• 12-04-2014 08:13 AM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
    I went to the derm yesterday. Surprisingly enough he didn't rule out RU! He said as a certified doctor, he can only suggest me to take what's approved on the market, but he didn't seem overly stunned at my attempt of asking him what he thinks about RU. He did say doses are so minimal that sides would not be apparent compared to FIN but did make the analogy with the fact that tar applied on skin could be found in your urine so the skin is porous and anything CAN theoretically make it in your bloodstream and system and since we don't know the effects of RU in the body, it could be toxic/dangerous.

Btw, he's a private dermatologist that has VERY good knowledge (he actually appears on TV and is a very reputable doctor in my city), he knew about RU, he knew about the research center in Vancouver's UBC about derm and hair loss. He gave me very good insight on hair loss, one that a normal GP would NOT give. When asked about FIN, he told me he's much more worried about the lack of studies made for prostate and breast cancer than the sexual side effects.

A doctor that knows something about hair loss? That's rare.
  • 12-04-2014 09:46 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
    I went to the derm yesterday. Surprisingly enough he didn't rule out RU! He said as a certified doctor, he can only suggest me to take what's approved on the market, but he didn't seem overly stunned at my attempt of asking him what he thinks about RU. He did say doses are so minimal that sides would not be apparent compared to FIN but did make the analogy with the fact that tar applied on skin could be found in your urine so the skin is porous and anything CAN theoretically make it in your bloodstream and system and since we don't know the effects of RU in the body, it could be toxic/dangerous.

Sounds like you found a good doctor.

Vitamin A and Iodine for example are toxic at certain levels but necessary for a healthy body at their recommended levels. Urushiol (oil from poison ivy) is considered one of the most toxic substances on the planet. About 85% of all humans are allergic to the oil but animals are apparently unaffected. A lot of guys are using RU. If there is a toxicity threshold with RU, there should be some similar reported side effects making their way into the hair loss forums. Lots of variables to consider though. For example lung cancer from cigarette smoking may not show up in a smoker for decades.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
  • 12-05-2014 08:36 AM
    Illusion
    @Chuck, what does Dr. Cole think of RU?
  • 12-05-2014 09:36 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    @Chuck, what does Dr. Cole think of RU?

I haven't been able to find any information related to the actual reason Roussel Uclaf Corporation didn't pursue marketing and approval for RU58841. Only speculation. PubMed.gov has an article from 1994 presenting RU as a hopeful treatment for androgenic alopecia. Names of researchers are listed as:
    Battmann T, Bonfils A, Branche C, Humbert J, Goubet F, Teutsch G, Philibert D.
    Perhaps one of these guys could be contacted and asked whether there were safety concerns. Might have to read between the lines.

Referenced RU58841 Article

I'm fairly certain Dr. Cole's opinion of RU58841 would be heavily influenced by its non-FDA approval status.

Chuck
  • 12-07-2014 08:55 PM
    Amercancer
    Hello, for anyone using RU powder. Do u place the powder on freezer all the time. I was just putting the mix in there and keeping the powder on a shelf. Did I kill the RU powder?
  • 12-07-2014 09:03 PM
    lilpauly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Amercancer View Post
    Hello, for anyone using RU powder. Do u place the powder on freezer all the time. I was just putting the mix in there and keeping the powder on a shelf. Did I kill the RU powder?

No it's stable in room temp for a very very long time !
  • 12-08-2014 03:09 AM
    Amercancer
    So why do people always say they keep the RU powder before they mix it in the freezer? I know u put it in freezer after u do the mixing.
  • 12-08-2014 03:16 AM
    lilpauly
    Quote:

So why do people always say they keep the RU powder before they mix it in the freezer? I know u put it in freezer after u do the mixing.

no I dont . I store my mine in the refrig
  • 12-08-2014 05:20 AM
    Amercancer
    So u put the raw RU in fridge and after u mix it in freezer?
  • 12-08-2014 05:29 AM
    lilpauly
    Quote:

So u put the raw RU in fridge and after u mix it in freezer?

I keep RU in refring , and make batches that last approx 2 weeks and keep at room temp

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth