• 06-19-2014 04:42 PM
    Bold Legacy
    Drug called Xeljanz and hairloss (Yale study)
    As a semibald guy, I scramble online every now and then looking for that light at the end of the tunnel. So I stumbled on this right now - sorry if it's been already posted.

Yale scientists successfully use arthritis drug to regrow completely bald man's hair

Yale scientists have successfully used an arthritis medication to fully regrow the head and body hair of a almost totally hairless 25-year-old man.

Researchers administered the drug tofacitinib citrate to the unnamed patient, who suffered from the autoimmune baldness disease alopecia universalis.
    Within eight months, the man had regrown scalp and facial hair he'd not had in seven years.

'The results are exactly what we hoped for,' said Brett A. King, M.D., senior author of the paper, published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 'This is a huge step forward in the treatment of patients with this condition.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mans-hair.html

Thoughts?
  • 06-19-2014 04:55 PM
    nameless
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bold Legacy View Post
    As a semibald guy, I scramble online every now and then looking for that light at the end of the tunnel. So I stumbled on this right now - sorry if it's been already posted.

Yale scientists successfully use arthritis drug to regrow completely bald man's hair

Yale scientists have successfully used an arthritis medication to fully regrow the head and body hair of a almost totally hairless 25-year-old man.

Researchers administered the drug tofacitinib citrate to the unnamed patient, who suffered from the autoimmune baldness disease alopecia universalis.
    Within eight months, the man had regrown scalp and facial hair he'd not had in seven years.

'The results are exactly what we hoped for,' said Brett A. King, M.D., senior author of the paper, published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 'This is a huge step forward in the treatment of patients with this condition.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mans-hair.html

Thoughts?

Alopecia universalis is a totally different condition from the condition that we have. We have androgenetic alopeica.
  • 06-19-2014 05:06 PM
    Scientalk56
    OH MY GOD

The question is what about male pattern baldness ?!?!?!?!?!
  • 06-19-2014 05:14 PM
    sdsurfin
    Very cool for people with alopecia totalis, if it's reproducible. unfortunately the two diseases are not very related I don't think. They are mediated by different pathways. Wouldn't get your hopes up. It might be helpful in treating the inflammatory aspect of androgenic alopecia, but don't expect it to have the same kind of results!
  • 06-19-2014 05:25 PM
    Haircure
    This drug was already available in the market for prescription, and it's main action is to reduce immune response which led to the patient regrowing his hair. Like sdsurfin said, this is unlikely to cure male pattern baldness and not to mention the side effects of this drug are much more prominent and more dangerous than any other hair loss drugs we have now.

FYI don't post links from news website sources like the "daily mail", they often post misleading articles where they cherry pick info from the actual studies. The daily mail almost literally posts a "new cure" for baldness every month, with anything ranging from lasers to prp, which we all know are not cures.
  • 06-19-2014 05:32 PM
    Swooping
    Totally different than androgenetic alopecia. As said this drug totally wrecks your immune system. People have literally died from that drug due to infections, developing cancer etc. Cyclosporin (also a immunosuppressant) works pretty good at regrowing hair in patients with alopecia universalis too.
  • 06-19-2014 06:07 PM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swooping View Post
    Totally different than androgenetic alopecia. As said this drug totally wrecks your immune system. People have literally died from that drug due to infections, developing cancer etc. Cyclosporin (also a immunosuppressant) works pretty good at regrowing hair in patients with alopecia universalis too.

How would it be administered? Orally or as a topical? It's molecular weight is less than finasteride, at roughly 300 dalton which makes it suitable as a topical.
  • 06-19-2014 06:34 PM
    huawei
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swooping View Post

Yeah, 1000x this. Though death is something very rare generally additional health management is needed. eg going to the doctor if you get a cough rather than just letting it subside.

But otherwise, this is great news for those who suffer alopecia universalis, however the only related thing between the two conditions would be really be the inflammation around the follicle but even then completely different pathways.

I honestly hope no one is dumb enough to try this on themselves...
  • 06-19-2014 06:58 PM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by huawei View Post
    I honestly hope no one is dumb enough to try this on themselves...

I hope someone does, lol.
  • 06-20-2014 12:46 AM
    downandout
    apparently the assistant professor of dermatology at Yale University School of Medicine submitted a clinical trial proposal for a cream form of Xeljanz as a treatment for alopecia areata.

http://www.rttnews.com/2339547/the-b....aspx?type=sat
  • 06-20-2014 02:11 AM
    clarence
    Quote:

Originally Posted by huawei View Post
    But otherwise, this is great news for those who suffer alopecia universalis

And female hair loss? Anyone?
  • 06-20-2014 03:37 AM
    Haircure
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clarence View Post
    And female hair loss? Anyone?

Nope, again the OP should have included all the details from the articles instead of picking certain parts. This is not a cure for male pattern baldness or female hair loss, this is a treatment for those with an autoimmune disease such as alopecia areata or alopecia totalis.
  • 06-20-2014 04:56 AM
    walrus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haircure View Post
    This is not a cure for male pattern baldness or female hair loss, this is a treatment for those with an autoimmune disease such as alopecia areata or alopecia totalis.

Don't forget that MPB also has links with the immune system (PDG2 and mast cells).
  • 06-20-2014 07:58 AM
    hellouser
    We won't know if it works for MPB unless someone tries it. Nobody still knows for sure how MPB occurs in detail. Might as well give it a shot.
  • 06-20-2014 08:24 AM
    walrus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    We won't know if it works for MPB unless someone tries it. Nobody still knows for sure how MPB occurs in detail. Might as well give it a shot.

Given the possible side effects with this drug, it is not the kind of substance people should be trying to obtain and apply themselves off-label. Better to wait for a properly designed and regulated study---if you value your health.
  • 06-20-2014 08:42 AM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Given the possible side effects with this drug, it is not the kind of substance people should be trying to obtain and apply themselves off-label. Better to wait for a properly designed and regulated study---if you value your health.

Noone has answered this:

How would it be administered? Topically? Orally? Injections?
  • 06-20-2014 09:16 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

This drug was already available in the market for prescription, and it's main action is to reduce immune response which led to the patient regrowing his hair. Like sdsurfin said, this is unlikely to cure male pattern baldness and not to mention the side effects of this drug are much more prominent and more dangerous than any other hair loss drugs we have now.

FYI don't post links from news website sources like the "daily mail", they often post misleading articles where they cherry pick info from the actual studies. The daily mail almost literally posts a "new cure" for baldness every month, with anything ranging from lasers to prp, which we all know are not cures.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to speak in person with an MD, PhD who heads scientific and regulatory affairs with a research organization based out of Washington DC. He knows George Cotsarelis, MD personally and mentioned that Dr. Cotsarelis is brilliant.

We talked about PRP, ACell, cell signaling and the immune system's involvement in androgenic alopecia. He believes that as hairs miniaturize, a person's immune system attacks the follicles. He sees the value of ACell in hair restoration surgery but has reservations regarding PRP. He believes it's important to zero in on specifically which platelet growth factors are beneficial to hair growth. He believes that treatments more effective than those currently available will counter PGD2 in miniaturizing hair follicles, nourish miniaturizing hairs with more specific platelet growth factors and address the immune system's involvement in "finishing off" those miniaturizing follicles.

You know that sometimes this type of hair loss reverses itself spontaneously without treatment. So yes, if this Yale regrowth isn't simply a coincidence, there could be some value there.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant 1070 Powers Place Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice. Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
  • 06-20-2014 01:03 PM
    Haircure
    Quote:

Noone has answered this:

How would it be administered? Topically? Orally? Injections?

Simple google search will tell you this:

1) this drug costs something like $25000 per year and it is taken orally in tablet form

2) this drug was FDA approved in 2012, as an alternate treatment for those allergic to another rheumatoid arthritis treatment

3) as far as I know, the company (Pfizer) has not conducted long term studies regarding cancer development.

4) to reiterate what others have said.... This drug suppresses the immune system! And it does so to a degree that serious side effects are to be expected

Anyways I'm pretty sure the price tag alone will get people to stay away from the drug
  • 06-20-2014 01:20 PM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Simple google search will tell you this:

1) this drug costs something like $25000 per year and it is taken orally in tablet form

Dr. Cole just mentioned to me that this medication has a long list of side effects and is not approved in Europe for that reason. $25,000 per year seems reasonable though. :)

Chuck
  • 06-21-2014 05:59 AM
    huawei
    Quote:

I'll tell you what, if you front up for the treatment and if it works I'll reimburse you the cost.

The reality is that some where out there right now someone with MPB is on this drug and if it grew hair we'd know about it.
  • 06-21-2014 06:10 AM
    hellouser
    Here's a comment I saw on CNN's article about the news:

http://i58.tinypic.com/b4iyo9.jpg

Just goes to show that baldness really is disrespected.
  • 06-21-2014 09:45 AM
    bananana
    christ.
  • 06-21-2014 03:22 PM
    breakbot
    Quote:

Here's a comment I saw on CNN's article about the news:

http://i58.tinypic.com/b4iyo9.jpg

Just goes to show that baldness really is disrespected.

HAHA! You're so funny man.
  • 06-21-2014 03:25 PM
    Taco sauce
    This is huge!

Couple questions...

Why hasn't anyone tried this before? I can't believe they just waited until a patient with both alopecia AND psoriasis showed up. If it worked on mice why wasn't it tried on humans sooner?

Have the guys in Pennsylvania who are slicing genomes and replicating cells heard of this drug? Seems like they look pretty foolish going as deep as they are when this was sitting on the market since 2012.
  • 06-21-2014 03:57 PM
    FearTheLoss
    This isn't for MPB. Not a huge deal for us.
  • 06-21-2014 06:20 PM
    Haircure
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco sauce View Post
    This is huge!

Couple questions...

Why hasn't anyone tried this before? I can't believe they just waited until a patient with both alopecia AND psoriasis showed up. If it worked on mice why wasn't it tried on humans sooner?

Have the guys in Pennsylvania who are slicing genomes and replicating cells heard of this drug? Seems like they look pretty foolish going as deep as they are when this was sitting on the market since 2012.

I don't think you read this thread thoroughly.... First off the drug in question has gone through clinical trials, which means thousands of patients have tried it. If were any good for AGA (male pattern baldness) then it would have been published much sooner. Second, like many have stated already, this drug may be useful for those with AA (alopecia areata) and AT (alopecia totalis) which are a lot rarer diseases and affect a much smaller proportion (0.1-0.2% of people) compared to AGA which is very common. So the reason why it wasn't shown before was because the number of people with AA and AT were so limited it's likely no one in the trials were affected.

One thing you should know about mice... They cannot be compared to humans in terms of drug effectiveness and efficacy in like 90% of the cases. Scientists can cure all sorts of diseases ranging from cancer to hair loss in mice but that doesn't mean those results translate to cures in humans. Growing hair on mice is not difficult and has been done many times already.

Finally to answer your last point, researchers involved in hair loss treatments are in the loop to a greater degree than we are, and are aware of a lot of the research that is going on with other teams around the world, as well as new studies that are being published. I highly doubt those researchers would find out about a new "miracle treatment" at the same time as the rest of us.
  • 06-21-2014 09:49 PM
    Taco sauce
    Whoops
  • 06-23-2014 02:15 PM
    sascha
    Man. Could you imagine how pumped a young guy or girl must feel about this news. Just wish that for once such news occure also for the other 95% , but I guess we have play the waiting game. Bitter sweet news. Nonetheless I feel happy for this people.
  • 06-23-2014 02:43 PM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sascha View Post
    Man. Could you imagine how pumped a young guy or girl must feel about this news. Just wish that for once such news occure also for the other 95% , but I guess we have play the waiting game. Bitter sweet news. Nonetheless I feel happy for this people.

Yeah... too bad nobody cares for US to be happy.
  • 06-23-2014 02:59 PM
    sascha
    Quote:

Yeah... too bad nobody cares for US to be happy.

Well they care about our money, and maybe after this problem is out of the way something happens to us too. still hope here :D
  • 06-23-2014 05:19 PM
    p0ckets02
    I would submit myself for clinical testing of xeljanz for my MPB in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd spend 8 months AT THE LAB IN A TESTING CHAMBER NAKED if that's what it took. If it worked, or has any positive effect, I'd consider it a worthy use of my time lol

I really hope this great find develops into something we can work with really soon.
  • 06-23-2014 05:47 PM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by p0ckets02 View Post
    I would submit myself for clinical testing of xeljanz for my MPB in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd spend 8 months AT THE LAB IN A TESTING CHAMBER NAKED if that's what it took. If it worked, or has any positive effect, I'd consider it a worthy use of my time lol

I really hope this great find develops into something we can work with really soon.

I wonder if we could collectively raise funds to pay for a bunch of pills and see if we could get it into a topical form used 1-3 times a week... would cost far less this way and reduce possibility of side effects.
  • 06-23-2014 06:29 PM
    p0ckets02
    Quote:

I wonder if we could collectively raise funds to pay for a bunch of pills and see if we could get it into a topical form used 1-3 times a week... would cost far less this way and reduce possibility of side effects.

Sadly, I am pretty sure we will simply have to play the waiting game. But topical therapy has far less risk involved generally.
  • 06-25-2014 08:04 AM
    bananana
    I'd really like to try it, but the topical version (crush some tabs into solution and dermaroll it in)?

Because oral version has far too many serious side effects, check it out:
    http://www.xeljanz.com/safety-side-effects#cancer

Lemme give you some hints:
    "XELJANZ may increase your risk of certain cancers by changing the way your immune system works. Lymphoma and other cancers, including skin cancers, have happened in patients taking XELJANZ.
    Some people taking XELJANZ get tears in their stomach or intestine. This happens most often in people who also take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), corticosteroids, or methotrexate.
    XELJANZ may cause serious side effects, including hepatitis B or C activation infection

This is some dangerous stuff, but I'd be willing to try out the topical solution
  • 06-25-2014 08:14 AM
    bananana
    PS.

...and $25 000 PER YEAR is just outrageously expensive, I bet most of people would rather do a top class HT than take this product.
  • 02-05-2018 08:18 PM
    robodoc
    It is given orally....all these types of Biologic DMARDs have serious side effects that preclude use for AA. Does it work for AA? Who knows.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth