• 01-14-2009 06:09 PM
    Wanda
    Seeing an endocrinologist-question for Dr. Redmond
    My GP is making me an appt with an endocrinologist(I posted earlier with various symptoms I have had including hair loss). Due to past experiences with some doctors and getting the "brush off", are there any specific tests I should request? I am willing to pay for them myself(I requested a hormone panel test previously and the doctor told me it was expensive and probably would not show anything definitive). I just want to find out if there is any correlation between the hair loss and this wierd tingling, itching I am having in my feet, hands, and scalp. One doctor told me I needed HRT and or antidepressants!! Thanks for any advice and help. I am most grateful!!
  • 01-21-2009 03:30 PM
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    My GP is making me an appt with an endocrinologist(I posted earlier with various symptoms I have had including hair loss). Due to past experiences with some doctors and getting the "brush off", are there any specific tests I should request? I am willing to pay for them myself(I requested a hormone panel test previously and the doctor told me it was expensive and probably would not show anything definitive). I just want to find out if there is any correlation between the hair loss and this wierd tingling, itching I am having in my feet, hands, and scalp. One doctor told me I needed HRT and or antidepressants!! Thanks for any advice and help. I am most grateful!!

The important tests are listed in my book and on my website. However this needs to be individualized. Testsosterone and TSH for thyroid are always needed, as are routine blood counts and chemistries. While doing tests is essential, most often they are all "normal." Unfortunately, many doctors misinterpret this to mean that nothing can be done. In fact alopecia with normal labs is highly treatable. The determination of the hormonal factors in an individual woman's hair loss is based mostly on her history , including any other hormonal issues, and careful examination of the hair and scalp.

Most endocrinologists focus on thyroid and diabetes rather than reproductive system hormones so you may have to do some educating.
  • 01-21-2009 05:02 PM
    Wanda
    Thank you, Dr. Redmond for your reply. I will definitely be getting your book and "studying" before my appt.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM