• 09-23-2011 07:49 AM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Haber, MD View Post
    Dr. Cooley’s work is excellent, and his reported results are exciting. I’m sufficiently intrigued to begin my own trials with Acell, and many other docs will do the same, but only when many have demonstrated positive results in varied circumstances should a product or technique be widely adopted.

I wasn't sure about what to think of this Acell stuff when I first read about it. Now I am sufficiently intrigued to ask my hair restoration doctor about it when I have my next follow up. :)
  • 09-23-2011 08:14 AM
    gillenator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I wasn't sure about what to think of this Acell stuff when I first read about it. Now I am sufficiently intrigued to ask my hair restoration doctor about it when I have my next follow up. :)

Many of us were and are skeptical about many of these new products however Acell is continually substantianting its benefits and many more reputable doctors are using it on their patients.

But like anything else, patients respond differently to various medications whether oral, topical, systemic, etc.

The clinical results of Acell overall cannot be denied and I grow more excited as I hear and see the positive results continue.
  • 09-23-2011 08:21 AM
    gillenator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NTMANNN View Post
    A couple weeks ago I contacted a local hair transplant doctor who was recommended to me by a couple of good friends (I'll keep names out of it because that's not relevant and I don't want to attack anyone, I just want your opinions). I asked the doctor if he was using Acell or if he was going to in the near future. His response what 'no' because the science wasn't there yet.

I've done as much research as possible, I'm not jumping on the Acell hype-wagon, but haven't Dr. Cooley and Dr. Hitzig shown that the science is there through their research? This isn't snake oil. Yes, there is much to learn still, but how can everything there is to know be learned quickly if only a couple of doctors are even willing to try it?

I'm all for hair transplant doctors being responsible. In fact, i wouldn't want an irresponsible doctor anywhere near my scalp. But isn't it also their responsibility to offer their clients a medicine which could have profound effects on the future of the industry? Even if it's only through a year of controlled clinical trials on select patients. Try it. Experiment. But give the patient all the facts before doing so and let them decide. Don't just brush it off.

Even since this original post in May of this year, more and more reputable HT doctors are now using Acell. Improvements to improve the absortion rate in tissue are being worked on as we write. Ideally there will be other application forms of Acell to deliver to the patient other than the current gel. There are more improvements on the horizon to be made with this product. Stay tuned.
  • 09-23-2011 09:38 AM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Many of us were and are skeptical about many of these new products however Acell is continually substantianting its benefits and many more reputable doctors are using it on their patients.

I've only recently read about Acell. I've already had two hair transplants performed by a wonderful doctor who did an excellent job. I definitely look a lot better now than I did before - but my situation is such that I need more density. So I used my google-foo to see if there is anything else that might be possible sometime in the future and I found this thread. Reading a comment from a doctor I know and trust gives me hope that more density might be possible.
  • 09-23-2011 12:03 PM
    gillenator
    Hey Tracy,

Very nice to read your post. Congrats that you are happy with your doc and your results. That's always assuring to read as an advocate since I am more involved in helping patients who are not happy. The industry certainly has come a long way since I started researching the field back in early 1980, especially the instrumentation along with the advent of FU micro-grafting.

You stated that you had two prior procedures. Were they by chance in the same surface area? Since you stated your wanting to increase your density level, I presume you would like to again go in the third time? Any idea of where you are at right now as expressed in FU per cm2? And lastly, any idea of the degree of coarseness to your hair? I am referring to hair shaft diameter, meaning thinner caliber or thicker caliber, not density. Obviously these are things that you are dicussing with your doctor.

Here's why I am asking if you do not mind. Let's say one's original virgin density was at 116 per cm2 and now the patient has completely lost that hair down to the scalp. With average hair characteristics, you would only need to get to approximately 50-60 FU cm2 surgically speaking to "look restored". So if a person was okay with a little less density, the numbers could go down to say 40 FU cm2, give or take. And the more coarse the donor hair is, the better visual coverage is. There are some variances and trade offs between patients.

With the use of some math, the doctor can potentially calculate your donor density and then calculate the exisitng density level in the proposed recipient area to determine how many more FUs per cm2 that you the patient would like to achieve.

Everyone's goal ends up to be equated in terms of visual achievement. Because our donor supply is limited, we can never replace our lost hair stand for strand which you also are undoubtedly aware of.

Thank goodness we can achieve a restored look without having to gain back our original density levels!
  • 09-23-2011 06:22 PM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

You stated that you had two prior procedures. Were they by chance in the same surface area?

Yes and no. For the first procedure, the doctor reconstructed my hair line and filled in from there back. He got my hair line perfect on the first try. I brought pictures showing my younger sisters’ hair line and he used those as a guide. My hair line now looks exactly like it did before hair loss ruined my life. He built up density with the second procedure. So there was overlap.

Quote:

Since you stated your wanting to increase your density level, I presume you would like to again go in the third time?

I did ask him if a third transplant was a possibility when I had my one year follow up a few weeks ago. He said that since I’ve already had over 5000 grafts we should be cautious from here. He suggested we wait a little longer and we can talk about it again during my 18 month follow up.

Quote:

Any idea of where you are at right now as expressed in FU per cm2?

No I don’t. I can tell you that each procedure was planned for 2500 grafts. They harvested a little more than that each time. I can also tell you that I had a lot of shock loss with the second transplant. I am not sure if I had so much shock loss with the first transplant because my hair was buzzed short at the time. Back then I thought I needed to buzz my hair really short to help treat my hair loss more effectively. I now know that I never needed to do that – but it’s just as well because it looked completely terrible any other way anyway.

Quote:

And lastly, any idea of the degree of coarseness to your hair? I am referring to hair shaft diameter, meaning thinner caliber or thicker caliber, not density.

The hair on the top of my head is very fine. It is noticeably finer than the rest of the hair on my head. It is much more noticeable when my hair is wet than when it is dry. I do not know the diameters - but I would guess thinner calibers on top than every where else.

Quote:

Everyone's goal ends up to be equated in terms of visual achievement. Because our donor supply is limited, we can never replace our lost hair strand for strand which you also are undoubtedly aware of.

Yes I am aware of that. Goals and hopes are not always the same thing. I am very happy with what my hair restoration doctor has been able to do for me so far. It looks so much better now than it did before. I am now able to wear my hair in a style similar to the way I did before hair loss ruined my life. It is my hope that we can restore my hair closer to the way it was before than it is now... This is a priority for me, second only to my overall health because my hair loss has caused so much depression and anxiety. I was literally a hermit for about ten years because I didn’t want to go out in public. I only went out when I had to, which was mostly to go to work – but not much more than that.
  • 09-25-2011 12:52 PM
    gillenator
    Tracy,

My word. You have come such a long way and may I say how happy I am for you. And the biggest joy is to hear you explain the degree of freedom or resumed lifestyle that you now have.

I have lots of respect for your surgeon in wanting to wait until the 18 month mark. Part of that may be due to waiting for more length to your transplanted hair and also for hair shaft maturation (caliber). He no doubt want to wait and see the full visual benefit before deciding anything else right? So was your doctor, Dr. Haber?

There are many other docs out there that would have undoubtedly done another procedure as long as you had the $ to pay for it.:rolleyes:

You also have done your research and homework. I am glad that you understand that you do not need to gain original density to achieve your "visual goals".

Congrats again and I wish you the very best in your journey Tracy!:)
  • 09-25-2011 06:58 PM
    Tracy C
    Yes. Dr. Haber is my doctor. He is more than a great doctor, he is a good person. I can also tell that he really loves what he does. That means a lot to me. His staff is really wonderful as well. That also means a lot to me.
  • 09-26-2011 12:29 PM
    gillenator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Yes. Dr. Haber is my doctor. He is more than a great doctor, he is a good person. I can also tell that he really loves what he does. That means a lot to me. His staff is really wonderful as well. That also means a lot to me.

Awesome. Another doctor with talent AND ethics, although I am familiar with Dr. Haber. Those are the very types of professionals that support my work as an advocate.

Enjoy your new hairline and again wish you the best in your journey...

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM