Considering FUE

Printable View

• 05-11-2014 05:25 PM
    lifeinthestates
    12 Attachment(s)
    Considering FUE
    I’m 30 years old. In my early twenties my hairline began receding and I started losing density on the top of my head. I’ve always had a prominent cowlick in the front, but the more my hair has receded, the less symmetrical and even my hairline has become (receding more on the right than on the left). Regardless of whether I brush it back or forward, it just looks plain weird.

Goals:
    • A straighter, symmetrical and more normal-looking hairline -- even if it means transplanting more hair to my right side, in front of the cowlick.
    • Retain the ability to buzz hair really short in the back and sides, eliminating the strip procedure (FUT) because of scarring.

Concerns:
    1. Putting "straight" donor hair in front of "wavy" cowlick hair. (See close-up shot of cowlick.) Not sure how well it will blend.
    2. Sooner or later, my hairline will likely recede completely, leaving an "island" of donor hair in the front. How do patients currently deal with this? More transplants?

Questions:
    1. Is my particular hairline/cowlick too extreme to expect good blending and/or natural-looking results?
    2. Based on the photos, in your opinion, is transplant right for me?
    3. Is transplanted hair *permanently* more sensitive than normal hair? i.e. can it be damaged (more so than normal hair) years later by being pulled, scratched or otherwise aggravated?

Thanks for reading and any feedback!
  • 05-11-2014 06:07 PM
    fred970
    1. I don't think it would be a problem.
    2. It should be right, if you don't bald any further.
    3. I don't think so. The transplanted hairs shouldn't be more fragile.

My estimate would be that you need... 50 grafts. Argh, this is still so hard for me seeing 30 years old with minimal hair loss asking about a hair transplant :(.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do!
  • 05-12-2014 08:13 AM
    win200
    I was in a really similar situation to you when I had my first transplant at 29; some slight temple loss with really thick hair behind it. You can have a great result. Your concern about matching donor hair is a really good one; some people forget that hair characteristics vary around the head. My native hairline hair is medium brown with a little wave, but the donor-area transplanted hair is nearly black, extremely thick, and stick-straight--almost like Asian hair. But my surgeon was good and it looks totally natural. Just pick someone who does knockout hairline work. I'd strongly suggest Rahal or Konior. And 1,000 to 1,200 grafts would probably be perfect for you.

Are you on Propecia?
  • 05-12-2014 08:22 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeinthestates View Post
    I’m 30 years old. In my early twenties my hairline began receding and I started losing density on the top of my head. I’ve always had a prominent cowlick in the front, but the more my hair has receded, the less symmetrical and even my hairline has become (receding more on the right than on the left). Regardless of whether I brush it back or forward, it just looks plain weird.

Goals:
    • A straighter, symmetrical and more normal-looking hairline -- even if it means transplanting more hair to my right side, in front of the cowlick.
    • Retain the ability to buzz hair really short in the back and sides, eliminating the strip procedure (FUT) because of scarring.

Concerns:
    1. Putting "straight" donor hair in front of "wavy" cowlick hair. (See close-up shot of cowlick.) Not sure how well it will blend.
    2. Sooner or later, my hairline will likely recede completely, leaving an "island" of donor hair in the front. How do patients currently deal with this? More transplants?

Questions:
    1. Is my particular hairline/cowlick too extreme to expect good blending and/or natural-looking results?
    2. Based on the photos, in your opinion, is transplant right for me?
    3. Is transplanted hair *permanently* more sensitive than normal hair? i.e. can it be damaged (more so than normal hair) years later by being pulled, scratched or otherwise aggravated?

Thanks for reading and any feedback!

If you were 18 with that hairline, I'd say wait till you're 30. You should be fine fixing your hairline. Dr. Cole likes to keep the hairline high. That way it looks more natural as you age. There's an art to placing single hair grafts so the result has longevity and continues to look natural even if the native front becomes considerably thinner down the road.

There doesn't seem to be any difference in "durability" between native hair and transplanted hair. For instance we had a patient begin repair with us of an unnatural appearing transplanted hairline. Our patient had two unsuccessful laser hair removal sessions before coming to us. We had to surgically remove the two, three, and four hair grafts this other doctor placed on his hairline.

Don't "baby" your transplanted hair.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
  • 03-16-2023 09:43 PM
    AlfonzoShimo
    Nice work! I appreciate your insight. great danoodle
  • 03-20-2023 03:10 AM
    shieldsscreen256
    Are you looking for Sony Xperia 1 Screen Protector brand-new for longer with one of Screens Shield glass screen protectors. Made of durable tempered glass with crystal-clear, anti-fingerprint.
  • 03-29-2023 10:58 PM
    AlfonzoShimo
    Just a theory. bubble slides
  • 03-30-2023 07:28 PM
    AlfonzoShimo
    butterfly locs Order a free demo and learn all its features..
  • 04-24-2023 07:35 PM
    AlfonzoShimo
    credible login Delbert Sease

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen