X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbtadmin
    Administrator
    • Sep 2008

Restoration Robotics ARTAS System

Robotic Assisted Hair Transplants - Will Restoration Robotics' ARTAS System Revolutionize Surgical Hair Restoration?

• RichardDawkins
    Inactive
    • Jan 2011

I really hope Spencer will Interview Gho some time soon ;-) i think this is much more interesting at this point in time ^^

Comment

• amadeus
      • Dec 2008

I actually think that this is very compelling. It looks light years ahead of the Neograft especially if it extracts the follicles effortlessly and precisely. When will other IAHRS doctors be offering this or is it still in the experimental stage since it was only approved for certain types of hair?

Comment

• blowmeup
        • Nov 2008

I think this is very interesting too. I know that these future treatments will someday be available, but this is what we have now and it sounds very promising. If doctors can remove these grafts more rapidly and have less transection rates, then FUE hair transplants will end up being better overall and the costs will be driven down. I hope.

Comment

• Jotronic
          • Nov 2008

I was initially against this but the more I think about it the more I think that this holds potential. The thought of a robot performing such delicate surgery is uncomfortable to me. However, when you consider the fact that robots are now performing heart surgery the application for hair seems less offensive. I'm sure there are details we're not aware of though. I wonder how much input the surgeon has in customizing the approach for each patient. The ability to input specific parameters for the application on an individual basis is hopefully present so that there is not a "one size fits all" approach.
          www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Comment

• tbtadmin
            Administrator
            • Sep 2008

Restoration Robotic’s ARTAS System In Action - Exclusive First Look

This is exclusive video provided to The Bald Truth of the ARTAS System in action. The ability to accurately identify the size, shape, exit angle and hair shaft diameter of each follicular unit while eliminating physician fatigue during the extraction process is what sets this latest FDA cleared device apart from its predecessors. We will be posting more exclusive video in the coming weeks along with more in-depth analysis of the possible benefits or drawbacks of this physician guided robotic FUE extraction tool.

It’s important to remember that the final outcome of all surgical hair restoration is dependant upon the skill and artistry of the hair transplant surgeon and their staff. If you choose to have an FUE procedure with a clinic who utilizes any type of FUE extraction machine, make sure that you verify that they are recommended by The American Hair Loss Association and the IAHRS, and that your surgeon has a proven track record of consistent superior results.

Comment

• blowmeup
              • Nov 2008

That's very cool video! So it looks like the follicles just pop out after they are extracted. What size punch is being used and how many grafts can be extracted in one sitting?

Comment

• Jotronic
                • Nov 2008

My question is about the customization of the approach. In other words, is the punch a standard size or can it be modified for smaller or larger punches on the fly?

Also, the previously stated issue that the software has in recognizing blonde or white hair can easily be addressed with a temporary hair dye. Because the donor area is shaved during the procedure, to facilitate the extractions, the hair can be shaved down again a week or two after the procedure to remove the dyed portion of the hair. At this point the only part of the hair follicles that are dyed will be on the tips anyway.
                www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

Comment

• Sara Wasserbauer, MD
                  • Dec 2008

How many?

Ah, I was hoping someone would ask! I hold the current record for grafts in a single session at a little over 1700. I also hold the record for lowest transection rate in a case over 1000 grafts at 3.2%...

Considering I am one of only three people who has ever had a chance to operate one of these machines, these records have little or no meaning and will likely fall like the proverbial house of cards the minute these robots come into wide use. However, until then, I will wear my badge proudly!

Also, the machine I have is fully customizable (any parameter you can think of) but I have a prototype so I cannot speak to what the final production version will be like. Hope that helps answer the questions!

Comment

• RichardDawkins
                    Inactive
                    • Jan 2011

INTERESTING indeed

Maybe this device could somehow simulate what Gho is doing right now, just out of curiosity. If this would work consistent and also regenerate the Donor, i would say Jackpot

Comment

• Jotronic
                      • Nov 2008

Dr. Wasserbauer,

Thank you for chiming in. Can you answer specifically about the options for punch sizes?
                      www.HassonandWong.com

Comment

• Alan Bauman, MD
                        IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
                        • Nov 2008

Robotic FUE

Spencer and Dr. Wasserbauer,

Very exciting! I loved the video of the "robot in action." I was kind of surprised that the robot did not actually remove the grafts from the skin, since this kind of tech has been available for a while using suction (e.g. NeoGraft). Is that coming?

Careful removal of FUE grafts using proper technique and instrumentation is essential to avoid damaging them if you're not using suction. When we quote NeoGraft extraction rates, we include the time it takes to actually remove the grafts from the scalp as well, not just the incisions around the follicular unit.

I found myself flipping back and forth between the ARTAS robotic FUE video and my NeoGraft extraction video...

Can't wait to put man against machine...!

Just a reminder to all hair transplant patients... 'getting grafts' is really a very small part of a well-executed, natural-looking hair transplant procedure and an even smaller part of a long-term hair loss treatment plan. Sometimes patients (and docs, too!) get caught up in the tech and forget that 'where the rubber meets the road' in hair transplantation is Hairline Planning, Design & Execution.
                        So far, the only "art" in the hair transplant robot is in its name.

Seriously, though, I can't wait to take it for a test drive and see if it will help us to better help our patients! :-)

Regards,
                        Alan J. Bauman M.D.
                        Alan J. Bauman, MD
                        Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
                        View my IAHRS Profile
                        Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons
                        My website: http://www.baumanmedical.com

Comment

• Winston
                          • Mar 2009

Judging from the video it looks to me like there might be some small amount of suction being used to separate the grafts from the scalp. I’m assuming if the graft is lightly pulled with tweezers that there should be no damage to them, but I’m no doctor

I do like the idea that the system can calculate the angles of the hair and the diameter of the grafts etc.. Seems very high tech.

Comment

• Sean
                            • Jan 2011

2500 ARTAS BY Dr. Rahal

I read that Adamo Papa had 2500 grafts extracted by ARTAS today by Dr. Rahal. Lets see how it looks like in the months ahead. He is willing to do continious updates to show donor and growth from ARTAS.

This article just posted and gives more info: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/...578/story.html

Comment

• fitness-man
                              • May 2011

lol..that picture in that article looks all to familiar...

Comment

Working...