• 06-19-2014 04:42 PM
    Bold Legacy
    Drug called Xeljanz and hairloss (Yale study)
    As a semibald guy, I scramble online every now and then looking for that light at the end of the tunnel. So I stumbled on this right now - sorry if it's been already posted.

Yale scientists successfully use arthritis drug to regrow completely bald man's hair

Yale scientists have successfully used an arthritis medication to fully regrow the head and body hair of a almost totally hairless 25-year-old man.

Researchers administered the drug tofacitinib citrate to the unnamed patient, who suffered from the autoimmune baldness disease alopecia universalis.
    Within eight months, the man had regrown scalp and facial hair he'd not had in seven years.

'The results are exactly what we hoped for,' said Brett A. King, M.D., senior author of the paper, published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 'This is a huge step forward in the treatment of patients with this condition.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mans-hair.html

Thoughts?
  • 06-19-2014 04:55 PM
    nameless
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bold Legacy View Post
    As a semibald guy, I scramble online every now and then looking for that light at the end of the tunnel. So I stumbled on this right now - sorry if it's been already posted.

Yale scientists successfully use arthritis drug to regrow completely bald man's hair

Yale scientists have successfully used an arthritis medication to fully regrow the head and body hair of a almost totally hairless 25-year-old man.

Researchers administered the drug tofacitinib citrate to the unnamed patient, who suffered from the autoimmune baldness disease alopecia universalis.
    Within eight months, the man had regrown scalp and facial hair he'd not had in seven years.

'The results are exactly what we hoped for,' said Brett A. King, M.D., senior author of the paper, published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 'This is a huge step forward in the treatment of patients with this condition.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mans-hair.html

Thoughts?

Alopecia universalis is a totally different condition from the condition that we have. We have androgenetic alopeica.
  • 06-19-2014 05:06 PM
    Scientalk56
    OH MY GOD

The question is what about male pattern baldness ?!?!?!?!?!
  • 06-19-2014 05:14 PM
    sdsurfin
    Very cool for people with alopecia totalis, if it's reproducible. unfortunately the two diseases are not very related I don't think. They are mediated by different pathways. Wouldn't get your hopes up. It might be helpful in treating the inflammatory aspect of androgenic alopecia, but don't expect it to have the same kind of results!
  • 06-19-2014 05:25 PM
    Haircure
    This drug was already available in the market for prescription, and it's main action is to reduce immune response which led to the patient regrowing his hair. Like sdsurfin said, this is unlikely to cure male pattern baldness and not to mention the side effects of this drug are much more prominent and more dangerous than any other hair loss drugs we have now.

FYI don't post links from news website sources like the "daily mail", they often post misleading articles where they cherry pick info from the actual studies. The daily mail almost literally posts a "new cure" for baldness every month, with anything ranging from lasers to prp, which we all know are not cures.
  • 06-19-2014 05:32 PM
    Swooping
    Totally different than androgenetic alopecia. As said this drug totally wrecks your immune system. People have literally died from that drug due to infections, developing cancer etc. Cyclosporin (also a immunosuppressant) works pretty good at regrowing hair in patients with alopecia universalis too.
  • 06-19-2014 06:07 PM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swooping View Post
    Totally different than androgenetic alopecia. As said this drug totally wrecks your immune system. People have literally died from that drug due to infections, developing cancer etc. Cyclosporin (also a immunosuppressant) works pretty good at regrowing hair in patients with alopecia universalis too.

How would it be administered? Orally or as a topical? It's molecular weight is less than finasteride, at roughly 300 dalton which makes it suitable as a topical.
  • 06-19-2014 06:34 PM
    huawei
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swooping View Post

Yeah, 1000x this. Though death is something very rare generally additional health management is needed. eg going to the doctor if you get a cough rather than just letting it subside.

But otherwise, this is great news for those who suffer alopecia universalis, however the only related thing between the two conditions would be really be the inflammation around the follicle but even then completely different pathways.

I honestly hope no one is dumb enough to try this on themselves...
  • 06-19-2014 06:58 PM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by huawei View Post
    I honestly hope no one is dumb enough to try this on themselves...

I hope someone does, lol.
  • 06-20-2014 12:46 AM
    downandout
    apparently the assistant professor of dermatology at Yale University School of Medicine submitted a clinical trial proposal for a cream form of Xeljanz as a treatment for alopecia areata.

http://www.rttnews.com/2339547/the-b....aspx?type=sat

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212