair loss and is often a component in hormone therapy for male to female transsexuals. I take Spiro for my hair loss. One of my best girlfriends used to be a boy. Spiro is one of the meds she took to feminize her body. To put it bluntly, Finasteride "might" cause negative sexual side effects for a male - but Spiro "will" cause negative sexual side effects for a male.

:eek:

woa appreciate the response Tracy!
  • 04-26-2012 09:14 AM
    mack_435
    Quote:

If you have been on Propecia for a full year and you are still losing hair, you need to talk to your doctor to see what options might be available to you.

Thanks for the response Tracy. I didn't quit Propecia because it didn't work, I had to quit do to side effects. I have tried Propecia at two different times and both times around the 6 week mark I got side effects. The 2nd time I ws just taking .25 of a 1mg a day and unfortunately it still had the same effect.

So I guess my question to you Tracy, would be if someone can't take Propecia, what should they add to their routine? I currently use rogaine foam, laser comb and Nizoral.
  • 04-26-2012 10:42 AM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mack_435 View Post
    ...if someone can't take Propecia, what should they add to their routine? I currently use rogaine foam, laser comb and Nizoral.

If you can't take Finasteride, even at such a low dose, you certainly cannot take Dutasteride and absolutely should not even think about Spiro. Currently there is nothing else that is actually proven to work. If any alternative solution actually did work, it would likely have the same side effect profile.
  • 06-03-2012 12:34 PM
    goldbondmafia
    sorry to bump this old thread but i was looking into spiro a bit. How would the cream cause side effects? Tracy you said you wouldn't touch it if you were a guy but wouldn't the cream be a lot better than an oral form of the drug?

I just couldn't see how cream on ones scalp would cause such side effects but then again i do not know very much about spiro.
  • 06-03-2012 01:25 PM
    goldbondmafia
    check this thread out, people seem to be using Topical S5 cream without sides and results

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post893315391

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212