Lab test results

Printable View

• 04-12-2009 07:39 AM
    Tselani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tselani View Post
    The dermotologist diagnosed me with androgenetic alopecia and told me to use Rogaine.

My blood tests results were normal, except for my TSH level. Depending on which scale one uses, I'm either in the normal range (barely), or I lean towards hyperthyroidism. I have to go back next week for another blood test, because my dr. thinks the TSH level was a fluke.

Haven't quite absorbed everything yet, but it certainly is devastating to feel so great and know that I'm definitely going to look old WAY before my time. . .

But, I am going to fight it as much as I can.

Tse

My second blood test came out "perfectly normal" for TSH, testosterone, DHEA, etc. I've asked for a copy so I can review.

Hopefully, the Rogaine will have some positive impact.
  • 04-13-2009 04:15 PM
    Wanda
    Tse - just curious as to how the rogaine is working?? Have you had a lot of shedding or seeing any new hairs yet? I am thinking of trying it . . . but wanted to get some input. Some folks have great success with it and others don't see much improvement, but hey, it's worth the try. Hope you are well!!
  • 04-13-2009 05:43 PM
    Wanda
    Have you noticed any improvement yet in your hair from the HRT? As far as your estradiol goes, are you taking a pill or using a patch? I am entering about the 9th week on HRT and I really haven't noticed much improvement in my hair, except it has really helped with the scalp sensations(and of course I don't have hot flashes anymore!!). I wonder how long it takes to see improvement. Did your doctor say? I have read that it really takes higher doses of estrogen(like 1.5 mg) to improve your hair, but not sure about the safety. I have an appt in early May with a doctor who will most likely prescribe the spiro. It seems to help a lot of people. Let me know about your progress.
  • 04-13-2009 05:48 PM
    Tselani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    Tse - just curious as to how the rogaine is working?? Have you had a lot of shedding or seeing any new hairs yet? I am thinking of trying it . . . but wanted to get some input. Some folks have great success with it and others don't see much improvement, but hey, it's worth the try. Hope you are well!!

The dermatologist said it would take me 4-6 months to see any results; On other sites where I've read success stories, many said to give it a YEAR. So. I am going to be patient, keep applying the Rogaine, and re-assess in 6 months. The 4-6 months timeline makes logical sense to me. Since I was only diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't expect to see any new hairs at this time :)

Sunday when I washed my hair I noticed more hair in the drain than usual, so maybe that's a sign it's working. At least, that's what I've been reading. And Sunday was the FIRST time this happened to me. I don't consider myself as losing piles of hair at a time; Rather, the hair in my drain has been what it's been all my life.

I will say this. I can't go every other day washing my hair now. The daily washing and using the Rogaine foam gives my hair more volume and bounce on the top where it's thinning. Doesn't look too good if I skip a day shampooing. Since you have to apply the stuff to a dry head, I've really had to be creative with my styling in the morning. Though, my hair FEELS better without all the styling products I used to use.

I guess the question to ask your dr is, can using the Rogaine all over be BAD for your hair? If the answer is no, then you have every right to try it.

I'm going into this with the hope that I'll see new growth in 6 months, and if I don't, then I'm going to re-group and move onto the next thing -- more doctors.

I just think the answer is out there, and I'm not giving up yet.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Tse
  • 04-15-2009 05:47 PM
    Wanda
    Tse - good to hear from you. I always thought the problem with minoxidil would be that you had to have a dry scalp to apply it. That would be hard for me with my naturally curly hair. I always apply the hair products while wet; otherwise, my hair would be extremely frizzy!! I had an interesting visit today with a dermatologist. This is a doctor whom I have seen off and on for over 20 years. We have the same birthday and I remember years ago I wanted a "sun spot" removed from my neck(which has now disappeared), and he told me that no one would ever notice it . . . because when they looked at me, the first thing they would notice is my HAIR!!! OUCH!! I have had 3 compliments this week on my hair . . . it is truly amazing. I just think if these people only knew. Anyway, back to the dermatologist appt. I had a mole removed back in October and had to go back in December for more removal and ended up with 11 stitches in my thigh!! In December, I told him that I wanted to talk about "my hair", but he said we would have to talk later. Well, today, I had my follow up visit and I did ask him to check out my hair. He looked all through my hair(as much as he could with the toppik and hairspray) and did not think I had a problem. OMG!! He is actually a great doctor and he went through this long spill about hairloss(he writes everything down for you as he speaks). He said I see normal healthy scalp . . . which I responded that 6 months ago, you would have to dig through my hair to find my scalp!! He said the new hairs along my frontal hairline indicated that I was having new hair growth(but they have been there off and on since the hairloss started). He said that the pattern of hair loss was not female pattern from what he saw. He seems to think that I have had some type of inflammatory hairloss and that perhaps I have reached the end of the cycle(????). I told him about all the wierd sensations I have in my scalp. Anyway, he wants me to try Luxiq for 30 days. He said no Rogaine at this point . . . so keep your fingers crossed for me that he is right!! He said if it is inflammatory and we clear it up, my hair should start growing back in . . .
    He also told me to stay off the internet!! Ha, ha . . . I hope things are going well for you and I am truly interested in how the rogaine works. I would probably have to cut my hair much shorter to be able to follow the routine. When I wash my hair, I also "scrunch" and go(after my hair products), but I scrunch while damp and blow drying(with a diffuser on cool air). However, after the visit today, I guess you have to be about bald for a doctor to think you have a problem!!
  • 04-15-2009 06:08 PM
    Tselani
    Well, Miss Wanda! That sounds like really good news! I have a friend whose hair is like yours. . .but she painstakingly straightens it. And her hair is thick, beautiful, and naturally curly.

Keep me posted on the Luxiq!

Tse
  • 04-18-2009 07:01 AM
    Colleen
    Wanda and Tse, I read your posts re: HRT and your lab tests. I'm 48, and have been to various drs to figure out my recent hair loss. I have been on bioidentical HRT for about 3 years. My body can't seem to get enough estrogen, & my dr has had to increase it several times. I had a terrible shed about 3 years ago when my estradiol levels were undetectable. The hair grew back in, but when I started using a dab of testosterone cream here & there the past 6 months, I began losing like crazy again. I discontinued the cream about 2 months ago, and am hoping the shedding is coming to an end. BTW, I also had those awful scalp sensations right about the time the recent shed began, horrible! I'm also anemic, my ferritin levels are only FIVE....and I'm being treated by a hematologist with IV iron infusion weekly. On top of that, I'm borderline hypothyroid and have a return visit to an endocrinologist next week.

I feel your pain, I always had long beautiful hair, and I hate that I can see parts of my scalp. Styling has become difficult and it's depressing to say the least. Wanda, when is your appt with Dr. Redmond? I would love to see him, but am trying to work with my current doctors for an answer. I have his book and read from it daily. I just want my hair back and hope that this will resolve as my prior hair loss did. Good luck to you!
  • 04-20-2009 05:11 PM
    Wanda
    Colleen - hi!! My appointment with Dr. Redmond is on Saturday, May 2. He only sees patients on Friday, Saturday, and Monday(or maybe that is just "hair" patients???). I am looking forward to my visit, and I will report to you afterwards. The nice thing for me is that his office is only 4 blocks north of where my younger son lives in NY!! He is getting married this summer, and he knows how concerned I have been with my hair, although he doesn't see that much wrong with it . . . I did share my appt plans with my family doctor. I took the lab work I needed to him, and he took care of it for me. He was very excited for me(even though he thinks my hair looks fine too) because he knows how concerned and stressed out I have been over this hairloss. I have seen just about every type of doctor(gyno, neuro, dermo, endo, and family), and no one seems to understand the hormone related hair issues. They look at your blood tests and say all is within normal limits . . . the only thing out of whack are my hormones and iron(which is on the low end of normal). My gyno put me on estradiol and prometrium. He seemed to think it would help my hair. I am beginning to have hope because I am not losing as much hair now and I do see some new growth. I still get those wierd scalp sensations sometimes, but honestly, they are not as bad since I started the HRT. Some days, I don't have any at all, which is a wonderful
    feeling!!! I use toppik on my "part" areas, and it helps conceal your scalp. I am so used to not seeing any scalp that seeing even a little makes me self consious. I am amazed at how I notice everyone's hair now. A lot of my girl students(teens) show a lot of scalp, and I guess that is really normal for them. But we all know what is normal for us regardless of what someone else thinks. Anyway, keep me posted on your progress!! Best wishes for lots of hair!!
  • 04-26-2009 05:32 PM
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    I recently saw an endo who checked my DHEA-S and testosterone levels. She informed me that my testosterone was less than 0.1(she said undetectable) and my DHEA was 23 on a 26 - 200 ug/dL scale. She referred me to a gyn dr who does natural/bio homones. She said that she thought I needed to raise my hormone levels. She also told me that she thought my low levels could also be a contributing factor in my hair loss(no underarm hair, sparse on legs and pubic area, and hair loss on scalp). My question is if my testosterone and DHEA are so low, then could they possibly be a reason for the massive loss of hair on my scalp? Or do I need a wee bit of testosterone? This is all so confusing, but I have had every test in the world and everything has been normal except for iron and ferritin(she checked my ferritin levels at my request - it is now at 48). At this point, I am willing to do whatever to get my hair to start regrowing . . . I am 58 years old and until 8 months ago, I had a massive head of hair . . . everyone always commented on how much hair I had. Today, I did not want to even leave the house, although I know that no one but me would notice. Sometimes I just wish I could go to sleep and not wake up . . . Please help with advice!! My son is getting married in June and I just hope I still have enough hair not to be embarrassed . . . I never knew how crippling and cruel this could be. Sometimes I wonder if I should have started monoxil(sp??), but no female in my family has hair loss!! I do not think it is genetic. I just want some answers . . . Thank you!!!!!

I hear women told that testosterone is low or that testosterone will help their hair frequently. Whoever says such things knows nothing about endocrinology. Anyone who looks at men's hair compared to women's can see what testosterone does to hair -- it makes it fall out! I see many women whose hair was made much worse by being put on testosterone.

As I explain in detail in my book, It's Your Hormones, normal lab values do not mean that hair loss is not hormonal or that it cannot be treated. If estrogen is slightly low, or the hair follicles are too sensitive to testosterone, hair loss results. This can be treated effectively for most affected women.
  • 04-30-2009 06:19 PM
    Colleen
    Wanda, good luck with your appt with Dr. Redmond this weekend, please keep me posted on how it goes! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!! :D

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM