Follicum

Printable View

• 10-26-2014 04:09 AM
    BaldmanandRobin
    Follicum
    http://www.lubio.se/?page_id=131

So, I've been lurking in these forums for a while now and I never registered because there hasn't been anything of value for me to add, up until now (maybe?).

Anyway, this company claims to promote hair growth more effectively than rogaine and whatnot. They also claim that they are able to prevent hair growth in unwanted areas of the body.

I believe this is their patent: http://www.google.com/patents/EP2741761A2?cl=en
  • 10-26-2014 09:37 AM
    DanWS
    Encouraging that the company is based on research by 2 professors from Lund University. It seems like an impressive institution. As per wiki; "Lund University is one of Europe's oldest universities and Scandinavia's largest institutions for education and research; it is consistently ranked among the world's top 100 universities."

Would be interested to know what anyone who knows more about the science involved than I do makes of the patent. Also I found http://www.follicum.se/?lang=en which is the company site. However on the 'Medical Need > Available Treatment' tab it reads "The patent for Rogaine has expired, and the patent for Propecia will expire in 2013" which makes me wonder how fast they're progressing since we're now well into 2014. Could just be something that's not been updated yet. But at least it looks like something legitimate, which is promising.
  • 10-26-2014 10:14 AM
    yayay
    Here's a recent article about it http://www.redeye.se/aktiebloggen/follicum-ab
  • 10-26-2014 11:39 AM
    Thinning@30
    Nice find. Wonder how this one escaped the community's notice for so long as it seems legitimate. Still must be a very long way away from commercialization since the website shows it as being in the preclinical phase. Interesting that the researchers think it could also be used to treat hirsutism as well as alopecia. I seem to remember reading something along the same lines for CB 03 01.
  • 10-26-2014 12:32 PM
    Jonathan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BaldmanandRobin View Post
    http://www.lubio.se/?page_id=131

So, I've been lurking in these forums for a while now and I never registered because there hasn't been anything of value for me to add, up until now (maybe?).

Anyway, this company claims to promote hair growth more effectively than rogaine and whatnot. They also claim that they are able to prevent hair growth in unwanted areas of the body.

I believe this is their patent: http://www.google.com/patents/EP2741761A2?cl=en

Where do you read about their claims of beeing better than Rogaine etc? I am from Sweden and have read the entire swedish webpage but not found anything other than that they will start development now...
  • 10-26-2014 04:07 PM
    Sogeking
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Where do you read about their claims of beeing better than Rogaine etc? I am from Sweden and have read the entire swedish webpage but not found anything other than that they will start development now...

Hey can you tell us what do you mean by development?
    Pre-clinical trials in lab? Pre-clinical in mice? Phase 1 trials?
  • 10-27-2014 02:41 AM
    DanWS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    Hey can you tell us what do you mean by development?
    Pre-clinical trials in lab? Pre-clinical in mice? Phase 1 trials?

Unfortunately they're still in pre-clinical phase - they've just stimulated hair growth on mice and are now listing the company on the stock market to generate funds for a Phase I / IIa study on humans during 2015-16.
  • 10-27-2014 05:27 AM
    BaldmanandRobin
    Quote:

http://www.follicum.se/wp-content/up...56851-5432.pdf

"Follicum utvecklar en läkemedelskandidat (FOL-005) som i prekliniska studier (i djurmodell och på isolerad mänsklig levande hud) både stimulerat och hämmat hårväxt effektivt redan vid låga doser. I dessa studier har man inte observerat några negativa reaktioner. Det har dessutom gjorts inledande toxikologiska studier (korttids) vilka inte kunde påvisa några negativa effekter. De prekliniska studierna har till stor del utförts av ett kontraktforskningslaboratorium i Indien (Dabur Research Foundation2). Dabur har tidigare gjort liknande studier med minoxidil (den aktiva ingrediensen i Rogaine®) och vid jämförelse med dessa resultat stimulerade FOL-005 (i prekliniskt likvärdiga studier) hårväxt betydligt snabbare och gav hårväxt på en betydligt större yta."
  • 10-27-2014 06:06 AM
    Jonathan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    Nice find. Wonder how this one escaped the community's notice for so long as it seems legitimate. Still must be a very long way away from commercialization since the website shows it as being in the preclinical phase.

