• 08-31-2011 08:30 PM
    Mr. 4000
    Dr. Alexander:My nightmare experience
    Many on this board have read my posts concerning my HT experience with Dr. Alexander from Phx, Arizona.

I want to document my entire story in hopes to educate those that are considering the HT path.

Help those individuals that think they did their research like I thought I did, to find that doctor you are going to hope does great cosmetic work, and certainly would never put your health at risk.

I researched for over a year, called offices and visited local doctors, but ended up relying on the internet to find a doc that could not only meet my expectation cosmetically but protect my privacy along the way. Both were very important concerns as they are for most.

I will add a post from time to time to continue my story feel free to ask questions, critique, and as always Dr. Alexander you are encouraged to stop by and post your side of my story at anytime.
  • 08-31-2011 08:57 PM
    KeepTheHair
    THis the first time your posting his name?
  • 09-01-2011 05:59 AM
    Follicle Death Row
    Very sorry to hear about your bad experience. I wish you all the very best with resolving the situation as best as possible. The thought of a bad FUT terrifies me. I really hope Aderans, Histogen and Replicel can get something out to help you and others sometime around 2014 or shortly after.

I have heard of a doctor from Egypt who has treated young children with alpoecia areata and other hair disorders by taking bone marrow stem cells and injecting them into the scalp. I wish they could at least try this for repair patients who do not wish to undergo another FUT. They believe it may work for MPB sufferers as it is thought to revive the progenitor cells which Kostarelis (apologies if the the spelling is wrong) has shown are still there.

I think a great deal good be learned from trying this and many repair patients would have nothing to lose. It would either work and improve their situation or they would be in the same place as before.

Again I wish you all the very best.
  • 09-01-2011 04:10 PM
    Mr. 4000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    THis the first time your posting his name?

directly? yes, I have posted his name in my last couple post on other topics

oh and thanks FDR for that information and the kind words
  • 09-01-2011 07:14 PM
    DAVE52
    I am interested to read your story and see how long this post will remain up ;)
  • 09-01-2011 08:26 PM
    DepressedByHairLoss
    Follicle Death Row, I heard about the lady in Egypt (Marwa Fawzi) successfully treating various forms of alopecia in children but I didn't know that it was with bone marrow stem cells. That is really encouraging that these bone marrow stem cells were used. I've heard talk about bone marrow stem cells being used to stimulate hair growth. I've talked about this before and I really wish some one would try this. Sometimes I think these doctors get way too stuck with these stupid hair transplants. I also agree with you that I'm terrified of FUT, that's I could never get one; I know I'd regret it. Even FUE causes scarring. I don't think using bone marrow stem cells would cause any head scarring so that's why I'm intrigued.
    Mr. 4000, that's really good of you to post what you're posting right now. I wish you the best as well. I really think that a lot more goes wrong with hair transplants than we are led to believe and I've read all of these stories (some on here) of hair transplants gone wrong. That's why I'm interested in all of these new therapies, and why most people don't opt for hair transplants in the first place.
  • 09-01-2011 09:58 PM
    HelpROGER
    You know I’m on your side man, I’ve been following your situation and posted on the other thread, but I have seen some really impressive hair transplants and think people have good hair transplants from good doctors every day, and in all fairness Dr. Alexander seems to be one of the better doctors out there. I don’t know exactly what happened in your case, but I think it’s fair to say that complications can occur with anything, even botox injections. For me, I’m willing to take a calculated risk when the time is right. I cancelled my surgery with MHR because I found this forum and when I am ready and actually have the funds it will take to complete the job I will be going for it. I personally don’t think it’s fair to people who can benefit from a hair translant to try to turn them off of it because of one isolated experience. That’s just my opinion, nothing personal and I do feel for you, don't get me wrong.
  • 09-02-2011 03:36 AM
    Follicle Death Row
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    Follicle Death Row, I heard about the lady in Egypt (Marwa Fawzi) successfully treating various forms of alopecia in children but I didn't know that it was with bone marrow stem cells. That is really encouraging that these bone marrow stem cells were used. I've heard talk about bone marrow stem cells being used to stimulate hair growth. I've talked about this before and I really wish some one would try this. Sometimes I think these doctors get way too stuck with these stupid hair transplants. I also agree with you that I'm terrified of FUT, that's I could never get one; I know I'd regret it. Even FUE causes scarring. I don't think using bone marrow stem cells would cause any head scarring so that's why I'm intrigued.
    Mr. 4000, that's really good of you to post what you're posting right now. I wish you the best as well. I really think that a lot more goes wrong with hair transplants than we are led to believe and I've read all of these stories (some on here) of hair transplants gone wrong. That's why I'm interested in all of these new therapies, and why most people don't opt for hair transplants in the first place.

I was wrong about the bone marrow stem cells. I think I read that in another post somewhere. A quick google shows that what Dr. Fawzai does is in fact akin to what Aderans and Replicel are looking into.

http://www.stem-cells-news.com/1/tag...r-marwa-fawzi/

Stem cells are multiplied and cultured from a tiny piece of your own scalp. Sounds exactly like what Aderans and Replicel are doing except Dr. Fawzai has already done it in children with alopecia areata with success. Very interesting. I'd love to see this done on a repair patient pro bono. If nothing else Mr. 4000 you should look into this.
  • 09-03-2011 09:04 AM
    Mr. 4000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HelpROGER View Post
    You know I’m on your side man, I’ve been following your situation and posted on the other thread, but I have seen some really impressive hair transplants and think people have good hair transplants from good doctors every day, and in all fairness Dr. Alexander seems to be one of the better doctors out there. I don’t know exactly what happened in your case, but I think it’s fair to say that complications can occur with anything, even botox injections. For me, I’m willing to take a calculated risk when the time is right. I cancelled my surgery with MHR because I found this forum and when I am ready and actually have the funds it will take to complete the job I will be going for it. I personally don’t think it’s fair to people who can benefit from a hair translant to try to turn them off of it because of one isolated experience. That’s just my opinion, nothing personal and I do feel for you, don't get me wrong.

certainly won't be my intentions but think people will learn a lot from my story, and you certainly shouldn't go by what you are seeing on the internet, it is a marketing tool for Doctors and reps.
  • 09-03-2011 04:49 PM
    Follicle Death Row
    I think it's very important that people that have had sub par work let us know. I'm pretty sure every clinic's photo gallery doesn't provide an entirely fair representation of the standard of their work. You'd expect that they might be putting up only their above average results. They can definitely be misleading.

It's essential that this forum allows people to see and hear from satisfied and dissatisfied patients alike in order to form a true opinion on what's right for them.
  • 09-03-2011 06:22 PM
    Mr. 4000
    my early communication with Dr. Alexander was done through a rep named Nicole Johnson. She was a nice on the surface but lied on many occasions. My first impression was that she was not trying to sell my anything but was really promoting something she believed in. SHe was very easy to get in contact with, almost too easy. She responded immediately by email by phone. I had no problem with it at all, I though it was very professional.

In hindsight she told me many lies and maybe more lies then I think to this day. The biggest without a doubt was the promotion of Dr. ALexander being able to to do sessions that would require 4000 graft or better.

Dr. Alexander was quoted almost complaining at the end of my surgery saying that he can't believe that doctors would work this late into the evening on a daily basis. I felt like a burden when I left his office as they wrapped up the paper work at about 6 -6:30 ish.

Another lie which was a deal breaker was that she told me that Dr. ALexander didn't have to shave your head to do a HT. I turned down some great doctors that said they shaved. He stayed on my list because of the lie that Nicole Johnson stated.

Here are a couple emails from her to me:

[I]I will cover more with you tomorrow. in the meantime, I am holding the 22nd, with no obligation.

I would like to go in more detail of our procedure, and why it is truly superior over most. We can absolutely perform a 4000 graft procedure.

I will be in touch tomorrow morning.

Best regards,

Nicole

Nicole Johnson
    Patient Coordinator
    4444 North 32nd Street, Suite 230
    Phoenix, AZ 85018
    602-956-8800
    (personal cell phone # removed)

This is the classic pressure the client into a decision email looking back....

Dr. Alexander has another patient that would like July 22nd. I told him that you were definitely confirmed for the date, but I do need your deposit today. You are welcome to call or email me with the information. I can be reached at my home office number, which is (personal cell # removed). Sorry about the urgency of needing your deposit, but it is just office policy.I told Dr. Alexander that I was going to get it to him no later than 5:00.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Nicole

When I read through the 10 plus emails I saved and probably another 5-6 I deleted along the way it makes me a little ill. She claimed her husband had a HT done which could be true, and she also claimed her father was an HT doctor and that is how she got into the industry. I never met this person to this day.
  • 09-04-2011 01:40 PM
    DepressedByHairLoss
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    I was wrong about the bone marrow stem cells. I think I read that in another post somewhere. A quick google shows that what Dr. Fawzai does is in fact akin to what Aderans and Replicel are looking into.

http://www.stem-cells-news.com/1/tag...r-marwa-fawzi/

Stem cells are multiplied and cultured from a tiny piece of your own scalp. Sounds exactly like what Aderans and Replicel are doing except Dr. Fawzai has already done it in children with alopecia areata with success. Very interesting. I'd love to see this done on a repair patient pro bono. If nothing else Mr. 4000 you should look into this.

It is interesting that Dr. Fawzi's treatment worked with remarkable results while as far as I know, Aderans's treatment really hasn't worked well at all. I wish Aderans would try and tap into the process that she's doing. Also, I wish that Ms. Fawzi's treatment would be available abroad. It's already done wonders for others (with no complications) and I think many people such as myself would jump at the chance to try it.
  • 09-04-2011 08:41 PM
    Mr. 4000
    I spoke with dr. alexander on one occasion for a phone consultation. It was a very uncomfortable phone conversation because in the back of my mind I was contemplating this whole idea or at least questioning myself on what I was getting myself into.

He quoted me in the range of 3000-3500 graft which was actually good news because if he could do a 4000 graft session I should be in good hands. I was told by Nicole Johnson and Dr. Alexander both, that 4000 was possible. One pass was a priority because no matter what anyone tells you recovery from a HT takes forever.

I wanted to book with Dr. Wong, he was my top guy but he was booked and couldn't do unshaved (or wouldn't). Going to Canada was also a huge negative for me with all the security in airports at the time. I spoke with Mike from his office. I remember one thing Mike told me. He felt there is only one doctor in the States that has decent results by his standards and that was Ron Shapiro, he said the rest were not any good and were novice.

This worried me because this guy worked with the best and Shapiro wasn't able to do unshaved at that time. He certainly didn't kno of Dr. ALexander.

Dr. Alexander was pretty dry as far as personality but I didn't care about that, I cared about finding a doctor that could do a one pass, unshaved procedure and was extremely good. That was top priority in my search.

He not the type that would educate the patient on the process at all. I spoke with Matt from Shapiro and he spoke with me for 45 minutes telling me about Dr. Ron's philosophy and how he goes about getting the best look for his patients short and long term. Very nice person and really informative about there practice.

You don't get that from Dr. Alexander. He quoted me the graft count and simply asked if I had any questions and thats it. I just started asking questions because I wanted to get to know him a little better before I got off the phone. So I asked some generic questions.

One question I asked was the experience of his employees and it seems like the industry standard is tell the patient 4 years or more. Well that is exactly what he told me. That is exactly what Nicole Johnson emailed me.

I read every piece of information I possible could on every website I could find. I searched google countless times using different combinations to find any negative information on Dr. Alexander and the rest of the doctors I had in mind. There was nothing negative that I could find but there wasn't a ton of information out there on him either

The people that were hyping Dr. Alexander were on this forum and a couple other forums that I would read, which was a a reason I even found him in the first place.

After a lot of doubt I booked with him. I booked because he met my requirements at the time. A choice that I regret to this day. My HT was in 2009.

This was part of an email from Nicole johnson back in July of 2009:

Dr. Alexander does perform as much as 4000 or more grafts in a single session. Most of our cases average about 2500-3000 grafts. Do keep i n mind that some surgeons that are transplanting in the 4000+ range are splitting hairs. There =2 0is no reason that a surgeon should do this, as you end up with the same hair count, and save the patient money.

I cannot find ONE case where Dr. Alexander ever achieved a session of over 3400 grafts. If you can please let me know. So they both lied to me about that information, but this would be a nice payday for them regardless of the truth.

Next I will get into the actual HT procedure......
  • 09-04-2011 09:57 PM
    Delphi
    No offence, but why don’t you just write the whole story and post it? What’s with all the drama? You had a bad experience with your doctor, let everyone know about it and be done with it. I understand that you’re upset and I’m glad that we all now know, thanks to that douche from the hair transplant network who your doctor is, but what’s the point in dragging this thing out? Just post the facts. Telling us this person is a liar or that person did such and such is just hearsay. Tell us what happened to you and how you know it was the doctors fault. I don’t mean to be harsh but the way you are going about this is weird.
  • 09-05-2011 05:56 AM
    Mr. 4000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    No offence, but why don’t you just write the whole story and post it? What’s with all the drama? You had a bad experience with your doctor, let everyone know about it and be done with it. I understand that you’re upset and I’m glad that we all now know, thanks to that douche from the hair transplant network who your doctor is, but what’s the point in dragging this thing out? Just post the facts. Telling us this person is a liar or that person did such and such is just hearsay. Tell us what happened to you and how you know it was the doctors fault. I don’t mean to be harsh but the way you are going about this is weird.

First I hope that I am giving you evidence through posting the emails in these posts so that it is not hearsay. I will post information from my doctor and lawyer information as well. That is kinda the point.

This story is to educated, not on just went on in the chair, but the entire process.

I rather post it in smaller increments instead of just one long post, this allows me to tell all the details. I don't have time to tell this story in one sitting.

There are too many facts and I want those that are considering this invasive procedure to know exactly want they are getting themselves into.

I have spoken to tons of patients and consultants through email and it is amazing how in many cases they have felt the same way as I did.
  • 09-05-2011 09:58 AM
    DAVE52
    I feel bad that you did not get the results you had hoped for
    And I understand how vulnerable we are as we start losing our hair and sometimes we are not thinkg rationally
    Seems from your story that you may have had several red flags but because you thought the HT would work out you still went through with it .
    I hope whatever you do goign forward works out
    So far this story is good example for others .
    If there are any doubts , postpone
  • 09-05-2011 03:12 PM
    Mr. 4000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    I feel bad that you did not get the results you had hoped for
    And I understand how vulnerable we are as we start losing our hair and sometimes we are not thinkg rationally
    Seems from your story that you may have had several red flags but because you thought the HT would work out you still went through with it .
    I hope whatever you do goign forward works out
    So far this story is good example for others .
    If there are any doubts , postpone

it is amazing, when you make up your mind you don't even see the red flags or you ignore them. Some I ignored and others I didn't see. I didn't want to turn back. It took a lot to line up for me to make a decision like this, turning back at that time would have meant I would have never scheduled a HT.

More red flags to come...
  • 09-05-2011 06:40 PM
    Mr. 4000
    I finally got to Pheonix with many bumps in the road, I had a plane go down and my flight was canceled, I was in the airport for 8 hours before they pulled the flight and I had to drive home, this was for a July 22nd date. I was on the phone with Dr. alexander from the airport telling him the situation and that I wouldn't be able to make it. This was a sign without a doubt not to go through with this, I drove home and thought about it and rescheduled, the day of my second flight it rained like hell I drove to the airport in a downpour, another sign not to go out there. just some added drama to add to everything else.

anyway, I finally made out there and thought that I would meet the sales rep or someone to start going over some of the details of the surgery, when I asked I was told that they don't do that just show up at 7am at the office to prep. This was a another thing I really didn't understand based on what other doctors do. I am coming from across the country and they don't even want to plan anything?

I wake up from my hotel and taxi to the office in the morning. Right on time and there is only one person in the office at that time. I was saying to myself what the blank is going on here. I am spending a ton of money flew across the country and the doctor wants me to be here so we can get started right away and he strolls in 25 minutes late, walks right passed me and barely says hello or greets me as he walks in a very small office lobby. I should have walked out at that moment. What am I dealing with here?

I signed a waiver while waiting for him to show up, that includes all the warning signs that would protect a doctor from any liability like every company in the US does. They can screw up and you have no rights. It included nerve damage, results varying, scarring, the usual. It did not protect him from personal injury.

Soooo, now I get called back to meet Dr. ALexander for the first time in his office in the back of the place. We are running 35 minutes late at this point. It was awkward to say the least. I don't know if he was embarrassed for being late or just didn't even know who was scheduled. He asked me, ok what are we doing for you today. I was thinking, Dr. Alexander do you even know my name, or look at the pictures I sent for the consultation? Is this a barber shop? am I really on your schedule? do you have a schedule?

I broke many important surgery rules. I was told NEVER schedule anything on a monday, doctors are human and party and travel on the weekends and sometimes come in unprepared on Mondays, this was true of this Monday. This advise was given to me by a wife of a doctor. Dr. Alexander had no clue who I was or even planned for my procedure, it was obvious.

I had to remind him of everything we discussed and he started to draw the lines for the hairline and the crown. We had a subtle disagreement on the placement of the hairline especially on the left side. and after a compromise we finally agreed to lower the hairline and fill in the crown.

Ok, crown was the top priority and anything left was going into the hairline to lower it. Hairline was not a priority, I was fine with my hairline even though it was receding a little.

Finally I started to become a little relaxed because with all the BS to this point behind me, I was really looking past it all realizing that the result is all that matters and I was hoping looking at the pre-op lines that things may turnout for the best in the end.

next will be the trip to the room next door for the procedure......
  • 09-05-2011 06:47 PM
    Mr. 4000
    Dr. Alexander feel free to join in at anytime, I have nothing to hide.

I didn't take the deal you offered me so I could tell this story, I refuse to be bought, and the money you offered me and the gag order drafted by your lawyer was not going to fix anything for me. Thats why I left it on the table. That money didn't mean a damn thing to me. Money isn't going to fix my neck or scalp.

Hats off to you for getting my blog kicked off that fraud site, Taking the Plunge really likes you. I don't know why after you screwed up his first procedure. You are lucky he took your deal and it worked out for you that he started working for that site. Good move Doc.

I wonder how many people you buy off to silence the patients you screw up.

I didn't sign the papers and I didn't take the money like you thought I would.

I will type that agreement in this thread as well, in the end.
  • 09-06-2011 06:00 AM
    topcat
    Mr. 4000 it’s amazing how even when the red flags are staring us right in the face we tend to rationalize in our own mind and dismiss them. Tell your story the way you want to tell it and don’t be dissuaded by others that feel the need to comment on your style. They can simply pass on reading your thread if it’s such a big deal for them. But the fact that they don’t pass up your thread but feel the need to make a negative comment on the style is a red flag that forum readers need to pay attention to when reading posts.
  • 09-06-2011 09:56 AM
    Havok
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    Mr. 4000 it’s amazing how even when the red flags are staring us right in the face we tend to rationalize in our own mind and dismiss them. Tell your story the way you want to tell it and don’t be dissuaded by others that feel the need to comment on your style. They can simply pass on reading your thread if it’s such a big deal for them. But the fact that they don’t pass up your thread but feel the need to make a negative comment on the style is a red flag that forum readers need to pay attention to when reading posts.

agree 100%. this is permanent scar that you have to live with for the rest of your life and no amount of money can undo whatever damage resulted from HT procedure so this is BIG DEAL. tell it like how it is in whatever method you feel it's necessary. why do we have to settle for anything less than perfect?? ESP when going under the knife? if anything we need more awareness of HT f*k ups.
  • 09-06-2011 10:30 AM
    Follicle Death Row
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    agree 100%. this is permanent scar that you have to live with for the rest of your life and no amount of money can undo whatever damage resulted from HT procedure so this is BIG DEAL. tell it like how it is in whatever method you feel it's necessary. why do we have to settle for anything less than perfect?? ESP when going under the knife? if anything we need more awareness of HT f*k ups.

Couldn't have said it better. My sentiments exactly. I really can't wait until there's a better alternative such as Replicel where people won't run out of hair and the whole process is minimally invasive.

It's good to see that your silence can't be bought.
  • 09-06-2011 02:54 PM
    Delphi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topcat View Post

Topcat, with all due respect I have the same right to post my thoughts as you or Mr. 4000. Red flag about what, me being honest? I think Mr. 4000 has dragged this out long enough, I just want to get to the meat of his story, what’s wrong with saying that? If I didn’t think his story had merit, I wouldn't comment on it at all, but you seem to think that saying what’s on my mind is some sort of a red flag. I still don't understand what the red flag could be, but man are you paranoid!
  • 09-06-2011 03:10 PM
    Ahairdown
    Thread is useless without pics. All hearsay.
  • 09-06-2011 04:44 PM
    Delphi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahairdown View Post

I'm glad I didn't bring this up. Topcat might see it as another red flag:)

But seriously, you're right Ahairdown, pics would help.
  • 09-06-2011 11:40 PM
    VictimOfDHT
    Quote:

This isn't about pics. A lot of guys here don't post pics, but that doesn't make them liars.
    Say something good or shut the hell up. No one's forcing you to read or believe anything.
  • 09-06-2011 11:47 PM
    VictimOfDHT
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    It is interesting that Dr. Fawzi's treatment worked with remarkable results while as far as I know, Aderans's treatment really hasn't worked well at all. I wish Aderans would try and tap into the process that she's doing. Also, I wish that Ms. Fawzi's treatment would be available abroad. It's already done wonders for others (with no complications) and I think many people such as myself would jump at the chance to try it.

That link doesn't take anywhere. If it's true that doctor is doing HM -of some kind- in Egypt I'll be there tomorrow. But is she doing it for kids only? I would go to Egypt to find out.
  • 09-07-2011 03:34 AM
    ejj
    its hard to remember all the details and put it all in writing all at once , I can understand that all too well , probably is best to break it down and post as , before , during, and after like you have done , it makes it easier to get it all down accuratly which is important to all ,
    I would assume the pictures would be coming later in the `after` segment ,along with what I think your refering to as a ` General Release` ( gag order ) interesting that people know about this side of the industry ... anyway I wish you all the best on getting sorted

all the best
    ejj
  • 09-07-2011 09:04 AM
    Follicle Death Row
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    That link doesn't take anywhere. If it's true that doctor is doing HM -of some kind- in Egypt I'll be there tomorrow. But is she doing it for kids only? I would go to Egypt to find out.

She's only done it on kids as far as I'm aware. I don't know anymore than that. Seems crazy that such a procedure was done in 2009 I think and the companies are still working away on it.
  • 09-07-2011 06:58 PM
    DepressedByHairLoss
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post

I just clicked on the link and it worked for me. If it doesn't work for you, go to google and search for 'marwa fawzi stem-cell-news'. And scroll down a bit, for some reason, there is blank space at the beginning of the page. Yeah, apparently her procedure really worked on children, regrowing almost a full head of hair in some of them. This article was from 2009 and it stated that she would be trying this procedure in male pattern baldness. Yeah, I'd be over there in a second too. Well, at least it's a breath of fresh air to see some one working to benefit humans, rather than a scientist explaining why mice and rabbits need frequent hair regeneration to survive in the wild.
  • 09-08-2011 08:52 PM
    alan7777
    Mr. 4000, I just want to say thank you that you take the time to write down your story. I really appreciate your effort trying to warn people about the ugly side of the HT industry. As I am planning for my first HT and anticipating how things may turn out, reading your story I can feel the loneliness, desperation amd helplessness that you may had felt during the whole ordeal. I feel really sorry that things had turned out so badly for you.

Delphi, you have your right to say whatever you want. But I hope you know that you have contribute nothing to the discussion so far, and your comment is totally unproductive. So I suggest that, for your own good, you don't need to waste any more of your time (and our time reading any more of your posts).

Thank you.
  • 09-08-2011 09:08 PM
    Delphi
    I’ll be sure to take that under advisement alan7777. Welcome to the forum, I see that you're a newbie. I think in time you'll better understand why I chose to post in this thread and take the stance that I have.
  • 09-09-2011 02:27 PM
    macdaddyg
    Never mind.
    Whoops wrong guy - sorry
  • 09-10-2011 07:07 AM
    Ahairdown
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. 4000 View Post
    I spoke with dr. alexander on one occasion for a phone consultation. It was a very uncomfortable phone conversation because in the back of my mind I was contemplating this whole idea or at least questioning myself on what I was getting myself into.

He quoted me in the range of 3000-3500 graft which was actually good news because if he could do a 4000 graft session I should be in good hands. I was told by Nicole Johnson and Dr. Alexander both, that 4000 was possible. One pass was a priority because no matter what anyone tells you recovery from a HT takes forever.

I wanted to book with Dr. Wong, he was my top guy but he was booked and couldn't do unshaved (or wouldn't). Going to Canada was also a huge negative for me with all the security in airports at the time. I spoke with Mike from his office. I remember one thing Mike told me. He felt there is only one doctor in the States that has decent results by his standards and that was Ron Shapiro, he said the rest were not any good and were novice.

This worried me because this guy worked with the best and Shapiro wasn't able to do unshaved at that time. He certainly didn't kno of Dr. ALexander.

Dr. Alexander was pretty dry as far as personality but I didn't care about that, I cared about finding a doctor that could do a one pass, unshaved procedure and was extremely good. That was top priority in my search.

He not the type that would educate the patient on the process at all. I spoke with Matt from Shapiro and he spoke with me for 45 minutes telling me about Dr. Ron's philosophy and how he goes about getting the best look for his patients short and long term. Very nice person and really informative about there practice.

You don't get that from Dr. Alexander. He quoted me the graft count and simply asked if I had any questions and thats it. I just started asking questions because I wanted to get to know him a little better before I got off the phone. So I asked some generic questions.

One question I asked was the experience of his employees and it seems like the industry standard is tell the patient 4 years or more. Well that is exactly what he told me. That is exactly what Nicole Johnson emailed me.

I read every piece of information I possible could on every website I could find. I searched google countless times using different combinations to find any negative information on Dr. Alexander and the rest of the doctors I had in mind. There was nothing negative that I could find but there wasn't a ton of information out there on him either

The people that were hyping Dr. Alexander were on this forum and a couple other forums that I would read, which was a a reason I even found him in the first place.

After a lot of doubt I booked with him. I booked because he met my requirements at the time. A choice that I regret to this day. My HT was in 2009.

This was part of an email from Nicole johnson back in July of 2009:

Dr. Alexander does perform as much as 4000 or more grafts in a single session. Most of our cases average about 2500-3000 grafts. Do keep i n mind that some surgeons that are transplanting in the 4000+ range are splitting hairs. There =2 0is no reason that a surgeon should do this, as you end up with the same hair count, and save the patient money.

I cannot find ONE case where Dr. Alexander ever achieved a session of over 3400 grafts. If you can please let me know. So they both lied to me about that information, but this would be a nice payday for them regardless of the truth.

Next I will get into the actual HT procedure......

So let me get this straight, you were unhappy with him before the procedure and you still sat down in his chair?

I'd be pissed if I paid a lot of money and got hacked up, but why not just post up some before and after pics? You know... a picture is worth a 1000 words?

Let us see what's up, stop with all of this drama already - it's compromising your viewpoint and it's hard to take you seriously at this point.
  • 09-10-2011 09:43 AM
    Mr. 4000
    Quote:

So let me get this straight, you were unhappy with him before the procedure and you still sat down in his chair?

I'd be pissed if I paid a lot of money and got hacked up, but why not just post up some before and after pics? You know... a picture is worth a 1000 words?

Let us see what's up, stop with all of this drama already - it's compromising your viewpoint and it's hard to take you seriously at this point.

Im not really worried about your point of view. Im telling to entire process for others and if it doesn't help you don't read the thread, thats all.

Maybe this thread isn't for you
  • 09-11-2011 01:01 AM
    wylie
    I remember seeing Dr. Alexander's pictures online and really being impressed, I thought he did great hairlines (and maybe he does, I don't know) but I found myself in Phoenix and scheduled an appointment to meet with him a few years back. What a waste of time. For one thing, I was terribly unimpressed with the professionalism of his office personnel. I remember dealing with Nicole, and while she was okay online, in person she was not friendly at all. I was also unimpressed with his office and remember there being a really, really bad smell. I remember his actual consult office was in dire need of paint, all these little things were quickly adding up to make me feel like I shouldn't have even bothered.

And, being a repair patient, I shouldn't have. There was nothing Dr. Alexander could do even if he wanted to. The only reason I comment is that if I had of been seriously considering a procedure with him, I no longer would have after that one and only visit.

The way you are treated, the condition of the facility, all these things end up giving you a feel about the doctor, and the feeling I got wasn't good.

I cannot, however, comment on his ability, as I'm unfamiliar with it. His online pics. of patient results look great, but alot of vets know that can be deceiving.
  • 09-14-2011 01:45 AM
    DepressedByHairLoss
    I for one am totally interested in hearing the rest of your story. I think this happens way more often in hair transplantation than we are led to believe. And your doctor is praised like crazy on other hair loss forums so your posts really make it all the more interesting. From what I gather from other people's postings on here, it seems that other hair loss forums are in total cohoots with the hair transplant doctors.
  • 09-14-2011 08:23 AM
    Delphi
    I’m interested in the story too, I just wish he would get to it already and stop all the drama. I’d also like to see pictures and even hear the doctors side. Until we see the pics it’s just hearsay. And yes you would have to be blind not to see that the other site is a hair transplant sales site. They sell hair loss products and offer FREE online consultations. How does any half way smart person not see it’s a sham? Now come on Mr. 4000, show us the pics!
  • 09-17-2011 08:49 PM
    Follicle Death Row
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    I’m interested in the story too, I just wish he would get to it already and stop all the drama. I’d also like to see pictures and even hear the doctors side. Until we see the pics it’s just hearsay. And yes you would have to be blind not to see that the other site is a hair transplant sales site. They sell hair loss products and offer FREE online consultations. How does any half way smart person not see it’s a sham? Now come on Mr. 4000, show us the pics!

Give me a clue as to which site you're referring to. I had a look at one other site, the something network ;) and the place was an absolute joke. Propaganda and bs. Hair transplants are awesome guys and you should all get them seemed to be the message from that site. Disgusting.
  • 09-26-2011 07:53 PM
    Mr. 4000
    sorry for the delay, work and travel leaves little time and that is the main reason I could never write all of this in one sitting.

The HT experience

After we designed the hairline we talked about the amount of grafts. The crown was a no brainer that was the main concern from the start. I asked Dr. Alexander if he would have enough graft to add and lower the hairline and he said yes. SO I said lets do that as well, i never wanted to have to do this HT thing ever again.

We went the room next door. I sat down and tried to relax. I knew there was no turning back at this time. I sat down and the staff quickly start to prep me for this.

They started taping parts of my head and Dr. Alexander was examining my head for scalp tightness and thickness. He was telling me the different steps to the start of the surgery.

He says out loud that I am probably going to lose the rest of my hair on top for the first time while i'm taped up in the chair, not in consultation.

The first thing he does (which I wasn't aware he was doing) he started shaving my head.

I fly across the country looking for a doctor that does a NON SHAVE HT, and this clown shaves my head. Another lie. We just had a conversation 5 minutes ago in his office about NOT shaving my head. We spoke on the phone about this. We wrote in emails about this being a deal breaker.

Dr. Alexander doesn't listen to his patients and only cares about money.

I knew he had to shave the donor area, so on to the donor. He shoots me up with the local, and start cutting.

I am worried because I could feel the knife's pressure cutting but felt no pain.

I couldn't believe how low he was cutting, he was cutting below my skull in the soft tissue. I never thought an experienced surgeon would ever cut this low, so I never ask this very important question.

As he worked his way up the left side he was very close to my ear. I actually said something to him because I was shocked at the path he was taking. I never seen a patient or doctor recommend a cut this low in any blog or consultation.

The next step was where the official nightmare began. When he started to close the incision. He worked from left to right. The right side went very quickly. He worked his way down to the base of my skull and this is where things started to go wrong. He couldn't close the incision. He ran out of suture and the staff started to scramble for a different grade of suture.

Dr. Alexander was struggling to close his cut. I asked him what was taking so long? His response was he was just taking his time. I knew he was struggling because he almost cursed out loud. It was like he slipped with the knife. I heard him gasp and that is when I spoke up. It was not going smooth at all.

I only wish I turned on my tape recorder that I brought with me. I wanted to audio tape the procedure to have some protection because I flew out there alone and was preparing for the worst.

finally they were able to closed the incision which took way too long, was cut way too low and we could finally move to the punches for the grafts.

that will be next.............

Very poor preparation, poor skill, and poor communicator. I was very upset at this point, but was still hoping for the best.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads