• 06-09-2011 11:51 AM
    Tired_of_the_BS
    I'm only replying because you quoted me, so if that was inadvertent, please disregard my message.:)

I have not had a FUE procedure done, so I can't speak to it entirely, though I have had close friends who have. One friend I know had his done at Shapiro, and from what I could tell (from looking at his hair in person - not pictures over the Internet), they did an amazing job...top-notch. As with everything in life, there are people who are good at a given task and people who are not. It doesn't matter if you are a mechanic or a lawyer or a hair transplant doctor; some people butcher what they try to do, and others have an artist's touch. Some clinics have multiple doctors, and some of them are great and some are blah. You might want to ask the guy at the gym where he got his work done. Same goes with FUE and Strip procedures...there are doctors that are good, and there are doctors that leave something to be desired.

Now, it appears you have two concerns: the donor area, and the hairline. Those are actually two very different concerns... and the clinic you go to should be good at both aspects, regardless of whether they do FUE or Strip. I had a strip procedure, and you can't even see the "scar" on me. That's because the doctor who took out the strip and sewed me up did the procedure the way it is supposed to be done...using a plastic surgery type stitching job, and not just sewing me together. Also, she was actually good at the procedure...some try it and fail...leaving a visible scar. Same thing with FUE, some doctor have the touch, some don't. If done well, there should be no noticeable scaring of the donor areas.

Now, on to hairlines:
    Some doctors/and or technicians are artists, some are not. A lot of folks try to quantify the thing by saying: "I use two and three plugs in the back of the hairline, and ones in the front." My response is that that is just a starting point...just what you should try to be doing in the first place. The follow up question is if the doctor can pull it off...along with the other things, like hairline design, hair placement, slice/cut size, etc. Figuring out the shape of a hairline is extremely important...there is a science to it. and once that is carefully figured out, don't make any last minute changes! if you do, you will most-likely be putting the same amount of hair over a larger area - resulting in bad density.:eek:

Finally, genetics and ethnicity may play a role in how your body heals. Some folks scar easily from little scratches, others can come back from a lot of abuse. Make sure you discuss this factor with your doctor/clinic. It may pay off to do a little test area before going full-bore.

Anyway, I'm just trying to give you the benefit of my research in determining where to go. Best of luck with your search.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylus187 View Post
    Im a little apprehensive about the procedure. I saw a guy in my gym the other day, he clearly had an fue procedure. It was horrible looking. Im very concerned with the fue donor area, as I wear my hair on a number 1 fade. Im just really nervous at how natural my results would look. "Is it worse to recede a little bit, or have fake looking hair"?????

• 06-09-2011 12:40 PM
    Tired_of_the_BS
    I should also mention, let the clinic handle the injection of pain meds into your scalp as much as they see fit...those meds appear to reduce swelling and bleeding, and will not only help the procedure go faster, but will help the hair plugs stay in. Some people are irrationally afraid of needles and just want the clinic to "hurry up and finish" without new injections during the procedure...this is stupid and sissy. It's an investment, deal with it for one day for good long-term results. Even a good doctor can have issues when a patient is a sissy baby-crying irrational mess. :cool:
  • 06-09-2011 03:23 PM
    Thinning@30
    Quote:

Im a little apprehensive about the procedure. I saw a guy in my gym the other day, he clearly had an fue procedure. It was horrible looking. Im very concerned with the fue donor area, as I wear my hair on a number 1 fade. Im just really nervous at how natural my results would look. "Is it worse to recede a little bit, or have fake looking hair"?????
    I am curious, what was it about the guy's head that was horrible looking? Can you be specific? Was it hypopigmented scars, unnatural graft placement, poor coverage, or something else entirely? Do you think the guy had fully healed and was past the "ugly duckling" phase? I just want to know, because I am considering FUE myself and I want to be completely aware of anything that might go wrong.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant
02-26-2009 02:36 PM
Last Post By gisecit34
Today 03:19 AM
Surgeons in SE Asia (Thailand)
10-20-2018 10:30 AM
by martino
Last Post By EFab