• 02-08-2012 09:51 AM
    chrisis
    Non-surgical tips for Norwood 2/Receded hairline?
    Hi guys,

I think I'm Norwood 2 on the scale, but probably progressing towards 2A and 3, unless I take action.

The big problem is my receded hairline. I like to keep my hair spikey and full at the front, but I'm increasingly forced to use hair from the side to conceal the receded areas. My biggest enemies are wind and rain! If the placement of my hair loses grip, then the receded areas are quite obvious and I look ridiculous.

I'm wondering if any guys with similar hairloss know of tips to style or conceal my receded areas, until my treatments kick in or I go for a transplant?

I'm open to anything! Thanks in advance! :)
  • 02-08-2012 03:15 PM
    8868alex
    I'm a NW3. To minimise the recession, I always go close on the back and sides (grade 1) with a short, brushed forward cut and maybe style it a little to give some texture on the hairline (avoiding the straight look). I'm lucky in that my hair is coarse so It actually looks quite thick when cut as such. I would go short in front so that it will be minimallly affected by the wind, rain, etc but keep it long enough to disguise it a little. A shorter back and sides will give you a sense of proportion and take the focus of the temporal areas. A Norwood 2 appearance is quite easily softened so you should be fine. I'd be careful of bangs or keeping it too long in front. This will only emphasise the lack of hair in the event of a stiff breeze.
  • 02-08-2012 03:56 PM
    chrisis
    Thanks 8868alex!

I go grade 1 at the sides and back already, however the top and front is left quite long. I reviewed my hairline and fear I may be closer to NW3 than I thought (denial? :(). If I went short at the front, it would be quite obvious I was receding. I'm pretty much hanging on by the threads of my sides to cover up the loss at the front. I don't look good with short hair anyway... :(

So my options appear either to get a short cut and hate it.

Or:

Stick with the same cut, along with good styling products and maybe something to mask the recession.... this is what I'd really like help with if possible.

and of course...

Continue using 'the big 3' and consider the option of a hair transplant in the receded areas if required.

Any further thoughts much appreciated.
  • 02-08-2012 07:17 PM
    8868alex
    I use the big 3 myself so I can see the why you may be considering that as an option. Good luck with that if you do follow up on it. If you would prefer to keep your hair a bit longer on top, than by all means do so. I developed a NW 3 in my early twenties and ten years on, I'm still about the same so try not to worry too much, especially if you follow up on treatment. You also have Histogen, Aderans and Replicel all racing to offer new, innovative therapies. Find a good barber and experiment with a few differant lengths. If you turn up to get a cut and you are already wearing your hair to reduce temporal visibility, a good barber will probably pick up that you would be looking for a shorter variation on the same theme.
  • 02-08-2012 07:37 PM
    chrisis
    Yeah I'm hoping that I caught it just in the nick of time! Earlier might have stopped any recession at all, but it's pointless worrying about the past - it's done.

At least now I have declared war and hopefully have the right troops to hold the line and maybe even advance and reoccupy territory ;)

If not I will just have to draft in some cavalry from the back.

I think I may have got a bit carried away with my metaphor...

:o
  • 02-09-2012 12:31 AM
    davissari
    Save your hair first
    I would suggest you to stop worrying about style and concentrate on hair loss. once your hair fall has stopped you can try bringing hair from the sides to the front, and remember not on the crown. the hair at the crown should be puffed do not use gel.
  • 02-09-2012 04:58 AM
    chrisis
    I'm 2-3 on the NW scale, so I don't have any problems with my crown - it's as thick and full as ever.

I appreciate the advice, but I think each individual case is different. My style matters hugely to me, due to having a pretty social lifestyle and my image being quite important. I need to tackle my hairloss while maintaining a good hair cut if possible.
  • 02-09-2012 07:47 AM
    clandestine
    Finasteride, minoxidil and nizoral (i.e. the big 3) are literally your own option if you wish to halt, regrow any hair.

Problem is, treatments must be used continually (indefinitely). Apart from cost issues, finasteride has the potential for serious sexual sides.

Do research, be educated in your decisions, whatever route you choose to take.

Regarding haircuts, I find shorter on the sides works better as well. Despite this, I'm still unable to mask my (more noticeable than ever) hair loss. Good luck.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Benefits of Resveratrol for hair and health
05-05-2022 01:46 AM
Last Post By felixten
Yesterday 11:59 PM
1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
03-27-2024 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
03-27-2024 08:38 AM