I think its good that the community missed this one, because that means there can be hundreds of similar companies out there that we don't know about. Also there can be companies that are much ahead of this one. If they don't need funding there is no reason to go public with their progress.

Replicel, Histogen, CB and a bunch of companies like Follicum makes it very likely that we have something significantly better than today within 0-3 years, and a cure within 5-10 years in my opinion.

I know that not many people here share my optimism, most people like to be negative and some just because they don't wanna risk to be disappointed. But I truly believe that something exciting will come soon. Most likely it will come from a company we never heard of before.
  • 10-27-2014 08:21 AM
    gainspotter
    Follicum- is this where you rub jizz on your scalp to promote hair growth?
  • 10-27-2014 08:25 AM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gainspotter View Post
    Follicum- is this where you rub jizz on your scalp to promote hair growth?

More than likely. I heard its been done before with total hair loss reversal.
  • 10-27-2014 11:08 AM
    Kudu
    Quote:

I think its good that the community missed this one, because that means there can be hundreds of similar companies out there that we don't know about. Also there can be companies that are much ahead of this one. If they don't need funding there is no reason to go public with their progress.

Replicel, Histogen, CB and a bunch of companies like Follicum makes it very likely that we have something significantly better than today within 0-3 years, and a cure within 5-10 years in my opinion.

I know that not many people here share my optimism, most people like to be negative and some just because they don't wanna risk to be disappointed. But I truly believe that something exciting will come soon. Most likely it will come from a company we never heard of before.

I share your optimism, we keep getting a steady supply of promising information every few months, when things drop off a little everyone says that it's over and they give up hope. Were gonna be alright guys, it sucks that we can't have a cure now, it sucks that I won't have a good head of hair in high school, but things will get better.
  • 10-27-2014 03:18 PM
    burtandernie
    The amount of time and money it takes to get something to the finish line here does rain a little on my parade for this stuff. Lots of things simply fizzle out because they cant get hundreds of millions to see something through to the finish line and MPB is certainly one of those areas where it has happened before. Even CB is going after acne first because it affects more women and also most men even more then MPB so its much larger audience. All about the money and then you have the hurdle of being better than propecia to make it worthwhile.
    CB is the nearest right now so my hope is someone license it and push it through quickly so I can use that and pretend propecia never existed.
  • 10-27-2014 03:42 PM
    paulneedshair
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    More than likely. I heard its been done before with total hair loss reversal.

i dont no why people post stuff like that, it dont do anything to help us and bring a cure for us all
  • 10-27-2014 04:30 PM
    Trouse5858
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulneedshair View Post
    i dont no why people post stuff like that, it dont do anything to help us and bring a cure for us all

I thought it was pretty funny.
  • 11-01-2014 08:23 AM
    ChemicalBrother
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYyLx9BeMfg

it's all in swedish tho ...
  • 03-30-2015 07:01 AM
    Jajaja
    BUMP.
    I think that they have had a couple of "good" news lately and haven't seen any posts about this.

They were noted in the stock market this november and have had a few pretty good news since that.(toxic studies went well,
    They have done some studies that finnished and they are aiming to do the human trials this year. In a couple of days they are going to have a meeting with some kind of european medecin agency.
    They are also trying to get partners(licensing) to make this happen asap.

I think that the website is better updated atm but i'm not sure.
    http://www.follicum.se/?lang=en

also here is one of their presentation, in swedish.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QIOfFx6DVo preclinical results: 12.44 - I'm not the right person to translate/summarize it though.

atm it seems that they are able to block the hairgrowth on human, but in mice it's the other way around(If i'm not wrong,they did regrow a whole back of a mouse with just a couple of injections/week) and they think that it's possible to make that on humans aswell.
  • 03-30-2015 07:43 AM
    Alias123
    im swedish and understood everything, this is not something feasible dont get your hopes up its nothing i would focus on.
  • 03-30-2015 08:00 AM
    Rog
    Looking at the "History" section of the Follicum website http://www.follicum.se/?page_id=21, this is another collaboration project with Prof. Ralf Paus. So it has some credibility.
  • 03-30-2015 08:31 AM
    Illusion
    I have heard some ridiculous names for hair loss products but follicum tops them all.
  • 10-06-2015 08:20 AM
    Lionsmane
    News
    Some very interesting updates!

Follicum will participate in the Life Science Day 2015 in Paris on 20 October where it will present its preclinical results for investors.
    Check this out:
    "Follicum develops pharmaceuticals from manipulated endogenous peptides that directly affect the way hair follicles work. Preclinical efficacy studies show:
    - Effective inhibition of hair growth on living human skin tissue
    - The drug candidate stimulated hair growth much faster and produced hair growth over a much larger area than minoxidil (the active ingredient in Rogaine® (in-vivo)
    - No negative toxicological effects have been shown
    As these peptides are found in the human body we believe they will result in safe, efficacious treatments
    Potential to be first-in-class and first-in-category pharmaceuticals"

https://www.b2match.eu/lifescienceda...articipants/74

According to their website, they will also participate at the World Congress For Hair Research in Miami later this year.

http://www.follicum.se/en/
  • 10-06-2015 01:54 PM
    Arieux
    Thanks Lionsmane for this info. I saw also, that during the congress they will be presenting results of their trial:
    Quote:

The German research group which has generated important parts of Follicum’s research data on human skin will present their results both as a poster and in an oral presentation at the World Congress for Hair Research. The congress takes place in Miami in Florida, USA, on 18-21 November 2015.
    http://www.follicum.se/en/news/folli...arch-in-miami/
  • 10-06-2015 04:09 PM
    Hemo
    I don't get it - if they legitimately had better results than minox, why not release pics before the congress to build hype?
  • 10-06-2015 09:39 PM
    JosephFT
    There are no pictures available of the initial results vs. minox. That research was done at a 3rd party research lab in India. Also, those results were from mice.

I don't see any need for Follicum to build hype. They're going the pharmaceutical drug route which involves clinical trials and takes a few years. The results will speak for themselves. I've taken a close look at what they're up to, to me they're the real deal.
  • 10-07-2015 06:09 AM
    allTheGoodNamesAreTaken
    More planned trials are always good news but... results on mice are worthless, no reason for optimism.
  • 10-24-2015 10:15 AM
    jpar
  • 10-24-2015 10:31 AM
    jpar
    follicum translation
  • 10-24-2015 11:53 AM
    Superuser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpar View Post

Nothing new really, he says that their candidate FOL-005 can both inhibit and stimulate hairgrowth. FOL-005 has shown to be more effective than Minoxidil at stimulate hairgrowth in mice. You can read all of this at Follicums homepage.
  • 10-24-2015 08:40 PM
    JosephFT
    I think studies on mice are quite useful. Actually, the top scientists around the world decidedly choose mice as their best known model for doing hair growth research. These are people who are sometimes involved in 10+ years of clinical research.
  • 10-26-2015 08:22 PM
    Swooping
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephFT View Post
    I think studies on mice are quite useful. Actually, the top scientists around the world decidedly choose mice as their best known model for doing hair growth research. These are people who are sometimes involved in 10+ years of clinical research.

It's a shit model for AGA actually. But hey what other model can they choose from? Jup, none. So they need to go with mice because they have no other choice.
  • 10-26-2015 11:00 PM
    Kokles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephFT View Post
    I think studies on mice are quite useful. Actually, the top scientists around the world decidedly choose mice as their best known model for doing hair growth research. http://www.folliclethought.com/?p=752

Oh c'mon.. the best model is your own head (human head). If what you said had a great deal of truth in it, we would have 50 interesting products already on the market.. but all of them ended up like complete duds. I'm compiling a comprehensive list of all of the great products that were destined for the human head market but never made it past the mice experiments.

What happened to self experimentation in medicine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-e..._in_medicine)? You simply have to test on humans ..be a rebel and do what you have to do. There was a woman lately from a biotech company (Bioviva) who was like, screw FDA i'm going to test out two gene therapies on myself with one being a cancer risk.

That's what I call courage and science!.. simply we need human data and we need it fast.. investors should conduct secret tests to see if it's worth investing in such pipe-dreams.
  • 10-26-2015 11:17 PM
    champpy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokles View Post
    simply we need human data and we need it fast.. investors should conduct secret tests to see if it's worth investing in such pipe-dreams.

agreed!
  • 10-26-2015 11:26 PM
    ShookOnes
    Quote:

Oh c'mon.. the best model is your own head (human head). If what you said had a great deal of truth in it, we would have 50 interesting products already on the market.. but all of them ended up like complete duds. I'm compiling a comprehensive list of all of the great products that were destined for the human head market but never made it past the mice experiments.

What happened to self experimentation in medicine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-e..._in_medicine)? You simply have to test on humans ..be a rebel and do what you have to do. There was a woman lately from a biotech company (Bioviva) who was like, screw FDA i'm going to test out two gene therapies on myself with one being a cancer risk.

That's what I call courage and science!.. simply we need human data and we need it fast.. investors should conduct secret tests to see if it's worth investing in such pipe-dreams.

thats just greed lol. secret tests? on who? prisoners? lol.
  • 10-27-2015 12:17 AM
    Gullible's travels
    I thought they grafted human skin onto mice. There are pictures of that in their presentation.
  • 10-27-2015 09:23 AM
    jpar
    it'll be great when someone wins this god damn race and all the competitors cry the rest of their shit career for being slow testing on mice
    go sell your cure to super pets bud
  • 10-27-2015 10:19 AM
    Kokles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ShookOnes View Post
    thats just greed lol. secret tests? on who? prisoners? lol.

meh.. under secret I meant they do a proper quick test according to the laws of a different country to see whether there's any effect and then they can invest. So if then an well known or semi-well-known investor invests, we know that it probably worked.

Stuff like this already happened in the past and happened lately. The whole FDA testing is outdated and it halts safe and dangerous medicines the same way.. that makes no sense. The pharma business had not had a breakthrough in ages on anything.. it's all about gene therapy now. So if big pharma does not want to loose to gene therapies, they should start pressuring for a much better, faster while yet still safe procedures. Plus we are talking about stuff that people smear on their heads.. it's very hard to kill a person with newly developed pharmaceuticals as even during development one can predict the toxicity of them. I made my point ... not going to repeat myself.
  • 10-27-2015 12:13 PM
    Swooping
    Quote:

She is a very interesting individual that CEO of Bioviva. She lacks formal medical/scientific experience yet seems to come very far in a short while. She is clearly extremely passionate about the matter. If it's true what she is saying it's impressive imo. Very bold lady.
  • 10-27-2015 01:24 PM
    Kokles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swooping View Post
    She is a very interesting individual that CEO of Bioviva. She lacks formal medical/scientific experience yet seems to come very far in a short while. She is clearly extremely passionate about the matter. If it's true what she is saying it's impressive imo. Very bold lady.

I wish her all the best.. but the result is so frigging unpredictable and there's that cancer skeleton.. there is also hope that AAV-HTERT (whcih was used on Bioviva lady) can also reverse MPB.. it did reverse it in pattern baldness mice!! you know.. mice are the best model I heard from left and right :P

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant
02-26-2009 02:36 PM
Last Post By gisecit34
Today 03:47 AM
Hair Loss - Who Do You Talk To? - The Bald Truth For May 10th, 2024
05-10-2024 01:28 PM
Last Post By JoeTillman
05-10-2024 01:28 PM
How do project management consulting firms manage?
10-12-2023 06:15 AM
Last Post By annastark
05-09-2024 09:19 PM
How we do hairline femininization with interview Dr. Lindsey
05-09-2024 07:33 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
05-09-2024 07:33 AM