Is there honestly anything other than the big 3 worth looking into?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goblue
    • Nov 2017

Is there honestly anything other than the big 3 worth looking into?

Hi All,

I'm a mid-twenties male with MPB and I have a simple question aimed at those with significant experience in these forums (someone like Desmond): Is there anything worth looking at besides the big 3 (minox, propecia, niz)?

I currently take rogaine and niz, and am likely starting propecia soon. Just a casual look throughout all of the forums, however, leaves one inundated with other options, including: topical propecia, s5 cream, RU, revivogen, bespoke, stronger minox (15%), and others.

I know that there are a ton of forums covering this, and trust me, I've looked through them. But doing so has honestly left me with more questions than answers. I view most vitamin and natural cures as snake oil. but some of the medications listed above seem promising (especially topical propecia, which my derm prescribed).

So in short: Is there anything else worth taking a strong look at? I'm hoping to definitively get an answer from those who have clearly demonstrated their experience in this area through this forum (which, I consider to be the definitive place for honest talk regarding balding meds). Apologies if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it, and I think storing this answer in one place could be really helpful for those looking for an answer.
  • pajason
    • Apr 2016

Originally posted by goblue
    Hi All,

I'm a mid-twenties male with MPB and I have a simple question aimed at those with significant experience in these forums (someone like Desmond): Is there anything worth looking at besides the big 3 (minox, propecia, niz)?

I currently take rogaine and niz, and am likely starting propecia soon. Just a casual look throughout all of the forums, however, leaves one inundated with other options, including: topical propecia, s5 cream, RU, revivogen, bespoke, stronger minox (15%), and others.

I know that there are a ton of forums covering this, and trust me, I've looked through them. But doing so has honestly left me with more questions than answers. I view most vitamin and natural cures as snake oil. but some of the medications listed above seem promising (especially topical propecia, which my derm prescribed).

So in short: Is there anything else worth taking a strong look at? I'm hoping to definitively get an answer from those who have clearly demonstrated their experience in this area through this forum (which, I consider to be the definitive place for honest talk regarding balding meds). Apologies if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it, and I think storing this answer in one place could be really helpful for those looking for an answer.
    There is nothing else that has been significantly tested and approved by the fda. Dutasteride for example works better than anything else but its not approved. 15% minox will work better than %5 as minoxidil is dose dependent. Laser cap and prp+acell seem to work but are expensive enough I wouldn't spend my money on them for the results shown at least not yet.

Comment

• goblue
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by pajason
      There is nothing else that has been significantly tested and approved by the fda. Dutasteride for example works better than anything else but its not approved. 15% minox will work better than %5 as minoxidil is dose dependent. Laser cap and prp+acell seem to work but are expensive enough I wouldn't spend my money on them for the results shown at least not yet.
      Interesting. Of course nothing replaces the Big 3. But it does seem like people report success with other medications in a fairly consistent manner. This includes: 15% minox and Regenepure DR.

I'm not trying to claim a shampoo represents a sustainable hair loss treatment method. But is there, at the very least, a "Soft 3" of sorts, consisting of slightly helpful medications/treatments that, although not as strong as the Big 3, are not complete wastes of money?

Comment

• JohnMPB
        • Nov 2009

Imo big 3 should be the foundation. Anything else is icing on the cake. Remember fighting hair loss is a marathon, not a sprint. If u care about ur hair you'll likely spend years trying to fight it. Imagine applying 8 different topicals everyday for 10 or 20 years. If u really need regrowth, I'd experiment with things slowly by adding to the big 3.

Comment

• TobyJay
          • Oct 2016

The big 3 didn't do much for me (2-3 years) until I added in dut. which has stopped the loss and given me some regrowth.

Comment

• coolhairgone
            • Feb 2016

heard lot of good thing about derma roller. it is said to be the big 4.

Comment

• Louish
              • Aug 2015

Big 3 is a lie, only fina/dura actually work...At a cost. Can't comment on derma roller, it might work. LLLT Doesn't work. PRP makes things worse.

Comment

• Vantage
                • Dec 2017

With 4 studies backing up LLLT now I'd say it's worth looking into.

Comment

• BaldingHelpMe
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by TobyJay
                  The big 3 didn't do much for me (2-3 years) until I added in dut. which has stopped the loss and given me some regrowth.
                  When you say added dut, do you mean taking both fin and dut? Or switching fin to dut instead?

Comment

• Louish
                    • Aug 2015

Everyone who tried LLLT knows it does norhing. Myself an many friends that of mine included.

Comment

• Vantage
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Louish
                      Everyone who tried LLLT knows it does norhing. Myself an many friends that of mine included.
                      Did you try it long enough? I think at least 6 months is necessary.

Going by 4 published scientific studies and hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon I think it must be doing something. The iRestore is on a 4.0 out of 5.0 rating now. Sure some reviews can be fake, but not 300 positive reviews.

I have only tried it for about 3 months now, in my subjective experience it's doing something. I need more time though to truly evaluate the results and my pictures.

Comment

• Louish
                        • Aug 2015

I did, send me the studies and I’ll tell you if they make sense, Or just send me the details I have acces to all published studies not availaible to the public for free.

Comment

• Vantage
                          • Dec 2017

I did, send me the studies and I’ll tell you if they make sense, Or just send me the details I have acces to all published studies not availaible to the public for free.
                          The Growth of Human Scalp Hair Mediated by Visible Red Light Laser and LED Sources in Males

The growth of human scalp hair in females using visible red light laser and LED sources

Low-Level Laser (Light) Therapy (LLLT) for treatment of hair loss

iRestore study, not published (yet?).
                          40 men and women who suffered from genetic hair loss and thinning hair were selected to be a part of the 16-week study for the iRESTORE Hair Growth System.

The effectiveness of treatments for androgenetic alopecia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
                          This meta-analysis strongly suggests that minoxidil, finasteride, and low-level laser light therapy are effective for promoting hair growth in men with androgenetic alopecia and that minoxidil is effective in women with androgenetic alopecia.

Comment

• Louish
                            • Aug 2015

Lanzafame_et_al-2013-Lasers_in_Surgery_and_Medicine.compressed.pdf
                            Here you have the first one in complete not just the preview you could only access. Plz use only for private use as this a copyright owned document.

One of the few perks of being an academic scientist is we have access to everything published.

Comment

• Vantage
                              • Dec 2017

[ATTACH]55223[/ATTACH]
                              Here you have the first one in complete not just the preview you could only access. Plz use only for private us as this a copyright owned document.

One of the few perks of being an academic scientist is we have access to everything published.
                              Thanks for the offer but I also have access to all of them, thanks to our Russian friends (sci-hub).

Comment

Working...