• 04-13-2012 11:59 AM
    mikeswick
    6 Attachment(s)
    Am I going bald?! 23 years old
    Hey guys, my dad told me he thought I was thinning and going bald about 3 months ago and ever since then I been kind of wondering if I was. No one else said anything about it, and then I took pics of the top my head and some said I was thinning, others said it was nothing to worry about. Here are some pics after I got a haircut:

P.S. I have naturally wavy hair, and if you are balding, does it look worse if you grow your hair out, and would I be able to recognize it more, if I was indeed balding?

Thanks lemme know what you guys think.
  • 04-13-2012 12:39 PM
    5th picture tells everything.... yeah you're going bald. Welcome to the club.

good news:
    current treatments are cheap and they can regrow/maintain your hair for the next 5-10 years.

even better news:
    Much more effective treatments will be available in less than 5 years.
  • 04-13-2012 12:39 PM
    oOKawaiiOo
    Maybe.....
    Well, I cant really tell. If your dad noticed it.....yeah..... you better start thinking of some treatments.
  • 04-13-2012 12:53 PM
    Still-Researching
    You hairline looks like a nice maturing hairline - wish I had that one :-)

If you want a clear answer you would have to take some more and clearer pictures of your mid scalp area + crown, it looks like you have a little thinning going on in your mid scalp (on top of your head) - but it could also be the light and your wavy hair...

If you are indeed thinning in the mid scalp area - this is usually where proscar/propecia can help a lot. Look into this - do your research and if possible visit a nearby IAHRS hair loss expert for a prof opinion.

Do not freak out and stop worrying too much - you look fine now and if you start treating it - you might look great the next 15 years. Good luck.
  • 04-13-2012 04:02 PM
    TheNitwon
    Your hairline looks very nice, but it looks like you've got some thinning in your vertex. Get on Fin and Minox ASAP. You buy generic minox foam now for a few dollars less than Rogaine and it works just fine. If you can, see your doc and get a prescription for 5 mg Proscar (finasteride) or a generic equivalent and cut it into 4ths. Finasteride is the key to maintaining what you have. You might regrow some hair too, since your hairloss is at the vertex and that's where fin works best as far as regrowth is concerned.

One last thing: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. You have a good chance of keeping what you have and regrowing some...and like 2020 said, there are some great treatments coming out in the next few years that might be able to restore some/most of your hair.

In a nutshell: Get on meds, forget about hairloss and live your life. :D
  • 04-13-2012 05:12 PM
    mikeswick
    thanks guys, what do you think about viviscal?
  • 04-13-2012 05:18 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeswick View Post
    thanks guys, what do you think about viviscal?

they're just vitamins.... what is your overall plan on treating hair loss?
  • 04-13-2012 05:42 PM
    mikeswick
    I'm planning on just using viviscal for now and also davines volume shampoo which I saw on Dr.Oz
  • 04-13-2012 05:47 PM
    Quote:

I'm planning on just using viviscal for now and also davines volume shampoo which I saw on Dr.Oz

that won't help at all....

read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgenic_alopecia
  • 04-13-2012 05:56 PM
    mikeswick
    It will man, so many people on amazon gave it 5 outta 5 stars, and reported gettin new thicker hair pretty quick, plus that shampoo dr oz is one of the best doctors out there, he's legitt. I'll also make an appointment with a derm while I'm doing these regimes.

I'm also starting to rub aloe vera gel straight from the plant to my head 2x a day!

And using olive oil to massage my head 3x a week.
  • 04-13-2012 06:21 PM
    Quote:

It will man, so many people on amazon gave it 5 outta 5 stars, and reported gettin new thicker hair pretty quick, plus that shampoo dr oz is one of the best doctors out there, he's legitt. I'll also make an appointment with a derm while I'm doing these regimes.

I'm also starting to rub aloe vera gel straight from the plant to my head 2x a day!

are you trolling us?
  • 04-13-2012 06:31 PM
    mikeswick
    trolling??? no man wtfs ur problem
  • 04-13-2012 06:35 PM
    Quote:

trolling??? no man wtfs ur problem

ok well in case you're not: the reason you're losing hair is because your follicles are extra sensitive to DHT. In order to reduce damage from DHT, you need to reduce its level in your blood.
    Propecia does just like that - reduces DHT by 70%. All those vitamins won't do nothing to your hair because you won't be targeting the main problem of your hair loss....
  • 04-13-2012 06:37 PM
    mikeswick
    the problem with that I have is the doctor told me I need to take it for my whole life, and if I end up getting off it, he said ur hairs gonna fall out 10x faster
  • 04-13-2012 06:39 PM
    Quote:

the problem with that I have is the doctor told me I need to take it for my whole life,

no, you would just have to take it until better treatments arrive... which they will in less than 5 years

Quote:

and if I end up getting off it, he said ur hairs gonna fall out 10x faster

not really... you would just end up with whatever hair you were destined to be at that stage....
  • 04-13-2012 06:40 PM
    mikeswick
    will it give me erectile dysfunction at all?
  • 04-13-2012 06:42 PM
    Quote:

will it give me erectile dysfunction at all?

yes, of course.... We're all okay with it, why aren't you?

http://www.stophairlossnow.co.uk/pro...ear_reults.htm

Quote:

Each drug-related sexual side effect with PROPECIA® (finasteride) was <2% and reversible during 5 years of use
  • 04-13-2012 06:53 PM
    mikeswick
    what if I'm not going bald, but its just thinning a lil bit. I was pretty stressed a couple months ago over gambling problems, but now I'm good. Seemed to notice it then. Do you think it might have been just stress?

Does it work for that too even If your not destined to go bald? Is this drug to maintain hair loss or grow more as well?

and do you lose hair at first like you would when you go on rogaine, or no?
  • 04-13-2012 08:00 PM
    clandestine
    Quote:

Nope.

10char
  • 04-13-2012 08:58 PM
    mikeswick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Nope.

10char

huh?!? whats 10char?
  • 04-13-2012 11:19 PM
    Still-Researching
    Mikewick,
    Think what the guys are trying to tell you (in their one liners) is that your approach to solving your potential thinning is not recommended by anyone on here.

3 non-surgical treatments have been proven effective against hairloss - those are FIN (Propecia/Proscar), Minox (Rogaine), Nizoral Shampoo.... Any other treatments have not been proven effective.

Amazon ratings/feedback can easily be faked - how big is your network-friends - ask them all to say your book/medicin is a 5 and your rating will quickly be 4.5...

All on here is trying to help as we really know how it feels to loose hair - so try to see through the quick comments and review the suggestions - it is the best objective help you will get outside of meeting up with an IAHRS Doctor.

Good luck.
  • 04-14-2012 08:32 AM
    itssomuchfun
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    yes, of course.... We're all okay with it, why aren't you?

http://www.stophairlossnow.co.uk/pro...ear_reults.htm

Wait...what? Are you saying it's obvious that people will have erectile dysfunction on propecia or are you just being facetious?
  • 04-14-2012 08:44 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itssomuchfun View Post
    Wait...what? Are you saying it's obvious that people will have erectile dysfunction on propecia or are you just being facetious?

no dude, I was being sarcastic.... read the study: less than 2% of people experienced side effects. That number went down to 0.3%, meaning that the side effects go away for most people as your body starts to adjust.....
  • 04-14-2012 09:18 AM
    Morbo
    Quote:

no, you would just have to take it until better treatments arrive... which they will in less than 5 years

What a bummer. Turns out baldness is cured and nobody bothered to tell me. :(

Let's be straight-forward with this guy. You hope there will be something better in 5 years. As things stand now, until effectively something better arrives, his doctor is right and he needs to take the meds for the rest of his life.
  • 04-14-2012 09:28 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    What a bummer. Turns out baldness is cured and nobody bothered to tell me. :(

Let's be straight-forward with this guy. You hope there will be something better in 5 years. As things stand now, until effectively something better arrives, his doctor is right and he needs to take the meds for the rest of his life.

Histogen will be there.... so is CB and topical MDV3100, ASC-J9.... these are just a couple treatments that will DEFINITELY be available within the next 5 years.
  • 04-14-2012 09:34 AM
    Morbo
    Quote:

Histogen will be there.... so is CB and topical MDV3100, ASC-J9.... these are just a couple treatments that will DEFINITELY be available within the next 5 years.

Histogen hopes/aims to be there and we barely know if - or how well - it actually works. That's not definitely. CB topical MDV3100, ASC-J9 are some hocus pocus (quite possibly oil snake companies) treatments we know even less about.

These are no facts or guaranteed future treatments.
  • 04-14-2012 09:46 AM
    WashedOut
    Quote:

Histogen hopes/aims to be there and we barely know if - or how well - it actually works. That's not definitely. CB topical MDV3100, ASC-J9 are some hocus pocus (quite possibly oil snake companies) treatments we know even less about.

These are no facts or guaranteed future treatments.

Why are these drugs hocus pocus? MDV3100 is one of the strongest anti-androgens possible and is a prostate cancer drug, it will come out for that purpose. There's a difference between Nioxin or some other fake stuff and clinically tested drugs.
  • 04-14-2012 09:55 AM
    Quote:

Histogen hopes/aims to be there and we barely know if - or how well - it actually works. That's not definitely.

it works. It may be weak/ineffective for all you NW4's but it will work to some extend.

Quote:

CB topical MDV3100, ASC-J9 are some hocus pocus (quite possibly oil snake companies) treatments we know even less about.

really? This is from CB:

http://www.cosmopharmaceuticals.com/.../T20101006.jpg
  • 04-14-2012 09:56 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WashedOut View Post
    Why are these drugs hocus pocus? MDV3100 is one of the strongest anti-androgens possible and is a prostate cancer drug, it will come out for that purpose. There's a difference between Nioxin or some other fake stuff and clinically tested drugs.

^ that's true.
    MDV3100 will come out 100%. Whether or not people decide to use its topical version for MPB or whether it's even safe that's still unknown....
  • 04-14-2012 11:12 AM
    Morbo
    Quote:

Whether or not people decide to use its topical version for MPB or whether it's even safe that's still unknown....

Unknown = NOT A FACT
    There are none and there are absolutely no guarantees or facts which give us proof of a solution in the coming 5 years.
    The OP asked for the truth and advice. You're giving him dreams and fantasies.

Quote:

it works. It may be weak/ineffective for all you NW4's but it will work to some extend.

really? This is from CB:

http://www.cosmopharmaceuticals.com/.../T20101006.jpg

I posted pictures on this forum. I'm not even NW1 let alone 4^^

It works when it's proven to work and we have a confirmed patient with evidence of actual hair growth. Apart from that one picture we had circulating this forum so far (on which any result was barely visible), we have zippo.

let's just drop it. Your link proves nothing let alone cure MPB.
    I see that a very sensible, logical post brings out the retards on this forum.
  • 04-14-2012 12:45 PM
    Quote:

Unknown = NOT A FACT
    There are none and there are absolutely no guarantees or facts which give us proof of a solution in the coming 5 years.
    The OP asked for the truth and advice. You're giving him dreams and fantasies.

what is a "solution"? An absolute cure in a pill form - no. But better topicals and maybe something from Replicel - yes.

Quote:

It works when it's proven to work and we have a confirmed patient with evidence of actual hair growth. Apart from that one picture we had circulating this forum so far (on which any result was barely visible), we have zippo.

but it does work... the chart proves it
  • 04-14-2012 01:26 PM
    Morbo
    Quote:

Quote:

But better topicals and maybe something from Replicel - yes.

Aha, and here we are. That's what I mean.
    Now your changing your words. Just stick to what you know.
    Maybe something will come along in 5 years, maybe there will not. But for the time being, the OP's doctor is absolutely right and he is required to take the meds for the rest of his life. That's the honest truth.
  • 04-14-2012 01:32 PM
    Quote:

Aha, and here we are. That's what I mean.
    Now your changing your words. Just stick to what you know.
    Maybe something will come along in 5 years, maybe there will not. But for the time being, the OP's doctor is absolutely right and he is required to take the meds for the rest of his life. That's the honest truth.

well something will definitely pan out out of a dozen things that we have going right now..... not sure which ones though

For the rest of his life really? If he's 20, then don't you think that in 20 years there will be a cure available? Which means that he will most definitely have all the hair he wants at 40
  • 04-14-2012 02:05 PM
    Morbo
    Quote:

well something will definitely pan out out of a dozen things that we have going right now..... not sure which ones though

For the rest of his life really? If he's 20, then don't you think that in 20 years there will be a cure available? Which means that he will most definitely have all the hair he wants at 40

/facepalm

You're doing again.
    The thing is: I don't know, nobody knows.
    I hope, like everyone on this forum hopes.

But there is no cure, there is not a better treatment yet. The only road everyone on this forum is currently walking on, is the road to eternal baldness and/or a life on meds. This may be altered (hopefully) in a far or near future. But until that time I'll refrain from using the word DEFINITELY because it's simply knowledge nobody has and a promise which can't be kept.
  • 04-14-2012 02:09 PM
    let's just wait until the end of this year for Replicel and Histogen's results.... we will know know everything then
  • 04-14-2012 02:16 PM
    Morbo
    Skeptical but curious nonetheless, I will.^^

Like everyone on these boards I suppose.
  • 04-14-2012 02:23 PM
    Quote:

Skeptical but curious nonetheless, I will.^^

Like everyone on these boards I suppose.

why so skeptical? Replicel has fantastic credentials. If some company were to come up with a "cure", it would probably have as much credentials. Replicel may as well be that company.... what else do you want from them?
  • 04-14-2012 05:09 PM
    Davey Jones
    Quote:

why so skeptical? Replicel has fantastic credentials. If some company were to come up with a "cure", it would probably have as much credentials. Replicel may as well be that company.... what else do you want from them?

Everybody here has seen tried so many things and been told "this will definitely work" so many times. For some, brutal skepticism protects from future heart break. For others, optimism (perhhaps naive optimism) is the only thing pulling us through. I'm an optimist myself. Replicel believer. Seems like you are in that same boat. And it works for us.

But can you really blame anyone for being skeptical? How many things have you tried throughout the years, only to see your hair still keep going? In the end, we don't know anything. That is fair to say. And maybe it is best to be honest about that to new comers to the fabulous world of MPB.

Yeah, I'm puttin' faith in Replicel. But there are no garuntees in anything.
  • 05-03-2012 12:10 PM
    stressdfella
    Quote:

who told u dat xctly? Talkd to God or wt?

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth