• 08-29-2013 06:50 PM
    Rav Chase
    5 Attachment(s)
    Week 3
    Today is exactly 3 weeks from the day of the transplant.

Things have been pretty stable the past week. I attended a wedding last weekend and it was pretty much perfect timing because the scabs had all long since healed and the transplanted hair hadn't yet fallen out, so my Toppik-assisted head looked better than ever.

My scalp has generally felt tight and I feel like whenever I lean my head forward, I'm stretching the scar. A slight bit painful at times. Also either the hangovers this past weekend had an exponential effect on the pain, or vice versa. Either way, haven't needed a Tylenol in a few days, so generally things have been good.

While I haven't noticed the small transplanted hairs falling out, there are clearly fewer than there were a week ago, so I'm sure it's happening. You can still see alot of the tiny hairs when my hair is wet. He was able to get back pretty far. Looking forward to seeing them and their already-departed brothers again in a few months :)

The one pic is of my everyday appearance with Toppik. Intentionally taken without flash and those harsh bathroom lights.

You can see the scar if the hair is parted in a certain direction, for example if I lay down at the wrong angle. On the plus side, it's basically a white hairless thin line right now, no redness to speak of, and it doesn't itch or anything. My barber left the back of my head on the long side directly above the scar, and I can see why. He said we'll have to trim it down gradually to meet the sides, which he is able to cut short, and will eventually get there once the hair grows through the scar.
  • 08-30-2013 03:52 AM
    DAVE52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav Chase View Post
    He said we'll have to trim it down gradually to meet the sides, which he is able to cut short, and will eventually get there once the hair grows through the scar.

:confused:
  • 08-30-2013 05:21 AM
    Rav Chase
    Sorry if that was confusing. The barber told me that if he cuts the back too short right now, the (hairless) scar will be visible. Once the hair grows through the trichophytic closure, he'll be able to shorten the hair on rest of the back of my head (namely, above it) so it blends in and looks natural.
  • 08-30-2013 07:23 PM
    Rav Chase
    Dave52 - just checking out your posts - that is a pretty mild scar, especially considering you had it done 12 years ago. You hair is practically buzzed, and it's still only slightly visible. Not bad. I wasn't even anticipating being able to get close to that length at any point in the future. Hope mine turns out good as well.
  • 09-12-2013 07:16 PM
    Rav Chase
    6 Attachment(s)
    Week 5
    Today is exactly 5 weeks from the surgery. Haven't posted at all in the past 2 weeks because there's been nothing to report and, to be honest, I haven't thought about it much.

I had a wedding again last weekend and the sides and back had grown out too puffy, so I had my hair cut again, this time much shorter (about 3/4 inch in back). Donor line not even noticeable. I think if you're REALLY looking for it, in the right light, you can see the "line" of hair above the scar hanging over the hairless area (even though he cut it evenly). But no one is examining my head that closely. One thing I've noticed is that Toppik fibers bunch up around the donor line...it feels like there are scabs on there, but I just realized that's what it was when I went to take these pics. Left side of the donor scar is still on the pink side. The barber said I am growing some stubble in parts of the scar, which is why it might be itching more than it had been.

The top pretty much looks like it did before the surgery. If there's shock loss, I can't say it's noticeable. My hair didn't exactly look as good as it did with Toppik 2 weeks earlier when the transplanted hairs were still there, but no worse than it has for the past couple years. There are a bunch of red dots towards the front of my head. Have been present for a bout a week. A couple times there's been a drop of blood. They've generally healed and scabbed within a day or two, and now look like pimples.
  • 10-12-2013 09:02 PM
    Rav Chase
    5 Attachment(s)
    2 Months post-HT
    Things have been going well. Not much change. I feel like there's some stubble, because when I put on the Toppik, it feels like there's something it's clinging to in hairless temples. Maybe it's still the remnants of the transplant hair. Hopefully by the next time I'm on here I have more news to report. The pics below here from 10/8, exactly 2 months after surgery. I am getting a decent amount of acne on the left side of my head. Scar not visible unless you're really looking for it. Here my hair is wet, so you can kind see the line. It's still a little on the red side, but I can cut my hair pretty short. Last two pics are with Toppik - I'm glad I have it. Would look terrible if I had to go out with pimples all over my head.
  • 11-11-2013 06:43 PM
    Rav Chase
    4 Attachment(s)
    3 Months Out
    It's been three months now since the surgery. Starting to show some progress! I think I've officially graduated the "ugly duckling" stage which, aside from some acne & redness on one section, was practically non-existent. At this point I think I already look better than I did before the surgery. Given that the hair isn't supposed to START to grow until 3-4 months out, I'd say that's a pretty good sign.

Starting to see some fine growth in the receding temple area. It's almost like I can see a 5 o'clock shadow in the area where my new hairline will emerge. Was expecting more of a "stubbly" look at first but it seems like those transplanted hairs that didn't fall out after the operation are now growing longer. This is definitely better because it doesn't contrast badly with my longer native hair. There's likely some fine hair further back as well, but it just gives the appearance of thickness at this point, as opposed to looking like short hair under long hair. You can see some of the skin issues here - the big brown spot in the middle is a scab, and the pink spot on your right (my left) is a cluster of acne/small scabs.

As for the donor area, wearing my hair a little longer above the scar but it blends when combed (and not wet, like in the pics). Still a little pink and itchy, but not painful or annoying, and, most importantly, not visible.
  • 12-12-2013 04:42 PM
    Rav Chase
    6 Attachment(s)
    4-months post-Op
    It's now been 4 months since the surgery. Definitely some more growth since last month, and I would say it's a vast improvement from two months ago, before I started seeing growth.

At this point, I feel like I have an established hairline. While it's still pretty fine growth, the receding hairline is no longer present. With Toppik filling it in (although I'm tapering off in front), I look like I have a full head of hair. Without it, instead of a being a balding guy with a receding hairline, I look more like a guy with thinning hair. Over the next few months, I'm looking forward to increasing thickness as the hair eventually replaces the Toppik.

First two pics are of the front and top of my head, soaking wet. Then the same shots, only dry. You can see the hairline establishing itself. Look back at my "before" pics...it doesn't exist. The "top dry" pic shows my main concern so far. The left side of my head in the temple (right side in the pic) seems to be filling in thinner than the right side. I feel like my hair has ALWAYS been thinner on that side (look at my before pics and some from the first few weeks), so perhaps he didn't compensate for that, and filled them in equally.

Last two pics show me with Toppik on. As you can see, hairline generally looks full all the way across. Compare to my before pics with Toppik, which couldn't do anything in the temples because there was nothing there.
  • 01-18-2014 08:24 AM
    Rav Chase
    5 Attachment(s)
    5 Months post-HT
    5 Months in, and continual progress, and I can see more coming. Over the past month, two friends (who I don't see THAT often), gave me "compliments." I overhead two balding guys who had shaved their heads talking about what a pain it was, and baldness, and one remarked, "Joe still has a good head of hair." Another was talking about how they haven't cut their hair, and I remarked that I haven't cut my hair on top in a long time (used to self-deprecating baldness jokes), and he said, "Why? Are you losing your hair? You don't look like you're losing your hair." Still using Toppik, but it's less work, and more focused on the back. Just some sprinkles in the middle, a comb-thru, and a few spritzes with the applicator near the forelock.

The hairline is clearly defining itself. This is probably the best part. On top, it's much more than the wisps it was a few months ago. The picture of the right side of my head is probably the most telling of what is to come. There are many smaller hairs still growing in beneath the longer (native) hairs. This is probably giving the impression of thickness; however, odds are that none of the longer hairs (over an inch) are new (they've only been growing 2 months tops), which means that most of my transplanted hairs are about 1/2 inch or so right now, which means there's alot more length (and likely thickness, since most are fine) to come. The left side of my scalp is still reddish. I'll speak with the doctor at my 6-month followup. It does itch, but not terribly. As for the scar, the barber still cuts above it a little longer (and I haven't been there in a few weeks), so it's easy to pull the hair out of the way. I haven't seen any hair grow through the closure yet though. Anybody know when I should start seeing that?
  • 01-18-2014 08:24 PM
    Notcoolanymore
    Good results so far, and you are not even 6 months in. It's a good thing you are happy thus far with the result. I feel bad for the guys that make the big decision to go under the knife only to be unsatisfied and $15,000 out of pocket.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM