• 05-21-2013 08:46 AM
    Woodyy
    Does the mirror make it look worse or the camera make it look better?
    Every time I check my hairline in the mirror it looks like its obviously receding, I'll go and take some pictures so I can document the progress of my treatment (just started duta and topical spiro) and I'm met with a perfectly normal hairline when I look at the pictures.

Honestly, if pictures were a better representation of real life than mirrors were I wouldn't even be on this site.
  • 05-21-2013 12:38 PM
    Aames
    Brah, I know these feels very well. I nearly have a panic attack every time I examine my hairline in the mirror post-shower. Then I'll go look at the photos that I posted in my duta log and I can completely understand why everyone was taking the piss out of me and thought that I was trolling. I don't know which representation is accurate.
  • 05-21-2013 01:03 PM
    Woodyy
    Same, I don't get how the mirror can suggest I'm heading towards an NW2 and the camera suggests I'm not losing any hair whatsoever..

I don't even get the logic behind it though, I have a freckle on my hairline for a reference point, in both the mirror and camera my hairline is still at that freckle. I thought maybe it's due to the proportional difference between a phone/camera screen and a mirror but, and this may sound laughable, I printed out one of the pictures I took onto an A4 sheet and it still looks like there's no recession.

Do you go on the misc/bb.com by the way? From the way you and Highlander speak it seems like you do.
  • 05-21-2013 01:12 PM
    Aames
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodyy View Post
    Same, I don't get how the mirror can suggest I'm heading towards an NW2 and the camera suggests I'm not losing any hair whatsoever..

I don't even get the logic behind it though, I have a freckle on my hairline for a reference point, in both the mirror and camera my hairline is still at that freckle. I thought maybe it's due to the proportional difference between a phone/camera screen and a mirror but, and this may sound laughable, I printed out one of the pictures I took onto an A4 sheet and it still looks like there's no recession.

Do you go on the misc/bb.com by the way? From the way you and Highlander speak it seems like you do.

I know man; it just doesn't make any sense. Maybe there's some distortion by being so close to the mirror versus a camera being far away? I know when I examine my hairline in the mirror, it is very close-up.

And yeah. I don't think Highlander posts there anymore (he's a red lmao) but I still do a bit. Sucks though since I can't really speak my mind for fear of negs. No one takes you seriously if you're red. Lots of stupid people there.
  • 05-22-2013 03:26 PM
    Woodyy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    I know man; it just doesn't make any sense. Maybe there's some distortion by being so close to the mirror versus a camera being far away? I know when I examine my hairline in the mirror, it is very close-up.

And yeah. I don't think Highlander posts there anymore (he's a red lmao) but I still do a bit. Sucks though since I can't really speak my mind for fear of negs. No one takes you seriously if you're red. Lots of stupid people there.

Lmao, yeah, I don't go on there for any life lessons but it's funny sometimes. There's quite a popular hairloss thread on there but it's mostly full of misinformation and people thinking one propecia tab is going to turn you into a woman.
  • 05-23-2013 12:10 PM
    mattj
    It depends on the camera and the image quality. The typical photos people take of themselves to show their hair loss are not as clear as a close up inspection in the mirror.
  • 12-13-2015 02:17 PM
    Loony
    Logical thinking. Reality is reality, so what you see is what it is. What a camera shows is a whole different story, this all depends on lightning, focus, megapixels, shadows and a hundred other factors.

Your eyes won't change the actual reality. A camera can and will.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant
02-26-2009 02:36 PM
Last Post By SarahCarter
Yesterday 04:24 PM
Scar Grafting with Dr Cole
06-21-2012 02:00 PM
Last Post By northeastguy
Yesterday 10:14 AM