• 12-05-2018 02:31 PM
    Corbinite
    Has anyone used leg and thigh hair as a viable donor source?
    I have a lot of thick leg/thigh hairs. I feel like they could be used by the right surgeon to add density. Is there anyone here who has done this? Any reason why this might not work?

One common objection I've heard is that the telogen/anagen phases of the leg hair are a lot different from scalp and beard...but what I don't get is why this is a problem.
  • 12-06-2018 05:06 PM
    sifu
    Yes. There are a few major issues with this.

First, donor hair will retain it's characteristics. Usually, these hair's aren't the same texture as what's on your head. They don't provide great coverage or volume. Further, the hair's growth phase is substantially slower than the hair on your head. Try shaving your leg and see how long it takes to grow.

Also, FUE leaves scars. While mostly negligible on the back of your head, They are significant and noticeable elsewhere. Picture chickenpox. With good genetics and meticulous scar care they can fade over months.

It's been done, but is a very last and not very good resort.
  • 12-06-2018 05:16 PM
    Corbinite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sifu View Post
    Yes. There are a few major issues with this.

First, donor hair will retain it's characteristics. Usually, these hair's aren't the same texture as what's on your head. They don't provide great coverage or volume. Further, the hair's growth phase is substantially slower than the hair on your head. Try shaving your leg and see how long it takes to grow.

Also, FUE leaves scars. While mostly negligible on the back of your head, They are significant and noticeable elsewhere. Picture chickenpox. With good genetics and meticulous scar care they can fade over months.

It's been done, but is a very last and not very good resort.

I see...hmm. I'm actually going to try an shave my legs to see how the growth is. I'm actually considering just using it to repair certain areas of my donor (back and maybe side). I'm not interested in using it on the top. I might want to ask Dr Bisanga about this next time I see him.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant
02-26-2009 02:36 PM
Last Post By SarahCarter
Yesterday 04:24 PM
Scar Grafting with Dr Cole
06-21-2012 02:00 PM
Last Post By northeastguy
Yesterday 10:14 AM