• 08-28-2012 08:42 PM
    Loomings
    Finasteride 0.25 mg twice per week. Works for me.
    Greetings all,

This is my first post on this forum after months of lurking and doing my research.

I decided to take the Propecia Plunge after weighing up a number of things:

- Lack of hard scientific evidence on serious risks associated with taking this drug (all research seems to indicate a small subset of men having problems- Negative views on Propecia seem mostly anecdotal).

- Erwig study flawed in my view. Biased sample from Propecia Help, research conducted via phone interviews.

- Propecia has been on the market since 1997(?). That's a long time. I must say that conflicts of interest between medicine and profit are a concern of mine. When there is a lot of money to be made, things can be distorted (how does Mercke justify price difference between Proscar and Propecia? Blatant price gouging and it's insulting to the consumer). However, most arguments against Propecia seem to be ad hom/ancedotal at this stage. John Crisler does not do the cause against Propecia use any favours.

- I've weighed up quality of life Risks vs Benefits. My balding was effecting my quality of life. I've been depressed about it, obsessively checking for signs of hairloss progression, constantly comparing my hairline to other guys, starting to resent the Full Head of Hair on display from other men (smug bastards!). This is no way to live. In the opinion of many, I'm a very good looking guy (i'd say a 9 out of 10) and I have plenty of reason to maintain this advantage in life. I'm currently in a well paid job, successful with women, easily make friends, am looked up to by many as a leader etc.
    However vain/arrogant this may sound, I think it is an important point to make in my decision to tackle my baldness.

Despite the above points, there are enough people reporting side effects that I decided to be prudent and start on 0.25mgs of Propecia (non-generic) every Thursday and Sunday morning- Just to see what would happen, and expecting no results.

I have taken 2 doses of 0.25mgs to date- and am due for my 3rd tomorrow morning.

My baldness is more frontal- early stages. Thinning in front half of head, receding hairline. The crown is also getting more exposed. I am 25 years old. My hair is very dark brown and I have quite pale skin, so thinning is more visible with this combination of my natural pigments.

I think it's been about 2 years now knowing that my baldness was progressing, but I'd been hoping it would slow down. There have also been elements of being in denial about my fate. My indicator to my recession is a small mole close to my hairline. My indicator to my thinning was feeling the front half of my head versus the back half. Noticeable difference. Front half feels thinner, whispier, can feel the scalp more easily.

Now for the results of being a week in to 2X doses of 0.25 mg of Finasteride (taken Thursday morning and Sunday morning):

Amazing effects a week in- I have stopped losing hair. Previously I would run my hands through the front portion of my head and come up with 4 or 5 loose hairs consistently. Worse was in the shower when shampooing- Often 10 to 15 hairs in my hand at any one time. The hairs were very thin and miniaturized. Worse still I was starting to get comments from girlfriend, friends, family about. I think that's when you know you're ****ed.

A week into my treatment I can run my hands through the front of my hair and come up with 1 hair if I'm lucky. No only that, my hair feels/looks thicker and healthier. I am aware that this speed of efficacy is unusual and not typical for the majority of Finasteride users. Most users seem to count on results appearing 6-12 months into treatment.

I am already maintainig and thickening at the front (also unusual as Finasteride is meant to be less effective in the frontal region). My girlfriend of 2 years agrees and thinks my hair looks visibly better (and she speaks her mind, had no problem telling me my hair previously looked like shit, was constantly making bald jokes).

My endocrine system is clearly very sensitive to this drug.

Now for the bad news. I am experiencing side effects. Not severe, but not mild either. Some are physical, some are psychological.

First the physical:

- My dick feels weird/ less sensitive. Slight twinges throughout the day around the knob. I'm getting those twinges in both my nuts too. Could be psychological (I've read a lot of stuff on testicle and penis atrophy on this drug- true or not, it's not a nice thing to read. I have a nice dick in terms of length and girth and I want to keep it that way. It is definitely one of my assets).

- Erections are weaker. Could also be psychological. My erections are more transient than usual, however my erections have always been transient when I focus on them. I have suffered performance ED in the past with new partners when I worry about whether I can get hard or not.
    That being said, I am still masturbating every night (Girlfriend and I don't have sex that often these days- I'd lost a bit of sexual interest in her prior to taking this drug). Had a massive wank session last night, so I am inclined more towards thinking my mild ED is psychological. I am the type of guy who can psych myself out of erections easily.

Now for the psychological:

- General malaise, bit anxious, bit more depressed, bit less focused. I work as a recruitement consultant so changes in my mental faculties are easy to measure. I'm making more spelling errors in emails, bit more forgetful, bit less talkative and witty in the office, loss of energy.

SIDE NOTE ABOUT MY WORKPLACE: several people in the office have asked if I've had a haircut. I haven't, my hair just looks better. How about that?

Back to the side effects. I am naturally inclined to anxiety and depression. I can be moody from time to time, but I definitely feel less emotionally settled at the moment. It could be because I am very worried about the effect this drug might be having on other things aside my hair (androgens, penile function, prostate, neurosteroids). The jury still seems to be out on this stuff in the medical world.

Because I have responded to Finasteride so quickly, I think it is safe to assume that I am very sensitive to this drug, and probably do not need to increase my dose.

My original treatment plan was to eventually work my way up to 0.5mg every other day. I don't think that's necessary for the moment.

What are your thoughts guys? I know there are a lot of very intelligent people on this forum and I would like the input of anyone who finds my unusal experience with Finasteride interesting.

For the moment, I am undecided if the benefits outweigh the risks. I would say I am leaning towards continuing with this drug for the time being. I am due for my third dose of 0.25mg tomorrow.
  • 08-28-2012 10:58 PM
    mpb47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Loomings View Post
    Greetings all,

This is my first post on this forum after months of lurking and doing my research.

I decided to take the Propecia Plunge after weighing up a number of things:

- Lack of hard scientific evidence on serious risks associated with taking this drug (all research seems to indicate a small subset of men having problems- Negative views on Propecia seem mostly anecdotal).

- Erwig study flawed in my view. Biased sample from Propecia Help, research conducted via phone interviews.

- Propecia has been on the market since 1997(?). That's a long time. I must say that conflicts of interest between medicine and profit are a concern of mine. When there is a lot of money to be made, things can be distorted (how does Mercke justify price difference between Proscar and Propecia? Blatant price gouging and it's insulting to the consumer). However, most arguments against Propecia seem to be ad hom/ancedotal at this stage. John Crisler does not do the cause against Propecia use any favours.

- I've weighed up quality of life Risks vs Benefits. My balding was effecting my quality of life. I've been depressed about it, obsessively checking for signs of hairloss progression, constantly comparing my hairline to other guys, starting to resent the Full Head of Hair on display from other men (smug bastards!). This is no way to live. In the opinion of many, I'm a very good looking guy (i'd say a 9 out of 10) and I have plenty of reason to maintain this advantage in life. I'm currently in a well paid job, successful with women, easily make friends, am looked up to by many as a leader etc.
    However vain/arrogant this may sound, I think it is an important point to make in my decision to tackle my baldness.

Despite the above points, there are enough people reporting side effects that I decided to be prudent and start on 0.25mgs of Propecia (non-generic) every Thursday and Sunday morning- Just to see what would happen, and expecting no results.

I have taken 2 doses of 0.25mgs to date- and am due for my 3rd tomorrow morning.

My baldness is more frontal- early stages. Thinning in front half of head, receding hairline. The crown is also getting more exposed. I am 25 years old. My hair is very dark brown and I have quite pale skin, so thinning is more visible with this combination of my natural pigments.

I think it's been about 2 years now knowing that my baldness was progressing, but I'd been hoping it would slow down. There have also been elements of being in denial about my fate. My indicator to my recession is a small mole close to my hairline. My indicator to my thinning was feeling the front half of my head versus the back half. Noticeable difference. Front half feels thinner, whispier, can feel the scalp more easily.

Now for the results of being a week in to 2X doses of 0.25 mg of Finasteride (taken Thursday morning and Sunday morning):

Amazing effects a week in- I have stopped losing hair. Previously I would run my hands through the front portion of my head and come up with 4 or 5 loose hairs consistently. Worse was in the shower when shampooing- Often 10 to 15 hairs in my hand at any one time. The hairs were very thin and miniaturized. Worse still I was starting to get comments from girlfriend, friends, family about. I think that's when you know you're ****ed.

A week into my treatment I can run my hands through the front of my hair and come up with 1 hair if I'm lucky. No only that, my hair feels/looks thicker and healthier. I am aware that this speed of efficacy is unusual and not typical for the majority of Finasteride users. Most users seem to count on results appearing 6-12 months into treatment.

I am already maintainig and thickening at the front (also unusual as Finasteride is meant to be less effective in the frontal region). My girlfriend of 2 years agrees and thinks my hair looks visibly better (and she speaks her mind, had no problem telling me my hair previously looked like shit, was constantly making bald jokes).

My endocrine system is clearly very sensitive to this drug.

Now for the bad news. I am experiencing side effects. Not severe, but not mild either. Some are physical, some are psychological.

First the physical:

- My dick feels weird/ less sensitive. Slight twinges throughout the day around the knob. I'm getting those twinges in both my nuts too. Could be psychological (I've read a lot of stuff on testicle and penis atrophy on this drug- true or not, it's not a nice thing to read. I have a nice dick in terms of length and girth and I want to keep it that way. It is definitely one of my assets).

- Erections are weaker. Could also be psychological. My erections are more transient than usual, however my erections have always been transient when I focus on them. I have suffered performance ED in the past with new partners when I worry about whether I can get hard or not.
    That being said, I am still masturbating every night (Girlfriend and I don't have sex that often these days- I'd lost a bit of sexual interest in her prior to taking this drug). Had a massive wank session last night, so I am inclined more towards thinking my mild ED is psychological. I am the type of guy who can psych myself out of erections easily.

Now for the psychological:

- General malaise, bit anxious, bit more depressed, bit less focused. I work as a recruitement consultant so changes in my mental faculties are easy to measure. I'm making more spelling errors in emails, bit more forgetful, bit less talkative and witty in the office, loss of energy.

SIDE NOTE ABOUT MY WORKPLACE: several people in the office have asked if I've had a haircut. I haven't, my hair just looks better. How about that?

Back to the side effects. I am naturally inclined to anxiety and depression. I can be moody from time to time, but I definitely feel less emotionally settled at the moment. It could be because I am very worried about the effect this drug might be having on other things aside my hair (androgens, penile function, prostate, neurosteroids). The jury still seems to be out on this stuff in the medical world.

Because I have responded to Finasteride so quickly, I think it is safe to assume that I am very sensitive to this drug, and probably do not need to increase my dose.

My original treatment plan was to eventually work my way up to 0.5mg every other day. I don't think that's necessary for the moment.

What are your thoughts guys? I know there are a lot of very intelligent people on this forum and I would like the input of anyone who finds my unusal experience with Finasteride interesting.

For the moment, I am undecided if the benefits outweigh the risks. I would say I am leaning towards continuing with this drug for the time being. I am due for my third dose of 0.25mg tomorrow.

I was doing the same 25 but every 2 weeks. But I had to take a PSA exam and fin messes up the tests so I backed off. I have another test in Jan so have until to start back. keep a it!
  • 08-29-2012 12:23 AM
    Loomings
    Any sides? forgot to mention- I've noticed I lose my temper much more easily as well. Feel like having angry outburst ;)

Maybe due to extra testosterone?
  • 08-29-2012 12:35 AM
    skipstah70
    Buddy, you must be a completly dellusional to think that 2 weeks or even 2 months on this drug is going to make a noticable positive difference in the look of your hair, or especially how anyone else is going to perceive it. Does anybody even READ the experiences of others in here who have taken propecia??? I've taken this drug mostly on and sometimes with small breaks off of it for the better part of 13 years, and seriously.. with regards to the visible difference the drug is making to your hair in such a short period as 3 weeks time.. it's ridiculous. If anything, what you will begin to notice when you build up enough of the drug in your system, is that you will start to shed more hair than normal (that's lose way more) . This is a sign that the drug is working by encouraging the telogen hairs to shed, and stimulating the folicles to enter a new anagen stage of growth (this is a good sign).

I do believe it is possible to experience any sexual side effects much quicker than you will notice any benefit to your hair.. and I noticed mine within 2 weeks to a month, whereas my hair showed no real noticeable difference until about 4 to 5 months. You may notice that your hair has what I call more "lift" or gets puffier at about a month though, and is less flat looking. This I believe is because the thicker shafts of hair are less eager to lay flat on your head. Again, this is subtle and I don't think you see obvious benefits till several months in. Get a camera, take pictures and document your experience objectively, don't ask others (gf) who are eager to please you if they think your hair looks any different or better (people aren't always objective, cameras are). My experiences here were also with 1mg a day of finast, so I find it especially difficult to see how you are noticing anything with .25 mg as intermittent as 2 times a week.
  • 08-29-2012 12:48 AM
    skipstah70
    After reading your post again, I see that you do think you are noticing some sexual side effects on that very small .25mg doseage you are taking. As someone who completely believes that this drug does have a major negative impact on your dick (sensitivity, erectile problems, less ejaculate semen, lower libido), I'll tell you that if you are showing any problems this early on and on such a small dose, that is not a good sign. My best advice, find out if this is real or in your head by taking a regular 1mg dose for two weeks to a month.. then you will know what you are really dealing with. You will be able to sort out much better what is "in your head" and what isn't because the changes will be that much more dramatic.

My reasons personally for stopping use of the drug will come down to my inability to any longer deal with the negative side effects. They are very real for me.
  • 08-29-2012 02:36 AM
    Loomings
    Skipstah, I made full acknowledgement that my experience on Finasteride is very unusual. I can acknowledge that because I have read the experiences of many other users, and none seem to see results like mine.

Objectively, my hair has stopped falling out. There is no way I'm imagining that. I run my hand through the front of my hair and come up clean of loose hairs. Before Finasteride I would get a reliable 4 or 5 hairs.

My girlfriend, who is a straight shooter, will back this up. She's as surprised as I am.

At the very least Finasteride is already starting to maintain my hair.

Trust me, I had zero expectations of this drug having any effect at 0.25mgs twice a week. The reason I started at this dose was to see if I could preempt side effects and stop using Finasteride before I risked permanent damage.

The surprising part was the immediate effect it has had on my hair. And I must correct you, I have only been on Finasteride for a week and have taken a total of 2X 0.25mg hits (Thursday morning and Sunday morning).

I have no agenda or reason to make this up. I'm extremely worried about negative effects of this drug, the unexpected surprise is how powerful it actually is in halting hair loss for me.

What is clear is that everyone responds differently to this drug. I am glad I started on this low dose, because 1mg per day would definitely be overkill for me.

The only unfortunate part of this experience for me is that while it seems to be very effective on my hair, it does seem to be exerting a negative influence on my dick and brain.

If it persists and my body does not adjust to this drug in a way that is acceptable for my libido/ sense of well being, I will discontinue using it.

The being said, I felt much better today than I have since starting, although I am due for my next hit tomorrow morning.
  • 08-29-2012 04:57 AM
    skipstah70
    'Your experience with the drug'?? What ****ing experience? You haven't even taken a milligram of the stuff over the course of 3 weeks yet!? LOL Do you even know the basics about how this drug works in your body, judging by what you are saying, I know the answer is no. Get real man.
  • 08-29-2012 06:53 AM
    Loomings
    No need to be belittling.

I do believe the jury is still out on the full mode of action of this drug.

Some people take one dose, and they swear it has messed them up for life.

Others like Spencer have been taking it for years with no issues.

Some people find their baldness accelerated on this drug and some grow breasts.

Nobody really knows why results vary.

I will state a simple truth: My hair has stopped falling out on a dose of 2X 0.25mgs of Finasteride in one week. My hair stopped falling out on the days between the first (Thursday morning) and second (Sunday morning) dose. I may not be thickening, but I am maintaining.
  • 08-29-2012 01:35 PM
    skipstah70
    I'm not belittling you, I'm just stating a simple fact... That don't know what you are talking about with regards to the drug.

As another point. Have you ever considered the following (and I have NO idea exactly what is going on your life in this regard, but can guess quite accurately that you are fairly high stress and hair obsessed by details of your first post). We all know that stress can be a major factor in hairloss as well. There are many times in a persons life when extreme stress can cause hairloss in people with or without typical allopecia. College exams, sickness or death of a loved one, physical trauma, obsessive worrying. When you took that first .25mg pill you either consciously or unconsciously told yourself that.. "this will stop my hairloss", or something even simpler "now I'm dealing with this problem". As an immediate effect, this could immediately lower your stress levels and hence ameliorate your hair loss. I want to point out that this effect is very real, but has NOTHING to do with the actual taking of the drug. It's the placebo effect of taking medication, which is something I think you may have overlooked.

The other point is, that you are dealing with a whole hormonal system in your body which works in phases that are impossible to manifest in physical appearance so quickly. It's not just my opinion, it's medical science. If you do your research on this drug, you will understand exactly what I am saying. This drug doesn't instantly work like magic, which is what you seem to be describing.
  • 08-29-2012 04:15 PM
    khan
    Loomings, after reading your post, I think you might be setting yourself to believe you are getting sides. You stated in your post that you are experiecing mild issues, but you are doing fine on your own every night.

Try not to think too much about taking this drug. My sincere advice is to stay away from hairloss websited the first 6-12months of taking the drug. It will only make matter worse, you will be thinking of it 24/7.

As for the nut discomfort, you can do a simple search on bald truth forum. Most people get this early on, and it goes away.

Whatever you decide it should be your decision. I am not telling you to take the drug or not take the drug. But just know that if you do decide to continue with the drug you are not helping yourself my over analyzing the situtation.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM