• 11-09-2012 08:20 PM
    teenager
    Teenager Seeking For Advice
    Hello, I am experiencing hair loss at the crown, temples, and hair line - the typical MPB areas. However, I suspect that I am also a diffuse thinner, the sides of my head have definitely decreased in volume. My father has grown up with thin, fine hair since his early twenties and is experiencing MPB with primarily hair loss at the crown and a receding hair line.

I started to notice my hair loss about a year ago, however, until four months ago the hair loss was no where as severe. I visited a dermatologist and he could only pointed out my evident hair loss but did not prescribe me anything. I went back again to ask for a prescription for Propecia but was declined as it may result in cancer, so he reluctantly gave me a prescription to Minoxidil.

Is it possible to obtain Propecia or Fin elsewhere, I have a months supply of Minoxidil but would much rather commit to the use of Fin.

Thank you in advance,

Confused Teenager
  • 11-09-2012 09:08 PM
    rdawg
    How old are you would be the first question.

It's a bit risky to go on fin at say 16 years old. Usually recommended to wait until you're 18-19 and almost fully grown etc.
  • 11-13-2012 04:21 PM
    teenager
    Sorry for replying so late, but I'm 17. I just got minoxidil today, should I be aware of anything before I start?
  • 11-13-2012 04:37 PM
    chrisis
    I'd advise using the minoxidil as a starting point. I suffered sides on Propecia that I'm still not over after 6-7 months.

Minoxidil has really thickened up my hair, so it's a great option before jumping into chemically alerting your hormonal system.

The one thing I'd warn you of is the shed. There is a possibility you will go through a shed in the medicated area for a few months, and the result of using minoxidil will not be clear for at least a year. Use the foam if you can get it, it's a lot easier to apply.
  • 11-13-2012 05:50 PM
    Dan26
    At 17, please do not use finasteride. Take Chris's advice, start with Rogaine. It may tide you over for a few years until you can take fin or even better things become available.
  • 11-13-2012 07:52 PM
    teenager
    Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I was only able to get my hands on the liquid form, but it is quite expensive $120 for 6 weeks, is this the average price? I will note the shed and try not to freak out!
  • 11-13-2012 08:43 PM
    rdawg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teenager View Post
    Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I was only able to get my hands on the liquid form, but it is quite expensive $120 for 6 weeks, is this the average price? I will note the shed and try not to freak out!

That's a ridiculous price. You should be able to get minoxidil foam or liquid for about 30-50 bucks for a 3-4 month supply
  • 11-13-2012 08:55 PM
    inspects
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teenager View Post

If you received a prescription from your doctor for Minoxidil their ripping you off at the pharmacy, like others said, its $30-$50 bucks for three month supply over the counter, if you paid a pharmacist to package it and hand it to you, well you got shellacked.
  • 11-14-2012 03:52 PM
    chrisis
    You definitely need to get it somewhere cheaper. I got the foam, 6 months supply for £50, that's like $80.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Benefits of Resveratrol for hair and health
05-05-2022 01:46 AM
Last Post By felixten
Yesterday 11:59 PM
1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
03-27-2024 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
03-27-2024 08:38 AM