• 12-19-2012 12:09 AM
    tdo
    Conflicting analysis from two hair transplant surgeons
    Hi Guys,

I am back :(.

About a month ago I started this thread http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10221 and I concluded that I was not balding. Now I am not so sure.

I had booked an appointed with an IAHRS surgeon back home, but he could not see me during my Thanksgiving break. As a result, I booked an appointed with another hair transplant surgeon, however, he is not an IAHRS surgeon. He did a pretty thorough job asking me about my family history and did a miniaturization test throughout my scalp with a scope. He concluded I did not have any miniaturization.

Today, I went back home and remembered I had an appointment. I figured it was too late to cancel and I didnt want to be rude, so I went ahead and met with the IAHRS surgeon. I explained to him my situation and he proceeded to look at my hair, combing it back and forth. After looking at my crown, he said I slight thinning and miniaturization near my cowlick. I was a little baffled. I really didnt know what to say as I was totally surprised. Is it possible to spot miniaturization without a scope?

I am really torn as to what to do as an IAHRS surgeon's credentials speak for itself....

Here is a pic of what he saw with my hair combed forward. From this view, it does look like I may be thinning on my crown...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ps76605120.jpg
  • 12-19-2012 06:12 AM
    sp8rky
    I would still say you are not thinning.
  • 12-19-2012 08:46 AM
    mattj
    It looks like you might have some thinning at the crown, but when it's only very minimal it can be hard to say with 100% certainty by only looking at photos.

Yes, miniaturization can be seen with the naked eye.
  • 12-19-2012 08:56 AM
    tdo
    Thanks Matt!

I am conflicted however.

One surgeon ran a scope in the exact area and said I did not have any miniaturization there while another said I did.

Who should I go with? It may not really matter as I dont know if I would even elect to go on Fin, but it would be nice to know definitively one way or another.
  • 12-19-2012 09:10 AM
    mattj
    That's a tough question because I don't know which doctor is mistaken. I would expect that a doctor using magnification would be able to give a definitive answer, but the other doctor is unlikely to say that you have miniaturization if you don't. But put it this way: as it looks like you have slight thinning it wouldn't surprise me if you had miniaturization.

I suggest just monitoring the area and every month or so take photos in the same location with the same light.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

purchase requisition in business central
12-19-2023 05:38 AM
Last Post By David9232
Today 11:39 AM
Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant
02-26-2009 02:36 PM
Last Post By gisecit34
Today 10:12 AM