How confident does a man have to be to wear a wig?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Master King
    • Feb 2011

How confident does a man have to be to wear a wig?

Very confident. Because in my view a bad wig is more likely to make you feel MORE self conscious than baldness ever would.

So you have to be very confident that you think your fale hair looks real.

Discuss.
  • chewytorch
    • Oct 2010

Don't they make wigs with real hair?

Comment

• amadeus
      • Dec 2008

It think part of the confidence comes with knowing that your hairpiece actually looks good and undetectable. You can be the most confidant guy in the world but if you’re wearing an obvious hairpiece others will see you differently.

Comment

• Master King
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by amadeus
        It think part of the confidence comes with knowing that your hairpiece actually looks good and undetectable. You can be the most confidant guy in the world but if you’re wearing an obvious hairpiece others will see you differently.
        I wear a hair system but then again, I don't care what people think. I'm fairly confident it looks real.

@Chewy. Some wigs are made of synthetic hair.

Comment

• barry77
          • Dec 2009

I my view I think you need to be very confident. If you're averagely confident you'll be constantly aware of the wig and you'll be looking out for reactions from others. If you're very confident you'll 'not care' what people think. But if you're that confident why wear the wig?

Doesn't matter if it's a good or a bad wig. There's no such thing as 'undetectable'. If an observer is suspicious, it's fairly easy for them to work out if it's a wig or not.

Comment

• Master King
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by barry77
            I my view I think you need to be very confident. If you're averagely confident you'll be constantly aware of the wig and you'll be looking out for reactions from others. If you're very confident you'll 'not care' what people think. But if you're that confident why wear the wig?

Doesn't matter if it's a good or a bad wig. There's no such thing as 'undetectable'. If an observer is suspicious, it's fairly easy for them to work out if it's a wig or not.
            You really think that even the best systems are detectable? I beg to differ.

Comment

• gmonasco
              Inactive
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Master King
              I wear a hair system but then again, I don't care what people think. I'm fairly confident it looks real.
              Is your hair system a hairpiece, or the type that is bonded to your head and worn for weeks at a time?

Comment

• barry77
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Master King
                You really think that even the best systems are detectable?
                Absolutely. You may achieve something close to undetectable in the mirror but in the daylight, getting on the train, standing in a pact elevator, walking down the road on a windy day, basically everything we do in a typical day puts us in the line of scrutiny where anyone with eyes will see that something is 'not right'.

Comment

• Master King
                  • Feb 2011

Absolutely. You may achieve something close to undetectable in the mirror but in the daylight, getting on the train, standing in a pact elevator, walking down the road on a windy day, basically everything we do in a typical day puts us in the line of scrutiny where anyone with eyes will see that something is 'not right'.
                  I'm fully aware of all those things you've pointed out. And let me tell you I wouldn't wear a system until it was near perfect in my eyes.

I'm my own worst critic. If the hair doesn't match my own hair, I won't wear it. It has to be a good a match as I can get or else it goes in the trash can. That's why I think full caps are a disaster. Loads of guys wear them but I have never seen a convincing full man's cap yet. They all look like wigs.

Comment

• Master King
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by gmonasco
                    Is your hair system a hairpiece, or the type that is bonded to your head and worn for weeks at a time?

Ha ha. They're both the same in my view.

Comment

• Weedwacker
                      • Sep 2010

I believe one has to be very confident to wear a hairpiece simply because society does not 'accept' it. For women it's ok; however, for men it's not. Therefore, a man must be very confident in himself to wear one, and simply not care about the opinions of others. Most people, in my opinion, are very concerned about the opinions of others.

I wore a piece from the time I was 22 to the age of 24. Unfortunately, the piece I wore had far too much density, so it looked fake. With the modern systems, you can get one with medium to light density, and get a texture match as well. Color match is also important. I have naturally wavy hair and my pieces were made with straight hair; therefore, they were fake looking. It is much easier to wear a piece if you have naturally straight hair.

Some men look abnormal when they lose their hair, so I think hairpieces are a great option for those who can't buzz their hair short. If you can deal with the work involved, and it looks good, why not? Unfortunately, most people are brainwashed by the culture in which they live, so they will mock hairpiece wearers. These morons ought to be wholly ignored.

Comment

• UK_
                        • Feb 2011

How long is a piece of string?

Comment

• gmonasco
                          Inactive
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by UK_
                          How long is a piece of string?
                          Longer than our interest in reading irrelevant comments.

Comment

• barry77
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Weedwacker
                            Some men look abnormal when they lose their hair
                            That's a claim that needs explanation.
                            Originally posted by Weedwacker
                            ... so I think hairpieces are a great option for those who can't buzz their hair short. If you can deal with the work involved, and it looks good, why not?
                            Because they all look fake? The view you take is unusual as you yourself wore a hairpiece for two years and decided it looked fake and (I presume) haven't worn one since. It's my strong conviction that modern systems are still easily detectable in the real world despite looking great in the gallery section of hairpiece websites.

Comment

• Weedwacker
                              • Sep 2010

That's a claim that needs explanation.

An explanation as to why some guys look abnormal if they are bald? I shouldn't have to answer that, however, if I must. Baldness is a biological error. We are supposed to have hair on our heads to frame our face, as well as protect our heads from the elements. There is no biological purpose to Male Pattern Baldness, other than to increase the risk of skin cancer and likelyhood of developing pneumonia in cold weather - which is another topic. Take a look at people who are on chemo and tell me how normal they look. Although different from chemo, MPB makes some men look strange because they have no facial frame; hence, they become unrecognizable or look bizarre. It's abnormal looking to have half of your hair missing; it looks as though you walked underneath a ceiling fan too closely. Fortunately, some men, such as Andre Agassi, are able to look pretty good bald. Tell me, if you think baldness is so normal looking, then why are you on this forum?

Because they all look fake? The view you take is unusual as you yourself wore a hairpiece for two years and decided it looked fake and (I presume) haven't worn one since. It's my strong conviction that modern systems are still easily detectable in the real world despite looking great in the gallery section of hairpiece websites.
                              My view may appear unusual; however, if you read my post carefully you would have noticed that I was critical of my hairpieces because of density and texture - which are things that are not a problem with new hair systems. Moreover, I wore a piece back in the late 1990's when I was in my early 20's. I am 34 now so I no longer need a piece; I look ok with my hair buzzed to a #1. When I was 21, and a Norwood 6, I looked like a freak bald. I had the face of an 18 year old, and the hairline of an 80 year old; not a good look, especially when you want a job that deals with the public.

Many systems may be detectable; however, not all. During Titanic, Billy Zane (who is actually bald) wore a hairpiece as he starred alongside Leonardo Dicaprio; he played Kate Winslet's domineering husband. You can watch Titanic on a 50 inch plasma T.V. and I doubt you will be able to detect his piece.

Some men find their looks destroyed by Male Pattern Baldness. Wearing a hairpiece is not a great option; however, when you are unrecognizable, or your looks have gone from a 7 to a 2, or you look like a Star Trek character with a shaved or buzzed head then it's a viable alternative. Perhaps, hairloss will be cured in the not too distant future. In the meantime, those whose heads are shaped like a cactus, or whose appearance has been wrecked, or who are not a transplant candidate may benefit from a system.

Comment

Working...