• 08-24-2012 01:13 PM
    gillenator
    You're welcome dandy, just give it more time, you'll see. ;)
  • 09-20-2012 05:10 PM
    gallovolador
    Dear Sirs,

I am extremely worried about what happened to me today. It´s my second FUE procedure and I am in my 17th day post op.
    Today I fell sleep at the worst time of a sunny day for about an hour in my living room coach just behind a big window with my scalp in front of this window, there is also some white curtains blocking partially the light and I thought I was safe because of these white curtains.
    What triggers all my concerns is that tonight after my evening shower I saw a massive shedding, more than 100 hairs and before this event the transplanted hair was not falling -only few hairs per shower after my tenth day.

I was reading about UV protection factor of clothes and I saw that white colour protection factor is much lower than dark colours, between other factors. After my reading I consider my white curtain as a weak UV protector and I guess a good % of UV radiation through that window was hitting my scalp for an hour.

I do not have any sign of sunburn or white dots around new grafts as described here by some of the Drs. But I am afraid that the initiation of the shedding just after this could be more than a coincidence.

Any feedback would be much appreciated while I wait for the results of my last HT to come.

Many thanks for all the valuable info in this forum!.
  • 09-21-2012 11:42 AM
    gillenator
    It sounds like sympathetic shockloss is occuring especially being 17 days post-op. This is perfectly normal and I would not worry about it.

Had you stated that there was a definite sunburn as a result of the filtered UV rays, that would be different altogethor. Yet I did not read of any red burn nor inflamation or burn blisters of any kind. There is a fair amount of pain and acute tenderness associated with sunburn when the tissue is damaged.

It would be helpful to visibly see your scalp right now however trust me, you would know if your scalp was sunburned but it clearly does not sound that was the case. If you would have been outside say on a deck with your scalp exposed to "direct" UV rays, then you probably would have experienced a burn but thank goodness for those curtains and the fact that you were not "directly exposed" to the potentially harmful rays.

Now it never hurts to contact your surgeon, but my guess is that your doctor will concur with the opinion that you did not sustain a sunburn and that your grafts should be fine.

In approximately another 12 weeks, maybe earlier, you should begin to see the new growth. Wishing you the best my friend! ;)
  • 12-04-2012 07:39 AM
    35YrsAfter
    I doubt you have a thing to worry about. Glass filters out a good bit of UV - but not all. Conventional glass is almost totally opaque to UVB and C. However, it partially allows UVA to pass through. UVB and C are the light wavelengths to be concerned about. I'm fair skinned and have had several bad sunburns throughout my life. I am older and have paid the price. Sun damage will show up later in life. When your skin is actually burned, you will know it. Bad sunburns in fair-skinned people can lead to Actinic Keratosis and often skin cancer. I had to use 5-fluorouracil on several areas of Actinic Keratosis over the years. It does a great job of getting rid of the scaly red patches, but it makes a mess of your skin during the treatment phase.

I credit my wife for steering our family toward healthy eating. She removed from the menu, trans fat as well as foods containing GMO. We cook in high quality olive oil, eat grass fed beef not shot up with chemicals and we avoid non-organic produce like the plague. It's literally amazing the difference in health my fimily has enjoyed since making these changes.

Studies show that those who have Actinic Keratosis can dramatically help the lesions by switching to a low fat diet.

-35YrsAfter isan employee of Dr. Cole's office
  • 12-04-2012 09:56 AM
    gillenator
    What type of glass are you talking about?
  • 03-15-2013 04:47 PM
    ray1
    This is very informative.

I am planning on a procedure this coming may as i am a student and have all the summer off, so was hoping to have a procedure done then travel for a few months either the US or Europe depending on where i have my procedure!

Is this option not viable now:confused:

This has been a great thread however my HT and travel plan has been put of by this:(

Regards
  • 05-30-2013 10:07 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Sharon A. Keene, MD has written a series of articles in Hair Transplant International Forum magazine related to hair loss studies in identical twins. In one of her articles, Dr. Keene recognized the three major non-genetic contributors to hair loss as, smoking cigarettes, sun exposure and stress.

I always cover my head when out in the sun for any extended length of time. The most comfortable hats in my opinion offering sun protection are bandanas.

Killer Creek Harley, about a mile from Dr. Cole's office has some great looking hats and bandannas. They can generally be worn a couple days after FUE hair transplant surgery. That's my style opinion though. I have suggested this style of head cover to patients who tell me it's not their style at all. Here is the link.

-35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    www.forhair.com
  • 05-30-2013 11:07 AM
    gillenator
    Bandanas are fine as long as the knot that is tied is done without very much tension. In most cases the knot is located directly under the occipital zone and can potentially put undue downward tension on the donor scar. However it's a great cover for FUE patients. Now they even make bandanas that are custom made to size and the knot is already pre-tied.

There is really no clinical substantiation (proof) that smoking causes hairloss unrelated to MPB. More of a theory than actual proof. I no longer smoke but I use to for 40 years and did so after all four of my HT procedures. I do not advocate this because of the constriction of the vascular system among other things like lung cancer, yet it never negatively impacted my results.

It's always a good thing to cover our scalps anytime we are directly exposed to UV rays for any length of time beyond roughly 7 minutes. :cool:
  • 05-30-2013 02:22 PM
    topcat
    The sun is vital towards achieving optimal health for all human beings,to believe otherwise makes no logical sense. It’s very easy for those who market crap to say oh yeah it’s the sun. Most cancer is a direct result of environmental exposure to chemicals in some form and shoveling loads of crap down one’s pie hole.
  • 05-30-2013 03:06 PM
    gillenator
    The sun is a good source of natural vitamin D, but the issue here is preventing damage from the UV rays.
  • 05-30-2013 03:15 PM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gillenator View Post

There is really no clinical substantiation (proof) that smoking causes hairloss unrelated to MPB. More of a theory than actual proof. I no longer smoke but I use to for 40 years and did so after all four of my HT procedures. I do not advocate this because of the constriction of the vascular system among other things like lung cancer, yet it never negatively impacted my results.

Of course there is the classic example of the homeless man with a full, luxurious head of hair in the alleyway, gassed to the eyeballs, chain-smoking cigarette butts.

According to Sharon A. Keene, MD, recent studies indicate that cigarette smoking raises testosterone levels in men by around 10% - 15%... The increased base hormone, testosterone undergoes 5α-reduction to form the more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone. This particular study I read may have inadvertently solved the smoking fetish mystery. Perhaps men who get turned on watching women smoke cigarettes were around women smokers at puberty having their testosterone levels raised via second-hand smoke and are the victim of classical conditioning:

Classical conditioning "Pavlov's dog"
    "Conditioning is usually done by pairing the two stimuli, as in Pavlov’s classic experiments. Pavlov presented dogs with a ringing bell followed by food. The food elicited salivation (UR), and after repeated bell-food pairings the bell also caused the dogs to salivate. In this experiment,the unconditioned stimulus is the dog food as it produces an unconditioned response, saliva. The conditioned stimulus is the ringing bell and it produces a conditioned response of the dogs producing saliva."

BTW testosterone is responsible for sexual desire in both men and women. In women, testosterone is produced by the ovaries and adrenal glands.

Back to the smoking issue. It constricts blood vessels. Lowered blood supply can definitely impair growth of healthy hair. It just doesn't manifest in the majority of men and women to where it becomes a problem. I just got off the phone with a new patient who had a strip surgery a year ago. Although we haven't seen him yet, he told me that his last hair restoration doctor believes a restricted blood supply caused his necrosis and hair loss in a 2 inch area.

www.forhair.com
  • 05-30-2013 04:31 PM
    topcat
    Sure preventing damage can be achieved by consuming a higher level of saturated fats and cholesterol through a nutrient dense diet. There is a direct connection between cancer and unstable processed vegetable oil in which the increased consumption is relatively recent. We could probably run a graph chart and the increase in consumption would follow the rise in skin cancer. The sun has been relatively constant for thousands of years so look for what has changed to cause the rapid rise. Maybe just follow the money like everything else we see.
  • 05-30-2013 04:48 PM
    gillenator
    An increase in testosterone levels does not equate to a directly related increase in DHT necessarily. There's no proof of this regarding the conversion levels, and please provide the link because I have researched this issue myself being a former smoker and HT patient.

The constriction factor is well known and refraining from smoking is usually advised from just about any point of view. It also thins the blood so good idea to refrain from it prior to surgery. I imagine we could go on and on with the many reasons why to not smoke.

Still, I do not believe that it is a major detriment to the success of a procedure. And I agree it is an exception, not the norm.

topcat, I agree that optimal nutrition is a given for good health and it's no myth why we see the alarming increase in all forms of cancer related to our environment.

Damaging sunburn can occur irrespective of one's diet "if" the scalp goes uncovered which is the other issue here.
  • 05-31-2013 06:55 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    The sun is vital towards achieving optimal health for all human beings,to believe otherwise makes no logical sense. It’s very easy for those who market crap to say oh yeah it’s the sun. Most cancer is a direct result of environmental exposure to chemicals in some form and shoveling loads of crap down one’s pie hole.

I had a severe sunburn on my face and scalp many years ago. I am fair skinned and have needed to treat solar keratosis from time to time with 5 fluorouracil. Actinic Keratosis is considered a pre-cancerous skin condition. A little-known study of nutrition revealed that a low fat diet can eliminate Actinic Keratosis. I have found this to be true to a degree. I have seen some of the red areas clear up since I changed my diet. So, yes, I believe that garbage food can be a catalyst for medical problems.

There is the issue of too much of a good thing. Take Vitamin A for instance:
    "Vitamin A is a group of nutritionally unsaturated hydrocarbons, which include retinol, retinal, retinoic acid, and several provitamin A carotenoids, among which beta-carotene is the most important. Vitamin A has multiple functions, it is important for growth and development, for the maintenance of the immune system and good vision. Vitamin A is needed by the retina of the eye in the form of retinal, which combines with protein opsin to form rhodopsin the light-absorbing molecule , that is necessary for both low-light (scotopic vision) and color vision. Vitamin A also functions in a very different role as an irreversibly oxidized form of retinol known as retinoic acid, which is an important hormone-like growth factor for epithelial and other cells."

One particular plant, the Poke Weed should not be overeaten. A plant can be so rich in vitamin A that if you eat too much of it, you risk a vitamin A overdose (hypervitaminosis A). Some vitamins, like vitamin C are water soluble--you urinate out the excess nutrients. Others, like vitamin A and vitamin D, are fat soluble--the excess nutrients are stored in your fat, hence you can get too much of them.

Here in the South (Georgia), the Poke weed is legendary. Years ago there was even a popular song about it. It is poisonous unless it is boiled in water 3 times (the water must be discarded 3 times to leech out the excess Vitamin A.

Like vitamin A, a necessary nutrient, one can get too much of it. This is true of sun exposure as well.

www.forhair.com
  • 05-31-2013 02:53 PM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

An increase in testosterone levels does not equate to a directly related increase in DHT necessarily. There's no proof of this regarding the conversion levels, and please provide the link because I have researched this issue myself being a former smoker and HT patient.

The study I cited in Hair Transplant Forum International does not provide proof that the rate of DHT conversion changes significantly with an increase or decrease in testosterone levels. The study implied a connection between increased testosterone levels from smoking and a greater degree of hair loss. Cigarette smoke contains thousands of toxins, so it is possible that the noted increase in hair loss is caused by another agent or combination of chemicals.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    www.forhair.com
  • 05-31-2013 03:39 PM
    topcat
    35 years hopefully we all have common sense and build up a tolerance to sun slowly early in the season and then seek shade in the blistering heat like much of the rest of the animal kingdom. But unfortunately that is not the case as the average person sits under florescent lighting most of the year and then thinks it’s a good idea to sit in the high noon sun while vacationing near the equator.

We often see some of these people in the news. They smoke, load they body with phthalates from heavy make up, burden their lymph system with tattoos, glue cell phones to the heads, probably eat a nutrient poor diet then they lop off their breasts to prevent disease. Not much logic there but I’m sure many will follow the lead after all it’s a celebrity.

The human knows instinctively what to do but we seem to lost much of that for various reasons. Chances are poke weed is very bitter and if so it’s very bitter for a reason. I don’t know, never had it.
  • 06-01-2013 10:11 AM
    gillenator
    Several months ago I was referred to an endodontist to have a tooth x-rayed and just before the test I asked about the potential harm from the more advanced scan.

He found my inquisition humorous as he noticed the redness of my cheeks from the sun. He then stated that the amount of radiation from 15 minutes of direct sunlight was far more exposure then the radiation from his equipment. :rolleyes:

He then commented on the approaching summer season and how many people never give a second thought to bake in the harmful rays of the sun whether they use sunblock or not.
  • 06-01-2013 07:49 PM
    topcat
    Doctors only know what they have been taught. Rarely do they question it nor do they realize who controls what they are being taught. They need to color within the lines that is just the way it works. The guy bought and paid for the machine he now needs to get his money back along with a little profit. Don't worry it's safe :)

What does he know about the Sun and UV radiation? Next time ask him for his extensive list of research material :)
  • 06-02-2013 08:47 AM
    topcat
    This weekend which comes around once a year I have the opportunity to watch thousands of pasty looking overweight women many of them obese walking around in pink shirts thinking they are doing something to help prevent cancer. That is the power of marketing and The American Cancer Society is loving it along with those that really control that institution. You see you need to control the information to sell the stuff that really makes the money and the Sun doesn’t make anyone any money.

The HT industry is small fish these guys are sharks working a much bigger pond. If you go up against them with the truth you end up in jail but usually their control over information is so complete that is rarely necessary but it does happen that is how much power they wield.

Usually what goes around come around so all it takes is a few people to say hey maybe we should stop screwing people over for a few bucks and do business honestly, do the right thing and then maybe others will follow and in the end we will all be better off.
  • 06-03-2013 07:08 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

I just emailed Dr. Keene to ask if she is aware of any studies that support a relationship between testosterone and DHT levels. In other words will an increase in testosterone cause DHT production to increase and vice versa?

• 06-03-2013 12:33 PM
    gillenator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I just emailed Dr. Keene to ask if she is aware of any studies that support a relationship between testosterone and DHT levels. In other words will an increase in testosterone cause DHT production to increase and vice versa?

As long as it is clinical substantiation. Thousands of studies take place but most of them result in opinions not verification. :rolleyes:
  • 06-06-2013 06:59 AM
    topcat
    I try not to cut and paste articles to the forum but I think in this case this article is well worth reading. Not so much for the content which I have personally found to be 100% true but for understanding how information is manipulated when there is money to be made. I would consider the Sun just as important as food in healing the body and mind.

I like the line about tag team effort...........huh......c'mon doesn't that make you laugh kind of reminds me of the ht industry.

June 4, 2013 by MARCO TORRES

The Sun Is Heating Up And It's Time To Ignore Every Single Message You Hear About Slathering On Sunscreen

The idea that sunscreen prevents cancer is a falsity promoted by a profit-seeking tag-team effort between the cancer industry and the sunscreen industry. How convenient an oversight by these demonizers of the sun that people closest to the equator have the lowest incidence of skin cancer, but you'll never hear that message on your local news. Instead, as the summer approaches the media bombards us daily with myths that blocking the sun's rays from reaching our skin will somehow protect us from the one thing it actually prevents--cancer.

Blocking the sun's rays from reaching our skin dramatically influences our optimal vitamin D levels, leading to higher mortality, critical illness and mental health disorders. Ironically, sunscreen itself causes cancer.

A Tale of Corruption and Deception

The sunscreen industry makes money by selling lotion products that actually contain cancer-causing chemicals. It then donates a portion of that money to the cancer industry through non-profit groups like Cancer Societies which, in turn, run heart-breaking public service ads and charity events such as Relay For Life urging people to donate and use sunscreen to "prevent cancer."

The cancer establishment has retreated from the truth. What began as sincere investigation into the economic root causes of a complex set of 200 different diseases, at the turn of the 20th century, quickly degenerated into a single-minded focus. All cancer societies are now dedicated to funding drug companies to "find the cure" that will never exist, at least not from any mainstream institution.

Devra Davis, one of North America's sharpest epidemiologists "Astonishing alliances between naive or far too clever academics and folks with major economic interests in selling potentially cancerous materials have kept us from figuring out whether or not many modern products affect our chances of developing cancer." She has documented how some of the world's most prominent cancer researchers secretly worked for chemical firms without disclosing these ties when publishing studies.

Davis' work will rob you of any lingering, Disney-like fantasies you might have entertained about the nobility of cancer fundraising campaigns actually doing some good the cancer patients. Please DON'T support American or Canadian Cancer Societies or Relays For Life.

Many grants funding cancer research are supported by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the Melanoma Research Foundation. The NCI is the same federally funded (and privately funded by Big Pharma) organization that promotes mammography via ionizing radiation. In fact they are one of the biggest mammography promoters in the nation. They are directly managed by the biotech sector and typically employ pharmaceutical executives on their boards.

The Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF) is filled with scientific advisory members with conflicts interests statements littering their academic work. The decision makers at MRF are all current or former pharmaceutical executives or board members.

Why Sunscreen Will Never Prevent Cancer And May Cause It

The Sun does not cause cancer. Researchers have concluded that UVA exposure has not contributed to the rise in the incidence of melanoma over the past 30 years. UVA makes up 90 percent of the ultraviolet light spectrum of sunlight.

"Our data refute the only direct evidence that UVA causes melanoma, which is not to say that UVA is harmless," said the study's lead author David Mitchell, Ph.D., professor in M. D. Anderson's Department of Carcinogenesis located at its Science Park -- Research Division in Smithville, Texas. "UVA is just not as dangerous as we thought because it doesn't cause melanoma."

Both UVA and UVB can cause tanning and burning, although UVB does so far more rapidly. UVA, however, penetrates your skin more deeply than UVB.

UVB appears to be protective against melanoma -- or rather, the vitamin D your body produces in response to UVB radiation is protective.
    As written in The Lancet:
    "Paradoxically, outdoor workers have a decreased risk of melanoma compared with indoor workers, suggesting that chronic sunlight exposure can have a protective effect."
    So if UVA and UVB do not cause melanoma, why use sunscreen?
    Skin cancer rates are increasing and the so-called experts are STILL blaming the sun for a problem manufactured right here on earth.

If the sun was REALLY causing skin cancer, and if sunscreen prevented it, we’d be cancer-free by now. We’re already spending less time outside than ever, and wasting billions of dollars a year on needless, dangerous creams and lotions.
    Meanwhile, just a couple of generations ago, we spent far more time out in the sun and ZILCH on sunscreen -- and skin cancer was practically unheard of.

After decades of debate, several governments have failed to set mandatory sunscreen safety standards. Companies are free to make their own decisions on everything from advertising claims to product quality. The underlying message is that sunscreen applications are presently carrying risks that far outweigh any benefit to the public.

Comprehensive scientific reviews indicate that 83% of 785 sunscreen products contain ingredients with significant safety concerns. Only 17% of the products on the market block both UVA and UVB radiation which is the intended purpose by manufacturers of sunscreen, so what's the point? The assessment by the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep database was based on a review of nearly 400 scientific studies, industry models of sunscreen efficacy, and toxicity and regulatory information housed in nearly 60 government, academic, and industry databases.
    At least 50% of products on the market bear claims that are considered "unacceptable" or misleading under sunscreen safety standards. An analysis of marketing claims on hundreds of sunscreen bottles shows that false and misleading marketing claims are common. They give consumers a false sense of security (based on myths) with claims like "all day protection," "mild as water," and "blocks all harmful rays" which are completely untrue, yet are found on bottles. Consumers might assume that, because researchers have implicated ultraviolet light in skin cancer development, sunscreen automatically thwarts skin cancer. They play on this consumer bandwagon of fear and hope on an issue shouldn't even be an issue...blocking the sun!

A review of the technical literature shows that some sunscreen ingredients absorb into the blood, and some are linked to toxic effects. Some release skin-damaging free radicals in sunlight, some act like estrogen and could disrupt hormone systems, several are strongly linked to allergic reactions, and still others may build up in the body or the environment.
    Almost two dozen law suits have been filed against Johnson & Johnson Inc., Schering-Plough Corp., Playtex Products Inc., Tanning Research Laboratories Inc. and Chattem Inc involving some of the most popular brands, including Coppertone, Banana Boat, Hawaiian Tropic, Bullfrog and Neutrogena -- charge that manufacturers inflate claims about sunscreens, lulling consumers into believing their products are safe when they have shown to CAUSE cancer.

Almost half of the 500 most popular sunscreen products may actually increase the speed at which malignant cells develop and spread skin cancer because they contain vitamin A or its derivatives retinol and retinyl palmitate which accelerate tumor growth.

In a year-long study, tumors and lesions developed up to 21 percent faster in lab animals coated in a vitamin A-laced cream than animals treated with a vitamin-free cream, a report by EWG stated based on their analysis of initial findings released by the FDA and the National Toxicology Program,

Based on the strength of the findings by FDA's own scientists, many in the public health community say they can't believe nor understand why the agency hasn't already notified the public of the possible danger.

Scientists have reported that particle size affects the toxicity of zinc oxide, a material widely used in sunscreens. Particles smaller than 100 nanometers are slightly more toxic to colon cells than conventional zinc oxide. Solid zinc oxide was more toxic than equivalent amounts of soluble zinc, and direct particle to cell contact was required to cause cell death. Their study is in ACS' Chemical Research in Toxicology, a monthly journal.

The Environmental Working Group who previously analyzed 15 studies on nanoparticles on sunscreen said that no investigations have ever assessed absorption through damaged skin. Such data is missing “for nearly all of the 17 sunscreen chemicals approved for use in the U.S.” The scientists note that a concern is children accidentally ingesting nano-sized zinc oxide.

Another common and toxic ingredient in sunscreens is titanium dioxide. New research published in ACS' journal, Environmental Science & Technology found that Children may be receiving the highest exposure to nanoparticles of titanium dioxide. The geometry of titanium dioxide (TiO2) based nanofilaments appears to play a crucial role in cytotoxicity having a strong dose-dependent effect on cell proliferation and cell death.

A comprehensive study conducted by researchers at UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer found that titanium dioxide (TiO2) nanoparticles, found in everything from cosmetics to sunscreen to paint to vitamins, caused systemic genetic damage in mice. The TiO2 nanoparticles induced single- and double-strand DNA breaks and also caused chromosomal damage as well as inflammation, all of which increase the risk for cancer.

Vitamin D From The Sun is The Key In Preventing Disease

The scientific evidence, however, shows quite clearly that sunscreen actually promotes cancer by blocking the body's absorption of ultraviolet radiation, which produces vitamin D in the skin. Vitamin D, as recent studies have shown, prevents up to 77 of ALL cancers in women (breast cancer, colon cancer, cervical cancer, lung cancer, brain tumors, multiple myeloma, etc). Meanwhile, the toxic chemical ingredients used in most sunscreen products are actually carcinogenic and have never been safety tested. They get absorbed right through the skin (a porous organ that absorbs most substances it comes into contact with) and enter the bloodstream.

For the past several years, there has been considerable interest in the role vitamin D plays in improving health and preventing disease. Previous finding show that low levels of vitamin D have been directly associated with various forms of cancer and cardiovascular disease. Stephen B. Kritchevsky, PhD, Professor of Internal Medicine and Transitional Science at the Wake Forest School of Medicine found a significant correlation.

"We observed vitamin D insufficiency (defined as blood levels <20 ng/ml), in one third of our study participants. This was associated with nearly a 50 percent increase in the mortality rate in older adults," said Kritchevsky. "Our findings suggest that low levels of vitamin D may be a substantial public health concern for our nation's older adults."

Cedric F. Garland, Dr.P.H., cancer prevention specialist at the Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) and colleagues estimate that 250,000 cases of colorectal cancer and 350,000 cases of breast cancer could be prevented worldwide by increasing intake of vitamin D3, particularly in countries north of the equator. "For the first time, we are saying that 600,000 cases of breast and colorectal cancer could be prevented each year worldwide, including nearly 150,000 in the United States alone," said Garland.

Although vitamin D can be obtained from limited dietary sources and directly from exposure to the sun during the spring and summer months, the combination of poor dietary intake and sun avoidance has created vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency in large proportions of many populations worldwide.

It is known that vitamin D has a wide range of physiological effects and that correlations exist between insufficient amounts of vitamin D and an increased incidence of a number of cancers. These correlations are particularly strong for cancers of the digestive tract, including colon cancer, and certain forms of leukemia.

Spending an average of three hours a day exposed to sunlight can slash the risk of breast cancer by up to 50 percent.

People with higher blood levels of vitamin D live significantly longerthan people who have low blood levels of the vitamin.

A new study from University College London in the UK found that people with higher vitamin D levels had a 43% lower risk of depression, compared to people with vitamin D lower levels.
    Results published in Clinical Nutrition also indicated that the higher vitamin D levels were associated with a 67% lower risk of panic, compared to the lower levels.
    "The high burden of mental and behavioral disorders and concurrent high prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency (<75nmol/l) worldwide (29) highlight the potential importance of our findings," wrote the researchers, led by Jane Maddock from the UCL Institute of Child Health.

People with the highest levels of vitamin D have the lowest risk of skin cancer. Sure, you can get some of that from a pill...but historically, most people have gotten their D straight from the source: the sun, and protecting yourself from it 100 years ago with clothing, cream or anything would likely have been viewed as its own mental health disorder.

How To Make Your Own Non-Toxic Sunscreen

While the sun will not cause cancer, it is not in your best interest to burn your skin. So if you are prone to burning easily, try making your own natural sunscreen to extend your exposure.

New York Times Best selling author, Sophie Uliano of Gorgeously Greenand her new book DO IT GORGEOUSLY, shows you how to make your own non toxic sunscreen in less than 4 minutes.

Please omit zinc oxide from the recipe to make a truly natural and toxic free version of this sunscreen, especially during preparation. Zinc oxide can affect the lungs and reproductive system if inhaled. Replace the zinc oxide with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil which helps increase the sun protection factor (SPF).
    Recipe: (SPF 6-8)
    2 tablespoon Virgin Coconut Oil
    1 tablespoon Shea Butter
    1 tablespoon Avocado Oil
    1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
    1/2 teaspoon Aloe Vera Gel
    Keep in mind that this recipe will not allow you to stay in the sun for hours without burning, even if you have darker skin. If you have pale skin and are prone to burning in very short periods, this recipe will only modestly protect you when UV rays are at their highest strength. Intermittent periods spent in the shade are highly recommended to balance the UV dose you receive.

For those that tan well, this lotion will give you an excellent color and glow if used daily while spending a minimum of 30 minutes in the sun.

Although it not waterproof, it is water resistant if applied thoroughly and spread evenly. In direct sunlight, you must reapply a thin layer of the lotion every half hour for optimal results.

Spread the word: Please promote the use of non-toxic sunscreens.

Marco Torres is a research specialist, writer and consumer advocate for healthy lifestyles. He holds degrees in Public Health and Environmental Science and is a professional speaker on topics such as disease prevention, environmental toxins and health policy.
  • 06-06-2013 11:10 AM
    gillenator
    Keep bringing it! :D
  • 06-08-2013 09:42 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

As long as it is clinical substantiation. Thousands of studies take place but most of them result in opinions not verification. :rolleyes:

Dr. Keene responded:
    While I do not have the the study that proves a linear relationship to serum T and hair follicle T or DHT--the original association of T and DHT to hair loss occurred because of the finding that giving T to men who had been castrated (eunuchs) resulted in hair loss--and among those without the ability to convert T to DHT (those genetically born with an absence of 5 alpha R) there is no AGA. It seems likely, even though the study has not been done yet....that increasing serum levels of T results in increases in follicle levels of DHT, however, there are probably other factors that effect this, including genetic sensitivity to ones' own T or DHT (ie AR-CAG repeats) and the intrinsic ability of the hair follicles to produce DHT from cholesterol--we don't know what drives this. It reminds of the argument that insurance companies used to make--"there is no proof that prophylactic mastectomies reduce cancer in predisposed women--really? How can a breast cancer occur when there is no breast tissue?--eventually the proof was there. Logic suggests there is a relationship, and I think we will prove this point, but the study has not been done--and there are likely other factors that will be involved to determine whether T supplements have the same effect in all AGA patients.... I hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    Dr. Keene
  • 06-08-2013 10:10 AM
    topcat
    It reminds of the argument that insurance companies used to make--"there is no proof that prophylactic mastectomies reduce cancer in predisposed women--really? How can a breast cancer occur when there is no breast tissue?--eventually the proof was there. Logic suggests there is a relationship, and I think we will prove this point, but the study has not been done

I find many people that work in the medical field to be very scary. Maybe brain amputations to avoid any gilomas would be in order as it would save others as well.
  • 06-08-2013 07:12 PM
    greatjob!
    While I agree that many sunscreens contain many harmful chemicals and that vitamin D is vital in the prevention of many diseases (there are countless studies currently going on studying vitamin D and diseases and cancer prevention) saying the UV rays are not a cause of cancer is completely false.

UV rays cause damage to DNA. Not sure of your level of knowledge in biology so forgive me if you feel I am talking down, I am not, just trying to explain. DNA is composed of a phosphodiester backbone and four nucleotides that make up the entire genetic code--thymine, Cytosine, Adenine, and Guanine. When your cells are subjected to UV radiation the bonds of the pyrimidine nucleotide bases (thymine and Cytosine) form covalent bonds with one another when they are paired next to each other. These bonds are commonly referred to as thymine dimers and they create big problems when it comes time for the cell to replicate. These dimers lead to mutations and if these mutations occur in a gene such as an oncogene or a tumor suppressor gene they will lead to cancer. Skin cancer is one of the most common cancers because skin cells are one of the few cells in the body that are constantly replicating and also because every second you are in the sunlight 50-100 of these thymine dimers form. Have you every wondered why your skin turns red and is warm to the touch after a sun-burn? It is not because you have actually been burned, it is your immune system disposing of all of the cells that underwent programmed cell death (apoptosis) due to the formation of thymine dimers. Vitamin D is very important, however you don't need prolonged exposure to sunlight to produce adequate amounts.

On a side not your comments about x-rays I mostly agree with. Ionizing radiation that you are subjected to from an x-ray is very bad. That's why they typically only recommend getting x-rays once a year unless the risk is justified. The guy earlier talking about the doctor that said the x-ray machine was no worse than going out in the sun is a moron and I would find a new doctor. If you want to talk about things that are going to increase the incidence of cancer just go to the airport. I have refused to go through the body scanners every time and instead opt for a pat down. Those things are so dangerous for frequent flyers, they are already subjected to elevated levels of radiation when they fly and now they are x-rayed before every flight, not good.
  • 06-09-2013 04:23 AM
    topcat
    The body produces melanin which dissipates 99.9&#37; of UV radiation as heat which prevents the formation of skin cancer. When the body is fed what it needs it has the ability to heal and protect itself under many circumstances. A good example would be the many foods that provide high anti viral activity which protect against cancers that are viral in origin.

I will take my chances with the Sun over a cell phone or microwave any day.

One can also work towards constantly trying to increase the length of their own telomeres which I do on a daily basis and you can include increasing the production of vitamin D at the top of that list. I would be willing to test the ability of my body to perform and resist disease against those who fear the sun any time and that is what it really comes down to I believe more in showing me the results and not so much of someone just claiming expertise.

But I don't know maybe people hundreds of years ago had access to better sunscreens then we have today I wonder what they were.

A CT scam is equivalent to 500 chest x-rays and the body has no way of protecting itself from this but for most something like this causes little fear through conditioning but heaven forbid someone should go outside in the sun and fresh air..........that's crazy talk.
  • 06-09-2013 10:09 AM
    topcat
    Below is a cut and paste from Mercola which whom I share views with through my own experience. Not only are my c- reactive protein and homocysteine levels low they are extremely low.

In one study of more than 2,000 women, those with higher vitamin D levels were found to have fewer aging-related changes in their DNA, as well as lowered inflammatory responsesiii. Women with higher levels of vitamin D are more likely to have longer telomeres, and vice versa. This means that people with higher levels of vitamin D may actually age more slowly than people with lower levels of vitamin D.

Your leukocyte telomere length (LTL) is a predictor for aging related diseases. As you age, your LTL's become shorter, but, if you suffer from chronic inflammation, your telomeres decrease in length much faster, because your body's inflammatory response accelerates leukocyte turnover. Your vitamin D concentrations also decrease with age, whereas your C-reactive protein (a mediator of inflammation) increases. This inverse double-whammy increases your overall risk of developing autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.

The good news is that vitamin D is a potent inhibitor of your body's inflammatory response, and by reducing inflammation, you diminish your turnover of leukocytes, effectively creating a positive chain reaction that can help protect you against a variety of diseases. In essence, it protects your body from the deterioration of aging. Researchers have found that subsets of leukocytes have receptors for the active form of vitamin D (D3), which allows the vitamin to have a direct effect on these cells. This may also explain the specific connection between vitamin D and autoimmune disease.

The absolute best way to optimize your vitamin D levels would be through safe sun exposure. I am fully aware that many will not be able to implement this recommendation due to lifestyle constraints, but I feel I would be reprehensibly negligent if I did not emphasize how superior photo vitamin D is compared to oral. So for those who are able to, I have provided the following video that helps you find the times exposing your skin to the sun will actually produce vitamin D in your location.
  • 06-10-2013 05:31 AM
    35YrsAfter
    topcat:

Could you send me the link. My whole family is into nutrition and I would like to see the video. There is really a LOT of great alternative information available that I have personally benefited from, so people should keep an open mind:
    chuck@forhair.com

www.forhair.com
  • 06-10-2013 09:36 AM
    gillenator
    :D
  • 07-12-2013 08:02 AM
    topcat
    Here is a simple explanation of why sunscreens are cancer in a bottle outside of the fact of the chemicals themselves. Of course I don’t expect most of those here to agree but always good to get as many views as possible.

The Sun’s radiation that does the most damage is the UVA rays and the rays that are most health promoting are the UVB rays. When you start applying this stuff to your body you block out all the UVB rays but not so much the UVA rays which is very bad as this promotes most of the skin cancers. Something else good to know it that most of the UVB rays are emitted between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM which is when you want to be out in the Sun with no sunscreen. But of course if you haven’t built up the melanin in your skin than that might be a bad idea.

It’s the UVB rays that causes the body to produce massive amounts of Vitamin D which protects your from cancer, lowers cholesterol, builds bones, raises testosterone etc. All good stuff just like it was intended.

So in essence when you go out into only the early morning Sun or very late afternoon Sun with your sunscreen on you become a cancer producing machine. Now you know why you see all this skin cancer and cancers in general or at least one of the reasons.

This information might save just one person.
  • 07-12-2013 10:12 AM
    topcat
    If we were to ask the sunscreen manufacturers why skin cancer continues to explode they would simply tell you that you are not buying enough of their product. You need to apply more and apply it more often………lol………..funny how that works. But here is the thing if what I have written is true then the guy producing the sunscreen could very well be setting up yourself and your son, daughter, niece or nephew up for skin cancer. Is it possible that he already knows this is the case? It could very well be as usually the manufacturer is very knowledgeable about their product and anything associated with their product. Which would be the greater good here? Depends on where you are standing if it is someone who has experienced cancer or is worried about a loved one getting the disease you would probably want to know, if you are selling the sunscreen well that gets a little hairy and understandably so.

Would be nice if we didn’t have to research every little decision we make but sometimes that seems to be the case at least for the big ones. Problem is we sometimes don’t know they are big decisions and only realize that in hindsight. Applying sunscreen seems like a simple decision but maybe it’s not.
  • 07-16-2013 02:44 PM
    gillenator
    The protective ozone layer has also been compromised from all of the pollution that our world continues to dump into the atmosphere.

There is a rise in just about every form of cancer imaginable. Very contaminated environment that we live in no matter what we consume or breathe.

You would think that the world would see an urgent need to stop the contamination but just lots of talk and very little action.
  • 07-16-2013 04:06 PM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    If we were to ask the sunscreen manufacturers why skin cancer continues to explode they would simply tell you that you are not buying enough of their product. You need to apply more and apply it more often………lol………..funny how that works. But here is the thing if what I have written is true then the guy producing the sunscreen could very well be setting up yourself and your son, daughter, niece or nephew up for skin cancer. Is it possible that he already knows this is the case? It could very well be as usually the manufacturer is very knowledgeable about their product and anything associated with their product. Which would be the greater good here? Depends on where you are standing if it is someone who has experienced cancer or is worried about a loved one getting the disease you would probably want to know, if you are selling the sunscreen well that gets a little hairy and understandably so.

Would be nice if we didn’t have to research every little decision we make but sometimes that seems to be the case at least for the big ones. Problem is we sometimes don’t know they are big decisions and only realize that in hindsight. Applying sunscreen seems like a simple decision but maybe it’s not.

I grew up in the San Fernando valley in California. My dad always cut my hair short as a kid and I kept it that way until I was 10 or 11. When I was younger, It seemed that I could spend a good part of the day out in the sun and not get burned. I don't think my parents ever bought sunscreen when I was a kid. It wasn't until I was over 14 that I started getting sunburned. There may have been a change to the earth's protective layer that's responsible for that. Not sure. These days I can't spend more than an hour outdoors without getting burned. I do believe that some sun exposure is healthy and people these days are extreme in their attitude with regards to avoiding the sun altogether.

The news about sunscreen is troubling. I read an article several years ago related to dermatologists rethinking their position on sun exposure when patients are having melanoma removed from areas of their body that had relatively little sun.

www.forhair.com
    chuck@forhair.com
  • 07-17-2013 01:54 PM
    gillenator
    Good post greatjob. It will be interesting to see if the frequent travelers who subject themselves to these ongoing xray screenings will develop a variety of cancers in the future.
  • 07-18-2013 05:12 AM
    35YrsAfter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    If you want to talk about things that are going to increase the incidence of cancer just go to the airport. I have refused to go through the body scanners every time and instead opt for a pat down. Those things are so dangerous for frequent flyers, they are already subjected to elevated levels of radiation when they fly and now they are x-rayed before every flight, not good.

I agree.

• 07-18-2013 11:53 AM
    gillenator
    And it's very doubtful that the govt would ever share the actual exposure risks associated with these screenings!

This is where good ole' common sense applies!
  • 07-20-2013 08:28 AM
    topcat
    I would suggest reading at least 20 books or more on sunshine, vitamin D, and sunscreens and you might very well walk away with a different point of view.
  • 07-24-2013 01:11 PM
    gillenator
    There is definitely a lot of info out there but it does not take rocket science to figure out the potential damage that can be done. ;)
  • 07-24-2013 04:30 PM
    topcat
    Okay I don’t want to beat a dead horse here but most people are simply misinformed. Anyone that knows a subject extremely well knows that most of what is printed or repeated outside of well researched books is often incorrect. More potential damage is being done in other forms as one only needs to look at this massive amount of obesity all around us.

I was at the airport the other day and I counted two people that seemed to have had sun exposure and this is O’Hare airport one of the busiest. About 90% of the people could only be described as obese and out of shape with a high percentage having tattoos and cell phones glued to their ear. But you see that is what has become normal. In fact I felt a little out of place that is how backwards our society has become.

I’m 50 and in the best shape of my life both physically and mentally. I do not get sick nor do I have any aches and pains. I do not need any types of medications prescription or over the counter. I have not been to a doctor in almost 30 years outside of ht and sunshine is part of that lifestyle…..what about you?

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant
02-26-2009 02:36 PM
Last Post By gisecit34
Today 03:16 AM
How do project management consulting firms manage?
10-12-2023 06:15 AM
Last Post By annastark
05-09-2024 09:19 PM
How we do hairline femininization with interview Dr. Lindsey
05-09-2024 07:33 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
05-09-2024 07:33 AM