• 04-08-2016 08:53 PM
    nobs
    There's no way in hell I'm spending $74 per month on this solution, hopefully the formulation won't be so expensive in the U.S.
  • 04-08-2016 08:59 PM
    barfacan
    Remember guys, .05 mg of finasteride is still within the (nearly)flat-dose response range.
  • 04-09-2016 06:55 AM
    nobs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by barfacan View Post
    Remember guys, .05 mg of finasteride is still within the (nearly)flat-dose response range.

This isn't about the cost of finasteride, it's about limiting systematic exposure to the drug for people like me and many others who have side effects on the drug.
  • 04-09-2016 09:25 AM
    barfacan
    Read my post again, silly goose.
  • 04-09-2016 10:47 AM
    nobs
    Quote:

Read my post again, silly goose.

You were referencing this chart no? http://www.propecianow.net/wp-conten...tion-curve.jpg
  • 04-09-2016 01:03 PM
    barfacan
    Right. Now what's the concentration of their topical? It's probably going to be at least 1 MG / ML or something similar, so if you're applying 1 ML of this stuff, and 1/18th goes internal, you're getting ~.056 mg systemic absorption, which will still elicit side effects. This is all provided that Finasteride is effective topically, which many people are convinced IT IS NOT. It's believed that Finasteride must go systemic in order to be effective against Alopecia. Finasteride blocks the 5AR2 enzymatic conversion, 5AR2 is not exclusively located in the scalp. So you'll still have the T ---> DHT being converted elsewhere in the body, floating around then attaching to receptors in the hair follicle, which is why you must inhibit the 5AR2 enzyme systemically to greatly reduce the conversion of T -> DHT, SYSTEM WIDE. This is my rudimentary knowledge of the subject.
  • 04-09-2016 01:18 PM
    nobs
    Quote:

Right. Now what's the concentration of their topical? It's probably going to be at least 1 MG / ML or something similar, so if you're applying 1 ML of this stuff, and 1/18th goes internal, you're getting ~.056 mg systemic absorption, which will still elicit side effects. This is all provided that Finasteride is effective topically, which many people are convinced IT IS NOT. It's believed that Finasteride must go systemic in order to be effective against Alopecia. Finasteride blocks the 5AR2 enzymatic conversion, 5AR2 is not exclusively located in the scalp. So you'll still have the T ---> DHT being converted elsewhere in the body, floating around then attaching to receptors in the hair follicle, which is why you must inhibit the 5AR2 enzyme systemically to greatly reduce the conversion of T -> DHT, SYSTEM WIDE. This is my rudimentary knowledge of the subject.

Right, but I think the goal of the liposomes is to have the drug suspended in the scalp, so to create a differential between blood levels and scalp levels of dht, which are not in perfect balance according the propecia studies. From what I remember, scalp levels of dht were 44-50% lower while the subjects were on finasteride, which is markedly different than the roughly 70% serum reduction, maybe suggesting less blood flow to the scalp than other regions, which would make a topical more optimal. If topical minoxidil is able to work and be undetectable in the blood then I don't see a reason why topical finasteride couldn't as well.
  • 04-09-2016 01:36 PM
    barfacan
    I just don't believe locally inhibiting 5AR2 in the scalp is going to do any good, as that's not where the majority of that particular activity takes place. Now if you could, say, locally inhibit the DHT receptor, or find another molecule that competes with it, LOCALLY, that may be a winner. The fact that Finasteride reduces serum DHT levels more so than scalp oesn't necessarily mean a topical would work better. For all we know, there is negligible 5AR2 activity in the scalp to begin with. Unless i'm totally wrong and somebody has proof of the opposite? If so, then i suppose it could theoretically work for some people provided you dont get much spillover of DHT from the rest of the body.

WRT minoxidil: Apples and Oranges; As far as anyone knows, minoxidil has no affect on the androgenic system, i believe it primarily affects Nitric oxide. It merely offsets hair loss / increases hair growth. It does not need to go systemic. That's why it only
  • 02-15-2017 09:12 PM
    marklin
    Hhasson and wong topical Finasteride is 0.25%. Which mean 2.5 mg/ml. Which mean 2.5 mg of Finasteride on your head everyday. That is too much!
  • 02-25-2017 04:41 AM
    Mountinvan
    Available in US?
    It is true that Trump is making it harder to get anything into US, but given the state of his hair, he might allow some topical fin. He does it orally:o Time for H&W to take pity on US follicularly challenged bloats.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM