Some Thoughts on Baldness

Printable View

• 10-26-2010 11:16 AM
    mlao
    I vote to be compassionate to one another and try to understand how somebody else feels about their hair loss. If you like a buzzed look great but if you aren't comfortable with it forget it.
    Like I say, To each his own.
  • 10-26-2010 11:44 AM
    jooder
    I vote to lighten up....
  • 10-26-2010 11:49 AM
    mlao
    I am "lightened up" as you say. I am also respectful of peoples opinions.
  • 10-26-2010 12:04 PM
    jooder
    As am i........ different opinions make for an interesting topic. It is one thing to have an opinion, quite another to promote your own thoughts as facts with no evidence to back them up. There are young people who use this forum, desperate to feel better about themselves. People who post negatively about any form of hair loss 'solution' only serve to send these youngsters further into depression.
  • 10-26-2010 02:27 PM
    Fixed by 35
    I am stubbornly opposed to head shaving, petition or not. I don't have much hair left so frankly 30 minutes a month on cutting it seems more than adequate!

By the way, it's okay to be depressed about hair loss. Hair loss is very depressing. It's unhealthy to suppress your true feelings.
  • 10-26-2010 07:18 PM
    Weedwacker
    I don't think the petition to get "Fixed" to shave his head is going to work. I think there would be a greater chance of him shaving his balls than him shaving his head.

I agree that each guy needs to seriously sit down and contemplate his situation. There is no need to be in a rush about it. I am personally not a fan of head-shaving, but that's my opinion. I am more of a fan of buzzing the hair down to a #1 or #2 on the buzzer. I buzz mine to a #1. When I shave my head I feel unnatural and bizarre. I am also very white. Given my Northern European ancestry(Norwegian,Swedish,German,English,Irish,Sc ottish,Welsh), I don't tan very easily. I believe buzzing is more natural than shaving;furthermore, I begin to become obsessive about proportioning when I shave my dome. To me, it's abnormal to shave my head and then have bodyhair elsewhere;it just looks weird. I don't know why it's trendy to shave the head. Three-month-old babies are bald;therefore, why is it normal for a grown man to be bald? It's the same debate regarding man-scaping. Some people think it's abnormal for a guy to shave his chest;however, these same people think it's ok for a guy to shave his head? I don't get it.

I agree that we ought to be supportive of each other's decisions regarding baldness. I don't try to dissuade people from shaving or not shaving because it's their decision. I don't think it's helpful to say all bald men look like ass;conversely, I don't think it's good for the militant types to say"man up and shave your head!" This isn't the Army. Going bald is traumatic and whatever a bloke has to do to feel comfortable is acceptable.

I have accepted the fact that I am bald. Once I hit 30 everything got better for me psychologically. There is a difference between acceptance and satisfaction. I am not satisfied being bald because I look less attractive. Just because I accept it doesn't mean I like it. Some guys shave their heads because they are in denial, but some do it because they look better shaved than with the scraggly-looking, overgrown horseshoe. I was an emotional trainwreck when I was say, 23. That was just too young do deal with this shit. If I was 20 again, I would probably wear a piece. Acceptance came with age. It's more acceptable to be a full Norwood in your 30's than 20's. Unlike most people, I actually look forward to aging.
  • 10-27-2010 04:59 AM
    jooder
    The petition to get fixed to shave his head was a joke.....The seriousness around here gets a little tedious after a while.
  • 10-27-2010 04:53 PM
    Weedwacker
    I know the petition was a joke;that's why I mentioned the ball-shaving thing for the sake of being jocular.

Something needs to be clarified regarding bald celebrities:they are not a good example of a role model for balding guys. They are rich and famous. There was a post by a woman on this forum which stated that Andre Agassi and Michael Stipe look handsome bald;however,you'll also notice she went on to say that Agassi is a great athlete and Stipe has that rock star thing going on. This underscores my point;women don't care about looks when you have status and wealth. Most of us are not famous and rich.

There are two types of men in this world:the men who want to look attractive and natural, and those who want to look like an ex-con gang member. If you are the guy who just wants to get attention by riding around on a Harley and intimidate people all day, then balding is irrelevant to you. If you are the guy who wants to look natural, then balding is a completely different animal. I'm not one of those fellas who shaves his head, has a beer-belly, 20 tattoos and a goatee grown down to his balls. There is a specific reason those guys go out of their way to have that "look". If I was one of those guys, I wouldn't stop there;I would wear a bronze viking helmet with horns.

There are bald men who look good with no hair or a shaved head despite their lack of naturality;for instance, Zenedine Zidane or Stefano Garzelli. Most guys do not look very good without hair and there's a good reason for that:it's unnatural. I'll ask this question:how many people(male or female) look good on chemotherapy? I haven't seen any;they look sick. The reason being that hair is an integral part of your body. I take a chemotherapy drug for my auto immune illness which, thankfully, doesn't make my remaining hair fall out. The drug may cause hepatitis or rot my liver, but those are rare side-effects. Some guys can go bald and look good despite their lack of a hair-frame, but that's not the norm.
  • 10-27-2010 05:05 PM
    Fixed by 35
    Neither were bald when they became famous. Nor were a great many of the so called examples.

Can anyone name me a single actor who went bald at 20 but was still successful, without wearing wigs?
  • 10-27-2010 06:15 PM
    hdude46
    give it a rest already fixed. its getting old. we get it. you hate balding and think its ugly. good for you. continuing to whine and cry about it on a message board isnt going to change a thing for you.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM