• 08-08-2020 10:27 AM
    seamtb
    3 Attachment(s)
    Considering FUT HT, need advice on my options
    Hi,

I have been considering HT surgery as my hair loss has gotten to the point where I am shaving my head close, which does not look good on me given my headshape and facial features. I have been using finasteride and minox for about 5 months. I feel like there is some re-growth but it is not enough to keep me clipping my hair close. I knew going in that I am past the point that those could really help, and I do not expect much more out of those medications but I thought I would try and see if I was one of those extraordinary cases. So far minimal side affects.

Please see the pictures below. I need advice as to whether I am a candidate for FUE surgery given my existing progression. I know that I will never have thick hair again, but I am okay with having a "thinning" look, with more density than I have now. I would likely still keep my hair short (1/2 - 3/4 inch). Also, I expect that over time I would lose what I still have on top and the lateral humps over time. But is it realistic to think that I could achieve 5-7 years of thicker density? Is that possible with my existing donor area? Also I am open to using my chest hair or neck hair as FUE, but I know thats less common and with a lower survival rate.

As I stated above, I expect to lose what is currently on top over time, so I realize that it would at some point look thin enough to need shaving again. But if I do that, would there be any scarring visible when it would be time to cut close again?

In summary, I would like to know the feasibility of getting a thicker, natural thinning look, but with greater density to avoid shaving my hair close.

I normally shave my hair close but I have been letting it grow out since I am working at home due to covid office closures.

Advice and considerations that I have not thought of would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment 68211Attachment 68212Attachment 68213
  • 08-09-2020 12:16 AM
    Sammmuel
    Hi,
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    Based on your pictures, I can see that you have a low capacity donor area and wide hairless area.
    Have you consulted any doctor? A good one must tell you whether you are suitable for a hair transplant or not...
  • 08-10-2020 05:44 PM
    seamtb
    Thanks for your reply Sammmuel. At this point I have not consulted a doctor yet. I have done some preliminary searching in my area and I was surprised that there were not many Doctors that came up in in the northwest. At least that I could find anyway. I did not realize that not everybody can be a candidate for HT until I started reading up about it on this site, which has been a little discouraging. That's really the next step for me is to have a consult. But I was also curious what others thought since there seem to be many people on this site educated on this subject.

Thank you
  • 08-10-2020 07:11 PM
    Stevedawg18
    That does seem to be a fairly large area and the donor looks like it has thinned to some degree.

I wonder how effective a HT would be. If you do do a FUT it’s possible the scar would show at your current length. They tell you it won’t be sometimes does...I have FUT scar and it’s not even a bad one.

I don’t really know doesn’t hurt to ask some doctors.
  • 08-10-2020 08:23 PM
    seamtb
    Thanks stevedawg
    I really suspected that may be the case as far as donor area. And both responses on this site more or less align with those suspicions. I will be following up with a doctor but I honestly foresee getting a similar answer.

Thank you for your honest input.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212