• 02-16-2011 01:19 PM
    gmonasco
    Researchers Accidently Reverse Baldness, Alopecia in Mice
    Good news for bald mice: A five-day treatment can restore a silky black coat of fur. But it will be a while before the hair-raising drug -- accidently discovered by University of California, Los Angeles scientists studying gut function -- is ready to be tested in humans.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=12932070
  • 02-17-2011 08:53 AM
    fontanajul
    Spencer should totally get the doctor responsible for this study on baldtruth radio!!! Here's the link to his info =)

http://www.cns.med.ucla.edu/Bios/MulugetaM.htm

-Max
  • 02-17-2011 12:31 PM
    Winston
    This is an amazing discovery that can have so many applications. Who knows, it might even unlock the mystery of alopecia areata. This is big news!
  • 02-17-2011 12:47 PM
    UK_
    Hey thats great news.

But the mice were "stressed mice" so clearly they cleared the stress and the hair went back to its normal growth phase - I cant get my head around the importance of this study/research. Clearly if one is stressed and the stress is tackled hair returns to normal (we know that) they have merely stumbled upon ANOTHER mechanism to turn off stress.
  • 02-17-2011 12:54 PM
    gmonasco
    I'm about to give up hoping for a cure for (human) hair loss in favor of hoping for a technology that will turn me into a mouse.
  • 02-17-2011 12:59 PM
    Winston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    I'm about to give up hoping for a cure for (human) hair loss in favor of hoping for a technology that will turn me into a mouse.

LOL! Now that was funny!:)
  • 02-17-2011 01:23 PM
    UK_
    Alert: Angry Post.

The title is totally misleading - it's just another dressed up storyline aiming to gain a bit of hype amongst the millions suffering from "MPB" I understand stress is a huge factor in many cases of hairloss - anyway - this is not a cure for hairloss - all they have done is turned stressed out mice into mice without any stress and hair grew back, well done - back to Histogen and Acell.

P.S. I hate the way they always chuck in the imaginary carrot: "it'll be here in another 5 years time yadda yadda yadda" - please - cut it out, you can grow new lung tissue, heart valves, bladders and kidneys in the lab & nearly reverse engineer the entire human brain but you can't grow a single hair follicle? tsk!!!!
  • 02-17-2011 02:43 PM
    UK_
    Seriously I recommend the following title as an adequate replacement:

Stress-blocking drug restores hair in "stressed" bald mice.

LOL@ "cure" - no matter how many times you use the word "might" in the same sentence - I always laugh my ass off when I see that word in any headline - seriously - what have "they" cured? TB is still around, all of the old diseases have simply gone into a state of remission due to our living standards, but still plague the lives of c60% of the planet - they wont cure anything - they dont want to -

CURES ARE BAD FOR BUSINESS.
  • 02-17-2011 03:09 PM
    mlao
    I just think this is another piece of fluff that they use to fill up time on the news and space in a newspaper. A real waste of time.
    Their energy would be better spent interviewing Gail Naughton and Dr. Craig Zering from Histogen so more investors would see the potential in what they are doing.
  • 02-17-2011 03:10 PM
    amadeus
    "Dr. George Cotsarelis, chairman of the dermatology department at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, said any treatment developed from the research would probably be useful only for hair loss related to stress, likes that caused by one-time events, rather than as a treatment for genetic baldness."

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...eir-fur-again/

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

How can I promote my own business?
08-31-2022 01:29 PM
Last Post By samibaceri
Today 01:30 AM
Dr Woods doinf European tour?
09-15-2012 03:44 AM
by didi