• 04-03-2012 11:35 AM
    Spex
    "Mansome Movie" - Morgan Spurlock interviews Spex and Dr Feller for Male Grooming
    Guys,

An interesting chain of events has lead me to announce here about an upcoming movie about male grooming called " Mansome " directed and produced by Morgan Spurlock ( Supersize me Movie )

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...l/images-1.jpg

I met with Morgan Spurlock one night in London several months ago for a few beers and we hit it off famously. We met through a mutual friend who had informed Morgan about my involvement with the hair loss and HT community along with my own journey and my role and double life in the industry as " Spex".

Morgan was keen to meet up a couple of times and find out more about this hidden epidemic of hair loss and the industry generally for his upcoming movie, Mansome. The movie is a documentary and involves several A list celebrities and their grooming habits along with a bunch of everyday guys and their own plights. Names involved that i know of and also had pleasure of meeting one of them are, Zach Galifianakis, Will Arnett, Paul Rudd, Jason Bateman, Morgan etc

Morgan was truly fascinated by HT's and mine in particular along with the lengths we hair loss suffers go to to stop, conceal and regrow our hair in order to regain our confidence, identity and self esteem and he found it pretty awesome that HT's could in fact look so natural after rummaging through mine on more than one occasion. I also hooked him up with a couple of other patients in London. He is known to the world as a harsh critic, yet he was genuinely blown away by the hair transplants disclosed to him.

Well only a few weeks ago Morgan called me up to discuss ' The Mansome Movie ' further as he wanted to try feature Hair transplants within it as he and his production team felt it appropriate for the movie alongside other relevant segments and suggested an entire piece could well be dedicated to HT's potentially if we were willing to help him.

Cut to now... I just returned back from a whistle stop mission to NYC - (i will not bore you with those details) where we filmed an entire day with his team up at Feller Medical and both Dr Feller and I were interviewed at great length for the segment.The day was great and a very long one in order to include everything. Along with interviews with us and with patients, Dr Feller was filmed at work performing surgery too on a UK patient.

We very much hope that some of the footage gets used in the movie as it would be awesome and will undoubtedly help educate and inform the masses via the silver screen regarding HT's accurately, once and for all.

Morgan and Spex after a few too many beers last month

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...anSpurlock.jpg

The Mansome movie premiers at The Tribeca Film Festival mid April and Morgan has mentioned if we make the final cut we will get to meet all the stars involved which is really exiting!

Keep you all informed.
    Best
    SPEX
  • 04-03-2012 11:44 AM
    8868alex
    Awesome!.. Loved, Supersize me. Hopefully this will come to pass and garner some positive mainstream exposure.

I think you may need to start considering a Bald Truth Uk show Spex!
  • 04-03-2012 12:46 PM
    Spex
    Cheers man - I will leave the radio show to the professionals. :cool:

Hey lets hope they include our footage as it would be great :)

Best
    SPEX
  • 04-03-2012 12:58 PM
    chrisdav
    Wow....Spex well done.

It was only a matter of time though until you and your spexhair website became famous outside the forums!
  • 04-03-2012 01:07 PM
    spreadlocks
    This is great great news man. Well done. I think Morgan Spurlock is a great movie maker and someone who can be trusted to honestly reprisent the HT scene in a documentary. It seems like he wants to portray the truth in docs which is more than can be said for most movie makers.

You'll be living the Hollywood lifestyle soon. Has Kim Kardashian asked you out on a date yet? : )

I hope Zach Galifianakis wasn't talking about hair loss because he has one of the most beautiful hairlines I have ever seen.

It's perfect. Hahaha.

http://0.tqn.com/d/movies/1/0/W/N/X/...kis-poster.jpg
  • 04-03-2012 11:20 PM
    Spex
    Cheers guys - Love the pic of Alan!!!! He is a genius!

Fingers crossed - As i mentioned lets hope we make the final cut.:cool:

Regards
    SPEX
  • 04-04-2012 03:11 AM
    Folly
    I'm seeing an Oscar already !! I reckon Spex will turn into a right Diva if he makes this movie. :p
  • 04-04-2012 05:26 AM
    chrisis
    Awesome :)

Hopefully the movie will give this topic more mainstream exposure and acceptance.
  • 04-04-2012 08:55 AM
    Spex
    Cheers. Lets hope :cool:

Best
    SPEX
  • 04-04-2012 12:11 PM
    Jotronic
    This is cool, good job. As already stated this can only serve to help the field overall because finally there is a credible HT doctor being interviewed. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to yell at the television when I see some no name or a hack that is being interviewed.

Fingers crossed on the editor not chopping too much of Dr. Feller out. Dr. Hasson and I were recently interviewed on Global National for a nationwide newscast. Out of about 20 minutes of footage we both got about 4 seconds of air time, LOL! Good luck and next time I'm in London I'm tracking you down for that beer that we've talked about. I might even try to make the big meet up next month if I'm welcome.

Cheers!
  • 04-04-2012 06:35 PM
    Downunder74
    Wow, this is a great way to get heard Spex i hope they include you and your book. Well done.
  • 04-05-2012 02:42 AM
    Spex
    Thanks Downunder :cool:

Quote:

Good luck and next time I'm in London I'm tracking you down for that beer that we've talked about. I might even try to make the big meet up next month if I'm welcome.
    Cheers Joe. I would love to have a beer mate with you - it's long overdue:)

I dont know anything about big meet up up next month, no invite either.

Whenever you are over here next let me know as be great to get together :cool:

Regards
    Spence
  • 04-06-2012 02:14 AM
    chrisdav
    Jotronic, you are one of the very few classy guys like Spex who compliments on other clinics achievements.

It takes broad shoulders to compliment a competitor, thats why few do it and I admire the people who do.

Spex and yourself are a credit to this entire industry and other clinics should take note of that.

Spex and yourself get a lot of kudos for your services and rightly so.

That is why I have a lot respect for the pair of you.
  • 04-06-2012 03:21 AM
    ejj
    this sounds good , i wonder if any part of the film will interview patients where things have not gone to plan and they are a lot worse off , like those documentaries , face blacked out , actors voice used ,etc similar to the recent UK breast implant scandal so the patient can really open up without fear of being banned, or legally threatened , that would be a scoop !

happy easter

ejj
  • 04-06-2012 06:16 AM
    Spex
    Chris, Joe is a mensch thats why :cool:

Ej, Ummm.. not at our day filming at the Feller Medical office. I know you personally have been f@cked over by the industry personally and had issues with particular clinics/docs of late but the film on all accounts is a look into the extremes men and especially celebs go to and their grooming habits.
  • 04-06-2012 06:52 AM
    ejj
    Hi Spex

Looking at the McDonalds film Im led to believe it forced a few changes within the fast food industry, a repair patient may be good to showcase as its the extreme lengths they have already been to, so to speak , just a thought really or perhaps that could be a seperate film altogether

ejj
  • 04-06-2012 07:31 AM
    topcat
    EJJ I agree and while they are at it maybe include how some of the hair loss forums operate. How the information is massaged by deleting posts or banning posters. And might as well include how too many in the industry are money grubbing scumbags along with those they employ, of course not everyone but too many. Sounds like a good angle to me.

People love sensationlism and it draws and holds more viewer eyes. Let them watch the train wreck and see how it all happens.
  • 04-06-2012 08:16 AM
    Spex
    Guys,

The segment we are involved in, even if its included, will possibly only be a few minutes long, if that and will very much generalise Ht's when performed right. They will not be going into the dark political world of hair transplants and distressed unhappy patients who hate the industry. Spare a minute to look at the cast involved... It's not that type of film.

TopCat are you imply i'm a money grabbing scumbag coz im employed by the industry ?

S
  • 04-06-2012 08:38 AM
    HelpROGER
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spex View Post

TopCat are you imply i'm a money grabbing scumbag coz im employed by the industry ?

S

King Topcat speaks! You must be a money hungry scumbag Spex, King Topcat, King of the forums said so.
    All hail King Topcat, King of the forums!
  • 04-06-2012 09:20 AM
    ejj
    no worries , my mistake, my thoughts were that it may be similar to the film made about the fast food industry ( mcdonalds ) he didnt do `ronald` any favours !.... and i thought it may be a kind of similar ` fly on the wall ` documentary about hair transplants/ industry , hence the input in the first place .

I saw a documentary channel 4 about male cosmetic surgery , facelifts , hairtransplants, stomach 6 pack implants, bicep and pec implants pretty scary really what people do to so called improve there appearance , most resembled someone who had been stuck in a ` wind tunnel` for a few hours !

Frightnening what people get sold .

I hope the film is good and informative , i hope its a big success and beneficial to anyone considering hair restoration

ejj
  • 04-06-2012 09:27 AM
    chrisdav
    What programme was that ejj?
  • 04-06-2012 09:49 AM
    ejj
    no worries Chrisdav as its `you` who is asking ...

it was Louis Theroux = ` under the knife ` BBC 2 shown on the 26/06/2007

Catergory Factual and Arts TV

ejj
  • 04-06-2012 10:44 AM
    topcat
    Spex the phrase “too many does” not single out anyone. It means exactly that too many bad guys and not enough goods guys. I want to see more written and seen about the slimy under belly of this industry including how many of these forums operate. These young guys come here and eat this shit up because they don’t know any better. Let’s talk about that and we can include the doctors out there that feel its okay to sue their patients because they don’t like what they have to say. These doctors either did crap work or they didn’t fully inform the patient on what exactly to expect covering all the bases. That’s what happens when they try too hard to sell the procedure.

The money grubbing scumbags in this industry know who they are I don’t need to point them out. I know many in the industry do not like what I have to say and would like to paint a happy face but that is not be completely truthful.
  • 04-06-2012 11:28 AM
    8868alex
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    Spex the phrase “too many does” not single out anyone. It means exactly that too many bad guys and not enough goods guys. I want to see more written and seen about the slimy under belly of this industry including how many of these forums operate. These young guys come here and eat this shit up because they don’t know any better. Let’s talk about that and we can include the doctors out there that feel its okay to sue their patients because they don’t like what they have to say. These doctors either did crap work or they didn’t fully inform the patient on what exactly to expect covering all the bases. That’s what happens when they try too hard to sell the procedure.

The money grubbing scumbags in this industry know who they are I don’t need to point them out. I know many in the industry do not like what I have to say and would like to paint a happy face but that is not be completely truthful.

Topcat - Any genuine Hairloss sufferer would understand how you must feel. You have my respect and I wish you the best. However, I feel compelled to have Spex's back here. The guy has taken time out to help me and several other guys at NO benefit to himself on numerous occasions. Granted, there may be few "good" guys, but he's one of them.! Also, the guy is taking proactive moves to get his message out there in a positive fashion. There is no reason why you could not do likewise. I for one would be interested in seeing an expose on the industry, I just think Morgan Spurlock is addressing the subject from a wider viewpoint.
  • 04-06-2012 11:32 AM
    chrisdav
    Thanks EJ.

Spex everyone knows you are one of the few good guys.

I looked up Mansome and it looks to be a funny cast. The hangover guy, say no more!

I hope you guys don't sabotage this thread with your playground BS, like we see so many times.

No one is questioning Spex. Read his book and all his posts. He has done more for the industry than most and helped 1000's in the process. Myself included.

Keep up the great work Spex.
  • 04-06-2012 11:38 AM
    Spex
    Guys - please do not let this topic degenerate into a BS saga. I have stated what the movie is about and the fact how we got involved and the fact we might not even be in it. Everyone take a chill pill.

It's a comedy look at male grooming ...:rolleyes:

S
  • 04-06-2012 11:55 AM
    ejj
    anytime chrisdav , you should check it out on player well worth a watch , i thought Mr Theroux and Mr Spurlock were similar ! didnt really get it was a comedy angle, as to be honest I havnt heard of any of the names in the cast !

I think if Men were more open about having a Transplant it would make it more socially acceptable, then a good open ` fly on the wall ` documentary would go down well with the public , we dont talk about hair transplants socially , I certainly dont, and want it to be a secret really , whereas women get there ` cans ` done and tell everyone, its a strange one , I had a female freind lift her top up and say " what do you think of these" ... can you imagine us doing the same ? doesnt happen ! so i hope the film helps in any way it can

happy easter everyone !

ejj
  • 04-06-2012 01:34 PM
    8868alex
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Guys - please do not let this topic degenerate into a BS saga. I have stated what the movie is about and the fact how we got involved and the fact we might not even be in it. Everyone take a chill pill.

It's a comedy look at male grooming ...:rolleyes:

S

Lol!.. I'm off to have mine now guys!,

peace
  • 04-06-2012 04:23 PM
    topcat
    I never wrote Spex was a money grubbing scumbag nor do I feel I insinuated it in anyway. As far as I know Spex seems to be an honest person. I was specifically referring to the industry.

There is also absolutely nothing wrong with putting out a positive message. I was not trying to take away or redirect his thread but you need to understand the negative in order to fully appreciate the positive. One must see both sides of the coin.

I can sit here and heap constant praise on a clinic but for the most part I do not do that because I’m more interested in trying to prevent the bad and it has been that way for the last 14 years.

This is who I am and I think it’s important. I speak out much more against many other industries and one of them at the top is the health and fitness industry. It is completely corrupt from top to bottom with everyone feeding off of everyone else and the common person paying the price. It’s important to understand all of this and pass the message on to others. That is all I am doing here.

I have read some of these recent news articles mentioning specific doctors and I think to myself sure it's a positive message but it's a complete load of horse shit but the average person would not know it. I just wouldn't want to see a segment in a movie glamourizing an industry that has a lot to hide.
  • 04-07-2012 08:05 AM
    Spex
    I hear what you are saying Topcat but possibly educating patients about the actual GOOD clinics and good people out there and educating them as I try to do might be a better angle to take and enable all your energy to be much better spent. The industry is slimy evil place, i know. I fell at the hands of it. That's why educating more constructively your words in my opinion will carry more weight and help more people believe it or not rather than trying to indirectly get at certain people. I just try to educate and inform patients on actual Hair transplants, not the BS politics.

I know you mean well and believe you me i would love to expose this ruthless industry and all the hacks along with all the bastards and the unbelievable outrageous stuff i know of too. I have been around 12+ years and met, helped and counselled 1000's, i know a few things too i wish i didnt, trust me. Who knows maybe one day there will be an opportunity. If im presented with one i will give you a call.

Best
    SPEX
  • 04-08-2012 03:51 AM
    chrisdav
    Good post Spex.
  • 04-09-2012 09:02 AM
    Jotronic
    Agreed. Good post. I listened in on the show last night while you and Dr. Feller were on air and while I didn't see some of the comments in the chat room I later called in and agreed with Spencer on air that something like this can only be a good thing for the field as a whole. My position is that with quality and accurate exposure it can help to raise the bar for how the general public views this type of procedure and may help to expose those doing sub-par work.

Overall, it's a baby step but of course Rome wasn't built in a day. I look forward to seeing this and hope you and Dr. Feller get some exposure.
  • 04-09-2012 09:08 AM
    chrisis
    Most of the people who attacked spex and Dr Feller clearly didn't understand what the subject was about. That's fair enough, but they didn't take the time to listen and find out. It's so easy to hurl criticisms behind the comfort of a screen and internet anonymity.

This was a good topic and one of the better shows of late.
  • 04-09-2012 10:48 AM
    chrisdav
    Where can I listen to the show from last night ?

why was Spex and Dr Feller attacked?

What was said?

Sounds like possible jealousy to me.
  • 04-10-2012 02:50 AM
    Spex
    All good.

" Embrace the haters ": Spencer Kobren

Nuff said :cool:
  • 04-10-2012 03:02 AM
    mattj
    Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't see any of this ruthlessness on the hairloss/hair transplant forums, nor do I see much of this "money grubbing", either. The culture of the forums doesn't permit that kind of thing. Heck, when I'm trying to offer help it's always in the back of my mind that some might think I'm trying to promote my doctor in the process. It actually stops me from posting sometimes - I'm that careful.

Spex has been around the scene a long time and he's probably over these worries. I don't think anyone could fault his intentions. He's earned his stripes in the trenches. :D
  • 04-10-2012 05:36 AM
    Spex
    Cheers Matt, dont sweat it. You cant please everyone all the time.;)

The topic was taken off tangent unfortunately .. lets keep it on track :cool:
  • 04-10-2012 07:16 AM
    chrisdav
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here you go Spex, new logo for you :)
  • 04-10-2012 07:41 AM
    Spex
    LOL! Thats a possibility :cool:
  • 04-12-2012 03:23 AM
    chrisdav
    I listened to the interview last night and thought it was real positive and a great interview.

It was good to hear from Spex, Dr Feller and later Jotronic.

Spex made it crystal clear in the interview that the movie is clearly not just about hair transplants and hair loss. :rolleyes:

The callers in after were very complimentary and I think rightly so.

It is good exposure for the hair loss community and hopefully it will spread the word of what is actually possible and send a stark warning out to the poor clinics that operate to raise your game or be eliminated as Joe mentioned.

It was also interesting to hear what Joe said about the lady in Italy.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth