Hairline Replacement

Printable View

• 11-05-2008 03:19 PM
    PayDay
    Hairline Replacement
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to replace just the hairline without having surgery? Can I buy a system or whatever you call it that will just blend in with the hair that I have behind my hairline? Does this make sense?
    Thanks!
  • 11-06-2008 11:31 AM
    SpencerKobren
    Hey PayDay,

This is an excellent question! The non-surgical hair replacement industry is as treacherous as any other segment of the hair loss industry, except that you can’t be disfigured by it. But, you can definitely be misled and ripped off. And the vast majority of people are, at least once.

Most full service hair replacement mills do not want you to know that it's possible to purchase a partial hair system to replace small areas of hair loss, but it is. Unfortunately most hair wearers are unaware of this fact so many are actually either covering or shaving their existing healthy hair in order to wear a hair system.

Whatever you do, avoid hair clubs or even "Mom and Pop" shops that will charge you an arm an a leg for a hair piece that you can purchase for a fraction of the price online.

There are a couple of well established online hair system companies that can assist you with your needs. A partial system made to your specifications should cost no more than $300. In fact if you plan on ordering several a year, which you will need to do in order to look good, you'll probably receive a discounted price.

Once you purchase the hair these companies can direct you to a good hair salon that can cut the piece in to blend with your exisintng hair.

Check out these two online resources:
    www.coolpiece.com
    www.toplace.com

They'll be able to help you.

Good luck!
  • 11-06-2008 08:06 PM
    PayDay
    Thank You.
    Thanks Spencer! I've heard you say that for some people it might be a good idea to try a piece before trying surgery. I would hate for people to know that I am wearing a piece. Are they really that undetectable? I mean are the good ones the ones you just don't notice?
  • 11-08-2008 08:13 AM
    Gregory Pistone, MD
    Hello, sometimes a hairpiece is a great option for those who are not canadiates for surgery for one reason or another, who want really dense hair, or who want a temporary fix while deciding about HT surgery. I refer many patients for a hair unit and work hand in hand with patients who want to make a transition out of a hair unit. It nice to have a working relationship between an honest doc and an honest hair salon. There are some downsides to a hair unit, as with everything. You must be careful in the water and in the sun because they can fall off and get bleached. If you are single and dating, most women can detect the feel of it and it may come off during those intimate moments. Certain methods of attachment cause permanent scarring alopecia in spots. They need to be replaced periodically and you can really get nailed with "service fees" if you are not careful. Having said that, a good stylist can make a unit look quite natural. Just be careful, this field is fraught with con artists and "rug salesman" who are more interested in your wallet than your appearance.
  • 11-08-2008 05:46 PM
    PayDay
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my question Dr. Pistone. I asked a hair transplant question in the hair transplant veterans forum.

Do you guys think that having a small hair transplant to see if I would be happy with the outcome is a good idea? I'm a little short on cash and can only afford to spend about $5000 at this point. i would like to have my hairline filled in but I am nervous that I won't be happy. I always hear Spencer telling guys not to rush into having a hair transplant. I don't know, just curious to hear what you guys think.

I got some good answers but was wondering what a doctor like yuorself thought.
    here is a link to the thread.
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=76&page=2

I'm guesing the admin here wants to keep hair transpalnt stuff in the hair tranplant section.

Thanks again!
  • 02-16-2015 12:53 AM
    Luca
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    Thanks Spencer! I've heard you say that for some people it might be a good idea to try a piece before trying surgery. I would hate for people to know that I am wearing a piece. Are they really that undetectable? I mean are the good ones the ones you just don't notice?

What good a hairpiece is if everyone tells you it’s not your real hair? Luckily there are few available in market. Go to the hair-artist of whose work you've seen before. Always consider two factors before making a choice – your scalp and the hair itself. When you wear your wig in public for the first time, wear it when you’re with people you know well. This can help you feel more confident and gives you the chance to gradually prepare yourself for wearing the wig with people you don’t know.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM