Hair loss?

Printable View

• 04-09-2012 12:09 PM
    zinga
    7 Attachment(s)
    Hair loss?
    Hi I'm 25 years old, and I'm starting freak out about possible hair loss. I first noticed my receded hairline a year or so ago after I decided to cut my hair short (I had long bangs before) so I asked my dad about my mom's side of the family (had zero contact, ever) and it turns out that they have the balding gene, while my dad's side is totally full of hair. So I guess my chances are 50% afaik?

Opinions?

Please and thank you
  • 04-09-2012 01:08 PM
    Tracy C
    Hello,

Nearly everyone has hereditary hair loss in their family trees on both sides of their family. It is very difficult to find anyone who doesn't.

Though the pictures you have provided are far from good, it is pretty clear that you are losing hair. You are catching it early though so you are in a better position than you might think. If this bothers you, start by booking an appointment with a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss.

The most imprtant part of treating hereditary hair loss for males is to get DHT under control. You need to talk to a doctor about the medicine that can do that. Till then, it would be a good idea to start using Nizoral A-D shampoo once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo. Switch your regular shampoo and conditioner to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. Consider starting on Rogaine foam and consider giving the laser comb a try.

You may also be able to benefit from using a hair loss concealer such as Dermmatch until you don't need to use it anymore.

All my best to you,

Tracy
  • 04-09-2012 04:44 PM
    8868alex
    Hi

Good advice from TC. Taking action will ease the anxiety.

Good luck!
  • 04-10-2012 04:04 AM
    mattj
    As Tracy said, it's hard to find a person with no hairloss at all within their family. At least if they are Caucasian.

You do seem to have early stage male pattern baldness. Your hair appears to still be strong behind the recession. If you take to step of beginning treatment with a DHT blocker (Like Propecia) you could stop hairloss in its tracks.
  • 04-10-2012 11:38 AM
    zinga
    Thanks for your time and the info! I'll try to be proactive on this issue :)

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth